Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #1

Foam Floor Mats in a A-Frame

In my Hardwall BSB we noticed a lot of heat loss through the floor. Which is obviously not insulated. Being as I am in a cooler environment, it seemed sensible to add foam floor mats for a simple comfort modification.

So I found some nice looking mats which surprised me as I had only ever seen grey and primary colors for children. So finding a "Wood" look was very cool.
Each pack was 4 tiles aprox 2' x 2' and the floor was covered by 3 of these packages. 15$ each x 3 = 45$ (CAD)

Not wanting to screw up the cuts (because there were only 3 packages of these in the norther half of my province based on the stores website.)

I used a package of card stock 3'x2' at the cost of 5$ (CAD) to create a template to cut against.

I quickly was disappointed with Jayco.... apparently the company does not own a square. Not One corner was square, and not one straight edge was actually strait. Many bowed, and no two surfaces ran parallel to one another. This means that if you want it to look good. creating a template is a REQUIRED step not a recommended one.

Once I had the template I assembled the tile the best way I could that would interlock with the least visible joints. And then placed our template over it. Centered at the best possible angle and taped it in place (Similar to spot welding)

Marked in the edges and cut with a 'very sharp' exacto blade.

The end result is pictured here.....

it is a warm, comfortable fatigue mat style of flooring that is low enough all my doors (including the fridge) opens without scraping against it. Even if it rips up a little or gets depressions in it... it will always look better the just the standard grey mats in my basement that I was going to use LOL.

any particular tile gets bad it can be pulled and cleaned off or even replaced as necisary.

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nice job. How thick are they? Very creative and looks great.
Let us know how much improvement you notice.

D.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Nice job. How thick are they? Very creative and looks great.
Let us know how much improvement you notice.

D.

They are .47" thick... and only about 6 lbs total added weight if people are worried

They were warm under my feet and comfortable instantly. I will update on this once we have gone out camping.

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote