Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #1

golf cart batteries

question on converting to golf cart batteries. Do you need to do anything to your inverter for charging the batteries and can you use a regular 12v battery charger?
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabat View Post
snip..... Do you need to do anything to your inverter for charging the batteries and can you use a regular 12v battery charger?
Do you mean "converter/charger" rather then "inverter"...., two different products and two different functions. Most RV's come with a converter (converts 110v to 12v)/charger...., some folks may add a stand alone 'inverter' that converts 12v to 110v.

I have two 6v deep cycle/golf cart batteries installed in my TT, connected in series thus producing 12v.

In the case of the basic converter/charger no changes are required...., but some folks may replace the older units (2-stage) with a newer 'smart' converter/charger (3 & 4 stage) that provides enhanced battery(s) performance and maintenance. Most of Jayco's newer RV's already have the 'smart' converter/chargers.

Yes, a standard 12v battery charger can still be used, proper hook-up should be confirmed when dealing with multiple batteries.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #3

No. Just make sure to connect the pair of 6V batteries in series and your converter will charge the batteries just fine.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #4

I replaced my single 12v battery for two golf cart batteries with no issues. I just had to do my homework to ensure I hooked everything up properly. It's not rocket science until your standing in front of the tt trying to remember which wires go where. I take my batteries off for the winter but keep them hooked up together to charge them with a 12v charger.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #5

The rule of thumb for me is to have my converter/charger with at least enough output capacity to handle 20AMPS of current for each battery in the battery bank. In your case the two 6VDC batteries will want to have around 40 AMPS of available DC current to charge them especially if you want to re-charge them back to at least 90% charge state in a three hour charge time which most folks like to do when camping off the power grid.

I would think your converter/charger should be rated around 45 AMPS for your two installed 6VDC batteries. Your two 6VDC batteries connected in series will be considered a large 12VDC battery as for as your converter/charger unit is concerned.

If your converter/charger is lower than this then it will eventually re-charge your batteries back up but this might be a good time to also change your converter/charger to a smart mode 45 AMP converter/charger. The 45 AMP smart mode unit will maintain your two 6VDC batteries in series very nice. The PD4645 or PD9245 units would be a good smart mode converter/charger unit to have.

Most folks steer away from the WFCO Converter/charger products as they sometimes don't always go into the required 14.4VDC charge mode when you think they should.

If you think you may want to upgrade to a smart mode converter/charger unit let the net here know what you currently have.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote