Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 AM   #1

Feather Lite 226 Walls Question

I'm thinking of cutting an access door on the outside wall that will allow easy access to the storage under the dining seat...Are there any type of beams in the walls that would be a problem? Thanks Steve
stevencina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencina View Post
I'm thinking of cutting an access door on the outside wall that will allow easy access to the storage under the dining seat...Are there any type of beams in the walls that would be a problem? Thanks Steve
Depends on where you want to cut. An electronic stud finder might help you find out but you could also contact Jayco to see if they could send you a diagram of the framing.

To get better access to your storage space under the dinette seats, you could make deep drawers like like the ones on some of the Eagles. If the dinette bench has a cabinet door at the end, you could use the door itself as a drawer front. the drawer itself would be a long, skinny, open top box close to the length of the bench. The front of the drawer would just rest on the cabinet door opening frame and the rear would just set on some wheels that would roll on the floor. It could be kept cloed with cabinet latches like other drawers in the TT. I couldn't find a picture of one but mayhap one of the Eagle owners would be willing to take and post some showing the drawer both partially pulled out and fully removed to show how it was made.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #3

Feather Lite 226 Walls

Thanks for the reply, I am in the process of contacting jayco...Your idea is good but i was looking to use this space from the outside to store a patio mat and maybe some of my fishing gear.. I thought it would be cleaner and neater from the outside..Thanks again, Steve
stevencina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencina View Post
Thanks for the reply, I am in the process of contacting jayco...Your idea is good but i was looking to use this space from the outside to store a patio mat and maybe some of my fishing gear.. I thought it would be cleaner and neater from the outside..Thanks again, Steve
Good point. Pictures! We want to see pictures of how it turns out!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

I would love to see how you make out with that as well. I'd love to cut out a space for a second door in our trailer. My plan is to use the existing oblong window in the bedroom as the centerpiece for the new door. We would feel safer if there were another exit at the bedroom end aside from the emergency widow exit by my side of the bed. Please post some pics and possibly tell us if you used the cut out piece for the door thanks again
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote