Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #1

Eliminate slide-out?

First off, can it be done? Or should I ask if it should be done . . .

My slide-out has problems and after giving things a quick look, I think I can secure the outer wall and seal everything up easier and cheaper than the repairs. I don't really like the slide-out and I'm am not worried about resale value, the trailer is a '93; and I want to remodel the interior anyway. Would there be any other factors to consider?
Rowsdower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 PM   #2

It could be done. I could think of a few different ways of doing it. But I have never heard of anyone wanting to do it.

With a 24 year old tt, I could foreser numberous potential issues. May I ask, whaT is wrong with the slide out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:42 PM   #3

Eliminate slide-out?

Other than making sure you can seal it up against weather, go for it. Something about patching a ginormous hole in the side of my camper, the size of a slide out - concerns me, but I'm a when it comes to big holes in structures I sleep in.

Edit... I'm not sure I understand actually... you want to physically rip out your slide, or... just maybe not use it? Why would you remove it if you can just 'unplug it' and not use it ever again? What do you mean by 'eliminate'? Mod the interior as you like. Even in the 2017's nobody is forcing you to use the slide if you don't really want to.

We have a lot of posts on here about people debating if it's ok to 'sit in the slide' when it is retracted' so you'll want to consider the ramifications of using the floor of your slide, while not slided out if you planned on keeping your camper 'intact'.

Not clear on if you plan on 'deleting' your slide out, or just using your camper without using(extending) it...
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:57 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum by the way, noticed first post after my last, somewhat cryptic reply to your question.

Trust that others will chime in too.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome!

My idea in a nutshell is to slide the slide-out back in, seal and secure the outer wall (the "back" of the slide-out) to the opening's frame and then remove the slide-out's side walls, ceiling and floor from the inside.

The slide-out has some leaks and a lot of water comes in under the floor when it rains. It has already damaged the carpet and I think the trailer floor underneath may need repair as well. As I understand it, I would need to remove the slide-out completely to repair. I live in the trailer and would have to find another place to stay while everything was apart, and put all my stuff in storage again.

Plus, I don't really like the slide-out. It doesn't add much room when out, but takes up a lot of space when it's in. The ceiling is a lot lower and when I go to sit down or want to stand up, I bang my head. The sleeper-sofa in the slide-out is broken, too. But hey, it was cheap and has kept the rain off my head for the past year-and-change.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

My idea in a nutshell is to slide the slide-out back in, seal and secure the outer wall (the "back" of the slide-out) to the opening's frame and then remove the slide-out's side walls, ceiling and floor from the inside.

The slide-out has some leaks and a lot of water comes in under the floor when it rains. It has already damaged the carpet and I think the trailer floor underneath may need repair as well. As I understand it, I would need to remove the slide-out completely to repair. I live in the trailer and would have to find another place to stay while everything was apart, and put all my stuff in storage again.

Plus, I don't really like the slide-out. It doesn't add much room when out, but takes up a lot of space when it's in. The ceiling is a lot lower and when I go to sit down or want to stand up, I bang my head. The sleeper-sofa in the slide-out is broken, too. But hey, it was cheap and has kept the rain off my head for the past year-and-change.
I guess if this was a stationary trailer, I'd say go for it. Concerned a little about weather penetration and road worthiness with these mods. I don't know enough about the specs of your unit to advise further. If you have the tools and the skill set you can make this work. I just can't advise a specific approach to take.

Any chance you can trade it in before you cannibalize it? I see people on the forum that have more money than they know what to do with, and others that are just trying to survive... not sure where you fall in that spectrum, but I personally would never do this to a camper I ever planed on selling down the road. Just me though. We have a lot of people here that are WAY MORE skilled than me in these matters. I hope they chime in and I wish you the best.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:31 AM   #7
Site Team

Welcome to JOF, this is a friendly bunch and we hope you can sense that even early. As others stated, I have never heard of doing what you have done but I am sure it has because been done by someone as the bible says, "There is nothing new under the Sun."

You did not mention the size or brand of camper and the condition of the rest of it. I would do a little more research before diving in as it may be more expensive long term than finding an alternate.

I'm not sure about any of it with the limited info provided so far but wish you well.
One thing I think you stated is that the trailer will not be towed so this will render the rig unusable for anything else but a permanent residence.

Factors I would also consider:
1. How the outside wall be attached and weatherproofed when the inside walls and roof are removed. It will tend to be unstable. Maybe some Eternabond on the outside to seal it.

2. If you are concerned on how the inside will look, there will have to be some patchwork done to match the existing to what is left after the walls are removed. Seems like a lot of effort for little payback. I don't know the circumstances.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #8

Eliminate slide-out?

Other than, 'Welcome to the forum', I got nothin'.

Can it be done - sure. Why should it be done - ? How should it be done - ?

As others have said, it may not be a tow-able trailer after such an extensive modification, but that may not be an issue.

Best of luck with your project. Please let us know how it goes... and maybe photos.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #9

BRILLIANT username.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
BRILLIANT username.
I don't get it without more info.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

The Final Sacrifice, greatest film ever made.

Thank you all for the input. After another, more detailed look in better light and less beer I am focusing on other issues right now, the main one being that if I wish to keep this trailer (1993 Jayco 265 5th wheel with slide-out) to customize or otherwise, I need a truck that can tow it and, stalwart though she be, my faithful Dodge Dakota Fanning isn't up to the task. In a perfect world I would rather keep the truck, but I wish to leave soon.

Thanks again, folks!
Old 02-29-2024, 07:48 PM   #12

I have a class C 22J that I am in the middle of removing the slide. It’s a simple job and when it comes out, I’ll be using the original skin and some aluminum uprights and some Asdale.
4wdclassc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 07:01 PM   #13

Resale's probably the least concern on a '94 camper with leaks and need of a remodel.

I would lean toward removing the slide and building a wall there rather than trying to permanently attach the outer wall of the slide. Then you can permanently seal it and remove the mechanism rather than trying to patch the slider wall in that's meant to be a slide.
Russc25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, eagle, modifications, remodel, slide out problems