Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #1

Eagle Premier Step/Awning Light Seperation

So while installing my EMS I decided to track down the wires for the awning and step lights. Relatively easily mind you so I decided to run a separate line and switch from my panel. In the basement behind an access panel are the brains for the remote system. Tying into that are several key electronic components and breakers for a lot of these systems. On the bottom of one of my panels was a labeled connection, "Patio Light". Plugged into that spade connection was an orange wire which was then tapped into by means of an inline solderless connection feeding another orange wire with white tracer. I decided to separate the 2 and to my delight the amber lights under the steps went off. I then provided 12v current to the white tracer wire and the amber lights came on.

So I snaked a 10ft 14G wire from the panel down to the basement and connected the two. Now on my panel I have an additional space to put in an additional switch to isolate and control the amber lights by themselves. I tapped into a 12V hot wire with "t-tap connectors" as well as the feed line to the amber lights. They are grounded to the frame so only require one 12V line to feed them.

The switch has yet to arrive so could not complete the install, so I took another 2 prong switch to test it out and it did work. The switch is made by Sigma and is a 1-B. Found it on ebay and will confirm if it fits wen I get it. I might flip the locations to match the description but need to possibly move some wire to do so. Once you get in there you'll see what I mean.

With this separation you will loose the remote function of the amber step lights which is NBD in IMHO. The awning and blue front cap lights are still remotely controlled or manual switch as from the factory. Might try to figure out a dimmer on the awning next, but with the switching and 3 way control button it might be harder to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Phone June 2014 136.jpg   Phone June 2014 137.jpg   Phone June 2014 140.jpg   Phone June 2014 139.jpg  

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #2

I have been contemplating this on my 2014 375BHFS. Where did you pick up the 12vdc+?
bigjake710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #3

Right behind the control panel you will see the common wires feeding 12V+ to the variuos switches. Took a little bit of time to figure which was always hot and which was hot only for the 3 way funtion, but easily done.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #4

How in the world did you snake a wire from the panel to the basement. Is their a good path?
Longhorn1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #5

Look at there they connect to the switch. I split mine there and added another switch for the step. Remote now controls only the awning light.
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote