Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 AM   #1

Gas charged shock for bed

Trying to find something to use up my $30 gift card I bought a pair of gas shocks for the bed in our Jayco. It wasn't a kit so no instructions.
I went to you tube an there's not much out there unless you bought a kit so my question is has anyone installed these using the replacement shocks an brackets from ground zero?
The bed is 2 pieces of plywood attached with 3 supports to make 1 piece. If I learned anything from the You Tube videos is that I need to place 2x4's on the sides for strength an cut wood blocks to make the connection to the plywood for the mattress. But every video I watched the beds were either small or had a hinge on the plywood so they were only opening a small portion for access.
To get all the opening I can get with 20" shocks I presume I should go as close to the head of the bed as I can. But were the plywood meets is just over halfway towards the head of the bed. Should I install the shock on the piece that goes to the foot of the bed or would I be okay mounting to the piece that goes towards the headboard? Once I install the one end of the shock to the side of the storage compartment how do I determine where to install the other end to the plywood so it closes without binding the shock or running out of shock an having to redo it? I know it can't be straight up an down but is there a magical degree?
I must say this is the first time You Tube has let me down. I thought surely someone out there just bought a pair of these an figured it out an installed them without instructions.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

I know this is an old thread, but curious if you found a solution to do this..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:21 PM   #3

It is all in the geometry. You have to mount the ends so they fully extend to hold the bed up. But you have to be sure the mounts arent too close together when closed so you dont run out of copmression stroke on the strut. I would be making marks and using a tape measure so I got the mounts right with the first set of holes. You might have to have the struts at the correct angle to support the bed when open.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 07:30 PM   #4

I just ordered some last night. I'll probably install them on the same brackets. I'm replacing 100# with 120# due to heavier mattress. I've looked at it and not sure if I want to mess with trying to make it open farther. I did see instructions on one of the brands I was shopping for. If I can find them again, I'll share a link.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
I just ordered some last night. I'll probably install them on the same brackets. I'm replacing 100# with 120# due to heavier mattress. I've looked at it and not sure if I want to mess with trying to make it open farther. I did see instructions on one of the brands I was shopping for. If I can find them again, I'll share a link.
There is a neat gas spring calculator on site below. Their gas springs are pretty pricey, but you can get a idea of correct spring for your application and order from EBay. https://www.gasspringsshop.com/
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Here's the Hatchlift instructions for their kits. Might be of some help.

https://www.hatchlift.com/bedlift-kits-installation

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #7

I installed my lifts with the supplied screws and found out after a few uses that the wood was cracking around them. So I went back to Ace and got small bolts, large washers as I could get installed and locking cap nuts.

Drilled and installed them and no problems since. There is both weight and torque and screws aren't the answer in an RV in my opinion.

Hope this helps!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote