Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #21

[QUOTE=Rustic Eagle;18930] I do question the 1,300lb rating, didn't know that Equal-i-zer made a 1,300lb rated WDH (400, 600, 1,000, 1,200, & 1,400).[/qoute]

Total UGH!!!! That was a typo and no one caught it til now! LOL. Our WDH is rated 1200lbs. Knowing we would be over 1000 lbs, we went with the 1200

[QUOTE=Rustic Eagle;18930] Also, not sure I'm clear on your statement of "seems to just barely do the job". With the WDH adjusted correctly with the spring bars engaged, the front of your F-150 should be returned to it's "unhitched" height, and it's perfectly 'ok' to experience a 1" to 2" squat with the rear of the F-150. The days of equal squat (TV front/rear) are almost gone with todays TV suspensions.[/qoute]

We really got beat up on this one a couple years ago at rvforum.net and rvforum. There they taught us how to figure if you have too much lift with front of tv after wdh hooked up. With our original Huskey hitch, the difference was 2 1/2 + inches (no better even when adjusted by three different techs). We were blasted for driving down the road and not getting another hitch first. We did ultimately get the Equalizer hitch we originally paid for from dealer. After a few adjustments from dealer, now, our tv front end is within 1" of pre-hook up height and we experience very little if all sway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Since you know the "loaded" tongue weight (just over 1,000lbs), do you know your "loaded" TT weight? Ideally you want your loaded tongue weight to be 13%-15% of the loaded TT weight on a 30ft TT like yours. So, based on your 1,000lb tongue weight figure your loaded TT weight should be around 7,200lbs (13%-15% of 7,200lb = 936lb to 1,080lb loaded tongue weight range). Just for grins I'm assuming your 1,000lb figure fell in the middle of the 13%-15% range. Keep in mind the GVWR of your 2010 Jayco 29BHS is 7,500lbs.

Need to know your actual loaded TT weight as it associated to your 1,000lb tongue weight figure.

Keeping in mind my original post above was made in August 2010, we have finally settled in with what we store in cabinets and storage area's in the front end of tt. Tongue weight runs be 1,050-1075ish pounds (I wasn't specific w/those numbers above when I said "weighs in at just over 1000lbs". Sorry about the confusion, but didn't think I needed to be specific in that particular post. Hypothesizing this would be the case once we loaded up, we asked dealer for the 1,200lb bars. the members at the other rv forums were happy with us on that one! LOL

And yes, we have all of the numbers from last summer when we posted the above (gcvwr, tongue both hitched and unhitched, truck both hitched and not, etc). With those numbers at the time, we fell around the 13% mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Yep, as stated by other members you will have no issues adding the electric tongue jack.

Bob

Actually Bob, you seem willing to work numbers here for others. As it turns out, we are going down to the scales Thursday morning on our way to the cg to see what our current numbers all around are because we have adjusted/added "stuff" to the back of our tv and front of tt. We are pretty certain the way we are loaded now will be the last changes if the numbers pan out. I would love it if I could post the results and you could figure if things are ok; if we remain safe. We would appreciate a second opinion. Would you be able/interested to do that for us?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
snip.......As it turns out, we are going down to the scales Thursday morning on our way to the cg to see what our current numbers all around are because we have adjusted/added "stuff" to the back of our tv and front of tt. We are pretty certain the way we are loaded now will be the last changes if the numbers pan out. I would love it if I could post the results and you could figure if things are ok; if we remain safe. We would appreciate a second opinion. Would you be able/interested to do that for us?
Judi,

Yes, it would be interesting to see your TV/TT CAT scale weights you come up with under loaded conditions.

For those who haven't been to a CAT scale for a TV/TT weigh-in, there are three (3) separate CAT weighs required:

1) TV with TT hitched, with WD spring bars engaged.
2) TV with TT hitched, but with WD spring bars dis-engaged, but hanging in place.
3) TV only.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #23

How is the TT weighed with those three things? Don't you need to weigh the whole rig, in addition to those three?
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
How is the TT weighed with those three things? Don't you need to weigh the whole rig, in addition to those three?
TexasA&M,

My item #1 (first weigh) is the TV & TT hitched together which will give you the TV/TT GCWR.

Just for clarification, most CAT scales have three independent weight platforms (TT axles, TV rear axle, TV front axle).

Please note; The three items (1,2, & 3) that I listed in my prior post represent the three separate trips that you will have to make across the CAT scale, and under what conditions. With the information from these three independent trips across the CAT scale we can confirm all the axle weights, loaded tongue weight, if WDH is adjusted properly, and what limits have been exceeded (if any).

Hope this clarified things a little better.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 04-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #25

Fortunately we will be using scales at a bean factory here in town, so we have plenty of time. Call us curious, but we will once again be taking a few addional weights besides 1-3 above.

No matter, it will be nice to know for certain whether with our heavy tongue and a 1/2 ton will indeed accomodate an electric jack
Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Fortunately we will be using scales at a bean factory here in town, so we have plenty of time. Call us curious, but we will once again be taking a few addional weights besides 1-3 above.

No matter, it will be nice to know for certain whether with our heavy tongue and a 1/2 ton will indeed accomodate an electric jack
Judi, I think the added weight of a electric jack over manual will be minimal. I have one, and my truck is older and less capable then yours. I say go for it and don`t look back. It is a nice upgrade and Healthi`s hubby will appreciate it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #27

Thanks Rustic. Now I understand what you are saying. I need to find a scale that is en route on one of the upcoming trips I'm taking. How do those scales usually work? Do you have to go inside to get the readouts, or is there a booth or something next to them?

I've really only seen one before at a truck stop we pulled over at to get some snacks.
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #28

Quote:
Thanks Rustic. Now I understand what you are saying. I need to find a scale that is en route on one of the upcoming trips I'm taking. How do those scales usually work? Do you have to go inside to get the readouts, or is there a booth or something next to them?

I've really only seen one before at a truck stop we pulled over at to get some snacks.
If your in a city bigger than village, there may be scales near you that are free. We found ours by calling the city offices and they told us about the bean factory. No charge unless you need a certificate for DMV and usually you can take your time. Maybe you can find a local one through google too...
Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip.......How do those scales usually work? Do you have to go inside to get the readouts, or is there a booth or something next to them?........snip
TexasA&M,

If you go to a facility that has a CAT scale (Pilot, Flying J, etc.) it's best to go in and see the clerk before getting on the scale. Advise the clerk that you want to weight a private TV/TT, and state how many times you want to drive over the scale (cheaper). Head to the scale for your first weigh, line up your axles on the platforms, then push the call button (take a yard stick with you, they are placed high for the truckers), then get back in your TV. The clerk will communicate with you via the intercom. When the clerk says he's done, drive off the scales and prepare for you next weigh (if you are taking one). When you have completed your CAT scale weighing, go back in and see the clerk for your weight certificates.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 07-07-2011, 03:36 AM   #30

This is the electric tongue jack I purchsed for my 22FB.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...catname=wheels

I hard wired it directly to the onboard battery, works really well!
Not as sleek looking as a Barker, but gets it done! Much easier on the shoulder!
Big Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #31

I got that when i bought my camper...and love it,..hooking up is not a huge pita,now if i can just find somebody to deal w/those hitch bars....
2003 ford f250 7.3 diesel shortbed-47000 miles
firestone air bags-edge evolution programmer
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote