Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #1

Finally installed my Wet Bolt Kit this weekend

I purchased my Wet Bolt Kit in late April hoping to install the kit after Mother's Day camping trip.

We returned from Mother's Day camping trip and I was excited to start the process.

I got the curb side of the trailer up on floor jacks, jack stands and removed the wheels. I got all my tools ready to remove the first nut only to realize the rust on the nut and bolts would require more force than my 3 foot breaker bar would apply.

I run to the local auto parts store to purchase a nut splitter. I will tell you that any nut splitter that has a set screw is COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.
I went through 2 of them on my first nut and it still would not split the nut without breaking the set screw.

I put the tires back on so we could go camping the next weekend for Memorial Weekend.

Fast forward to this weekend. I am so thankful I have a fantastic neighbor who has a gas torch and a free Saturday to help me.
We spent about 10 minutes cutting off the nuts and heating the bolts to be able to remove and replace.

Once we removed them, it took me about 1 hour to replace and align everything.

Most of the day was spent repacking bearings, adjusting brakes and a deep cleaning of tires and rims while they were removed,

All in all, I am happy I did this mod and once I saw how crappy the plastic bushings were, I am convinced they would not have lasted another year.

After owning my Eagle 314BDS since new in 2013, I can tell you that I feel more confident about the safety of me, my family and everyone on the road around me.

Thank you to all who guided me through this install and tips on making sure the bolts faced the proper way.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

I learned a long time ago from a mechanic family member that “Anti Seize” is worth its weight in gold on bolts the will see a lot of weather. It’s messy, hard to get off of your hands so wear gloves, and a small can will last you almost a lifetime. It coats the threads and prevents rust from forming causing problems like you had.
Congrats on the kit, my plastic bushings were all but dust when I did mine. Cheap junk that has no business on a suspension.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote