Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #21

Hi Angus,
No, I don't think your missing something. It's just a matter of personal choice. Since I didn't have any "stock" storage for longer sewer hose I chose to use the 5x5 vinyl post to store the sewer hose. The fact that I didn't have to mess around taking off the end adapter on the sewer hose seemed to be another plus in using the 5x5 post. After all was said & done it works fine & looks decent too. Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I bought the rhino flex kit when we bought our TT. The hose fits in the stock bumper once you take off the end adapters. Am I missing something? Why the 5 in posts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Viking View Post
Hi Angus,
No, I don't think your missing something. It's just a matter of personal choice. Since I didn't have any "stock" storage for longer sewer hose I chose to use the 5x5 vinyl post to store the sewer hose. The fact that I didn't have to mess around taking off the end adapter on the sewer hose seemed to be another plus in using the 5x5 post. After all was said & done it works fine & looks decent too. Jerry
Also, it's been noted that when storing wet sewer hoses inside the bumper, it's been known to rust pretty severely over time. I store mine in the bumper for a year and a half, and haven't noticed any rust, but I also store my hose with end caps installed on the hose itself. If I ever see evidence of rust beginning to form inside the bumper, I'll be trotting down to the store to pick up a piece of vinyl or PVC to store my hose in.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #23

My first Jayco (2005 Escapade) rusted inside the bumper. I painted the inside of the bumper and took care of this problem. My current Jayco has paint on the interior of the bumper so it's good to go. Rhino hose fits just fine inside the bumper but I do have to take the adapter off.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 AM   #24

I installed a 4" vinyl post with stainless u bolts and hardware. My sewer hose fits with the endcaps turned so the bayonet fittings are in the corners. Doesn't matter with my setup but I keep the caps on both ends on my hose to keep all the wet smelly residue inside the hose after it's been flushed with freshwater.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #25

I have a 5" fence post sleeve also, just mounted it to the bumper with 1/4" hex head bolts, with fender washer inside the fence post sleeve to help spread the force out. I did space it up with 1/2" nuts (fender washer between teh 1/2" nut and fence post sleeve) to clear the spare tire mount u bolts, and the clothes line u bolts.

But I still haven't found the "ideal" way to secure the end caps. What is the best method you guys have found?

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #26

Mine are just screwed on with a couple of stainless screws. Simple and works. Only thing is I need a screwdriver to get them off. For me that's not a problem, I keep a toolbag in all my vehicles and I have a basic set of tools in the TT. All are easily accessible. I've seen some guys put small hinges on them as well as a small fence catch or cabinet latch. It either needs to be stainless or brass. Anything else(zinc) Will rust away pretty quickly.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 AM   #27

Location: Burson, CA In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mts.
I used some spring loaded cabinet hinges in white powder coat. Got them at Lowes. Used pop rivets to fasten to fence post and in over 3 years of use they have held up fine. I suggest the ones with a slight off set for proper fit. With these hinges there is no need for a latch or hasp of any kind because there is enough tension on the hinge to keep the caps closed.

Steve

Steve, Berne and Rascal
2012 Jayco 31.5 RLTS
2007 F250 Powerstroke
Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #28

Reply to fence post sewer pipe storage need help

Prior to installing it on the bumper I drilled & tapped (3) 1/4"-20NC threaded holes on each end of the sewer pipe. I then threaded the (6) 1/4"-20NC x 5/8" long Stainless Steel round headed screws (from the inside of fence post) into the fence post leaving threads exposed on outside. I had purchased two 5"x5" end caps at HD when I purchased the fence post, so I installed then onto the ends untill they contacted the screw threads, then marked the end caps so I could cut slots in the end caps deep enough to allow the caps to be completely installed. Once installed I threaded on (6) 1/4" stainless steel wing nuts. This worked well for me. Need to mention that I used washers between bumper & bottom of 5x5 fence post when I installed it so to leave enough clearance to slip end caps on fence post. I know a lot of folks glue one end cap on their sewer storage, but I wanted to be able to access from both ends, which I'm glad I did. I keep my short sewer hose (which seems to be used most) on the drivers side & my long extension sewer hose on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old_Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 PM   #29
Site Team

Fence post sewer pipe storage need help

Many use cooler hinges. They can be purchased many places. Here is one: Amazon.com: coleman replacement hinges

I use a small hasp to secure mine, and secure the hinge and hasp with pop rivets.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436120721.474552.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	19038
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #30

My thought when installing the additional sewer storage was how heavy is the fence post with the sewer hose was, which is not heavy at all. I even store all the fittings in there as well. For mounting, I just used the existing weld on mount on my frame, drilled two 3/8" holes on each side and ran stainless carriage bolts from inside out. Works perfectly. Just went to the corner hardware store in town and bought stainless rope lanyard and bag of small bungee cords. Done.

I see some ingenious mounting ideas on this post with U bolts etc, I just thought with the few pounds this tube / Rhino hose weighs, its not going anywhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2943.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	19041

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2944.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	19042
Firefighter78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #31

TY for the suggestions!

Need to get a second fence post sleeve mounted as I have a GPL 7' folding ladder that will be stored in one, sewer hose in the other.

Cleaned out the bumper with some bleach, put a cut down 4" gutter inside. and store the hot dog sticks on one side, and the fire tongs and poker on the other side.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote