Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #21

The largest RISK w/ NOT turning off breaker at Shoreline pole is more the ARC damage to your plug prongs or the receptacle, and you (can) draw a BIG arc if plugging/ unplugging w/ equipment like AC unit or Converter drawing high amps; and we all know that the Plugs/ Receptacles are the HIGHEST RISK AND MOST FREQUENTLY DAMAGED, so (Now we know) that it was YOU who did it, LOL :-) :-( Seriously though, A breaker or switch, being spring loaded, will Open/ close much faster minimizing the arc, and keeping it inside the device, not leaving arc-flash metal tits on the prongs of the plug/ receptacle that keep the (next user) from getting good contact on their plug :-( Thus, the use of the breaker at the shore pole box before plugging/ unplugging is the encouraged RV BEST PRACTICE. Not to mention that you (might be) arc damaging the plug/ receptacle on your $300-$600 surge protector/ EMS?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsleet View Post
Plug into the 15 amp 110 volt plug with no problem but if you have a 30 amp twistlock on the generator that could be a 220 volt outlet and not the same as a 30 amp rv plug

I was wondering when someone was going to post about this, this was my first thought. Not knowing what generator is being referenced, most I know of would not put out 30 amp without a rework. 15 amp pigtail only otherwise.
ruralIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:00 AM   #23

I always turn off the main power disconnect inside the door first. Then, I turn off the breakers on the pedestal before plugging in. I have a power analyzer on the shore power connection which shows me if the power is wired correctly before I turn the main power back on inside. I will have to get a new power analyzer soon because it is showing damage from loose connections in some pedestals we have used.

Before we bought our Alante, we rented a Winnie to see if we liked the experience and its generator had a plug for the shore power cord.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #24
Site Team

You just have to know and be familiar with your equipment.

Most generators that put out 30 a will have it clearly marked and it will likely be a 3 prong twist lock plug. You can buy an adapter most anywhere, I saw them a Lowes yesterday, for less than $5 bucks to allow your 30a power cord to easily attach.

BTW, Our local Lowes now has an RV specific section in the plumbing aisle with all kinds of replacement parts for rv faucets and sink hardware.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #25

On my genne it stabilizes first before starting power. But I have forgot to shut off the main breaker at the pedestal before and blew most of the smaller fuses in my 5ver and trying to find some of them was not fun. So now I always make sure the breaker is off.
rhersh is offline   Reply With Quote