Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #21

X2 on the hum...

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #22

I ordered the EMS-PT50C this past Friday, 4-27-2012, from CW. They had a good price and free shipping. It was advertised as to ship from manufacturer with a delivery time of 2-3 weeks. It was delivered today 5-1-2012. I couldn't believe it. Is this great service from both companies or what?

Now for the reason I bought this unit. It is installed and all is well with power this this site. I hope it stays that way, but I definitely feel better.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by David472 View Post
Okay on the contactor. From the picture, I thought it might have been a solid state relay. Contactors can be noisy and slow.
I thought the same thing when I looked at it initially. My guess is they went with a contactor over solid state because of the heat dissipation needed as well as the added cost. Actually don't mind that munch because they are pretty cheap and easy to find if it ever goes out.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:52 PM   #24

We ordered the same EMS-LCHW30 from Camping World, got it today and it's installed thanks to all the posts on this forum. What we couldn't figure out is where the jumper is to remove for the delay. We rarely use A/C here in western Washington and haven't figured out if our A/C has a delay but would like to identify the jumper if we decide to remove it. What we did figure out right off is the plug we have used for our trailers the past few years has reverse polarity!
ClintMyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #25

Try this post and see if it helps: http://www.jaycoowners.com/showpost....3&postcount=11

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #26

Just came back from our 1st dry camping trip with the Jayco + surge...needed to charge our batteries so powered up the generator and got an "open ground" error so no power to the trailer. Just starting to research to see if we are now unable to plug the trailer cord into the generator to charge up but does anyone know? We had a battery charger so moved the generator to the front of the trailer and charged them that way but prefer using the trailer cord. Thanks if you have any ideas!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #27

Did you put the EMS into the bypass mode? I contacted Progressive Industries prior to purchasing mine posing the question of the "open ground" error when using the generator. They assured me that you can put the EMS into the bypass mode and you should receive power from the generator.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #28

Didn't know there is a bypass mode. Don't remember seeing it in the little install brochure but will find out how to do that as our next planned trip is dry camping again. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #29

If you have the remote display it is the switch on the display. I believe the internal display unit has a blue jumper that bypasses it.

Clint was mentioning the delay jumper - in mine, it was white. I have mine set to long delay...I just feel like it is good extra protection no matter what the A/C delay time. I do get a little impatient waiting for the power to come on when I initially hook up...but worth it!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #30

Have you seen many EMS codes since the 2011 HW30C install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I've been putting it off for a couple of years, but I finally broke down and purchased a Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System), simply put "a surge protector".

The manufacture is Progressive Industries, and the model number is EMS-LCHW30. This is a hardwired in-line model with an integrated digital scrolling display, but there is another model that has a remote digital scrolling display (EMS-HW30C).

Some of the features of the EMS-LCHW30 are:

* Surge Protection
* High/Low Voltage Protection
* Polarity Protection
* A/C Compressor Time Delay
* Open Neutral/Open Ground Protection
* Display reads: Source Voltage, Amp Draw, Source Frequency, and Fault Codes
* The EMS box can be mounted horizontally or vertically, plus for viewing the digital display it has four plug-in positions to accommodate the EMS box mounting preference.

Manufacturer's Product Information: https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_lchw30.htm

I purchased my unit from: https://tweetys.com/electrical-manag...re-30-AMP.aspx They have been a great source for RV accessories, and will price match (which they did on my EMS purchase).

The installation:

Locating a place to install this particular unit will very depending on one's floor plan and 30amp wiring location. In my case the location I chose was ideal and provided a means for easy access and viewing of the display.

My water/cable/electrical connections are located at the street-side rear corner of my TT, and can be accessed inside the TT by sliding a panel out of the way:

What made the location ideal was that it also housed the junction box for the 30amp shore cable, so in theory all I had to do was replace the junction box with the EMS unit.

The installation instructions supplied were easy to follow, and considering I'm more comfortable with a 1/2" drive ratchet in my hand says a lot!

Mounting the EMS to the side of my 30amp power cord storage box provided a better view of the digital display, and kept it clear of the carpet in the event it got wet. I wasn't sure if the EMS box would get warm during operation, so I used some spacers with the four mounting screws thus creating a 1/4" air gap between the EMS box and the mounting surface. It's not seen in the photo, but I do have the 30amp shore cord clamped to the floor so it can't be accidentally pulled at/or around the EMS box.

The EMS unit has a built in time delay for the A/C compressor in the event of a source power or EMS interruption. The unit comes with two different time delays, 15 seconds and 136 seconds. The default is 15 seconds, and 136 seconds (use if existing A/C doesn't have it's own built in time delay) which can be enabled by removing the supplied circuit board jumper. I have yet to determine if my Coleman Mach A/C has it's own time delay...., and with the help of JOF member "Quahog" we hope to confirm this ASAP.

Once I plugged my shore power back up, the EMS unit takes a few seconds to check the source power, then the power is released to the TT electrical system.

One mod always seems to lead to another, so I'm considering installing a Marinco detachable power conversion kit https://tweetys.com/detachable-power...sion-kits.aspx. Another option would be to make my own by purchasing a male 30 amp plug and a female outlet. Cut off the RV cord coming from the EMS unit leaving 2 feet hanging outside the TT and attach the male plug at the end. Then attach the female plug onto the remaining 30 amp shore power cord.

It will be interesting to see what type of fault codes the EMS unit displays as I venture into different CG's.

Bob
Rustic Eagle - I believe you are in a different TT now; but I wonder if you have found the EMS is necessary compared to a simple surge protector??? I have decided to go with an external unit with my 24RBS...either surge protector or EMS; but the external EMS units, as I understand them, are 'spent' after a surge event as the surge protection cannot be restored like it can be in an internally mounted EMS. Thanks in advance.
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:10 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Lafayettemo,

Welcome to JOF

I removed my EMS from my '05' Eagle and installed it in my new '18' JayFlight and continues to provide protection.

IMO any type/degree of surge protection whether internal mounted or external (portable) is a cost effective investment. I personally found the internal mounted EMS a little easier to deal with than a portable device, and liked the overall EMS features.

I'm not familiar with a portable "EMS" unit other than they tend to be a little more expensive then a hardwired EMS unit.., and if a repair is required the portable EMS unit has to be sent back to the manufacture. A hardwired EMS in most cases can be repaired "on-site" by replacing the circuit board.

Also, I question that a portable EMS unit would be "spent" after any given power surge event.., don't recall hearing that as a predictable result.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #32

Rustic Eagle, thank you. Another question: have you had the EMS respond to power issues (voltage too high, voltage too low or frequency drift) and then turn the power off? Or to ask another way, have you found from your experience that the added protection of EMS compared to just Surge protection was needed? Thanks.
Lafayettemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayettemo View Post
snip.....Or to ask another way, have you found from your experience that the added protection of EMS compared to just Surge protection was needed? Thanks.
A couple years ago with my '05' Eagle I after plugging into shore power at a CG (campground) and after the normal 2 minute delay, I still didn't have power to my TT. Checked my plug connection at the power pedestal and all seamed ok, then went back in the TT to check the EMS. The EMS showed an 'open ground' error code. The CG owner came to my site did some testing at the power pedestal, replaced some electrical components...., 30 minutes later I had power to my TT.

I don't recall the error code on my EMS...., but the year after purchasing (2012) my EMS a CG in Missouri took a lighting strike during the night and didn't realize anything had happened until the next morning. There were only handful of us camping in the CG and the RV's that didn't have some sort of power source "protection" did incur different degrees of electrical damage. I remember a couple rigs had their auto leveling circuit fried and two others had their Direct TV system toasted. They were all at the CG office when I first heard about the lighting strike.

I travel extensively and frequently camp at CG's that I'm not familiar with and IMO this can raise the possibility of an electrical power source event.

To-date I haven't incurred any power issues with my new '18' Jay Flight camping.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:01 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayettemo View Post
Rustic Eagle, thank you. Another question: have you had the EMS respond to power issues (voltage too high, voltage too low or frequency drift) and then turn the power off? Or to ask another way, have you found from your experience that the added protection of EMS compared to just Surge protection was needed? Thanks.
Not trying to butt in here - I installed the 50 amp version this past season and it disconnected my rv repeatedly with a low voltage condition (103 volts) this was happening during high usage especially during the hot july 4th weekend. I switched over to my generator instead of park power during theses events.

I suspect raising this to my neighbors (most are seasonal full summer residents) and the camp management, caused a re-wiring project to be expedited by a year and is in progress currently instead of waiting a couple of years.
Gizmopilot is offline   Reply With Quote