Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2020, 05:23 AM   #1

Electric connection location

This might be a better pole question, but I was wondering what others have run into. My 50 amp cord connects at the very rear, drivers side of my rig. I've see more campers that now have it located(5th wheels) centrally on the side beside water,furnace, basement door, etc. Some campers have them in the back. The parks I frequent normally have the power supply along the camper, but I have been to several that are in front/behind the campsite. I was thinking about moving my power connection to a more central location since I have plenty of room in my basement. My main cord is about 35' and extension cord is 25'. I need the extension cord at the park I go to most because the power supply is at the front. Is it worth moving, or even buying a second inlet connection and wiring a transfer box in so both options are available? I normally stay in the Pennsylvania area, is there a standard location for the power supply at campsites across the USA or am I over thinking this? Thanks
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Site Team

My thought would be overthinking it. In my travels we find many different placing of the pedestal. Depending on so many variables. If there is a standard location, the older parks would likely be grandfathered.
My 50a cord has only not been enough a few times and checking before unhooking corrected the problem.
I carry a 30a ext that could be adapted in a pinch.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
My thought would be overthinking it. In my travels we find many different placing of the pedestal.
X-2 I've been in parks that adjacent sites are even different.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #4

Hard question to answer! I really think it is personal, I too have found the power posts located all over the place. The worst are the ones located on the passenger side of the campsite.

If I was considering it. I would plan to use traditional wiring (not a cord ran through or under the 5ver). So that is a minimum of 8 awg wire, could easily run it under the 5ver in a pvc conduit. Depending on where you are at, you will spend about $0.30 to $0.40 a foot for individual stranded wire (remember times 4) plus the RV receptacle, and conduit. I suspect it will cost about $100 in parts, and some labor. Don't just splice in and allow the original receptacle and new one both hot at the same time. Some kid could open the cover and touch the exposed prongs and get hurt.

A 25 foot, 50 amp RV extension cords look to cost about $100. So it looks to be a wash if you need to buy an extension cord.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote