Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #1

Gonna do some "under trailer neon"

Hey internet friends.

I wanna do LEDs under the trailer. Weve had them under the awning and just not a fan.

I've seen a couple trailers done on the interwebs but not much info on the mods. Anyone on here doing it??

So far I know I wanna run them straight off the battery with a switch or the controller tucked into the battery box. Now I can either run a straight line of LEDs right down the door side of the trailer, right behind the stairs. Or second idea is running 4x 24" strips around each Jack area.

Suggestions? Discussion? I know everyone likes when stuff lights up! Let's talk and I'll do it in 2 weeks with lots of pics and blah blah blah!!
Old 04-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #2

You might want to check with your local DOT inspection station... All these lights come under their jurisdiction... They don't want anything to accidently come ON when being pulled down their public roadways...

Seems like back in my days of off-road jeeps and things everytime I messed with the safety light zones I always had to tear it all out before the DOT would pass me for Safety Inspection time haha.... We used to be able to put socks over added front and back lights but I know all of those are banned now too...

I added backup lights once but they were installed with a switch in the trailer and not connected to my REVERSE setup... Those had to be removed haha... They told I could move those to the side rear of the trailer which was better for me anyway... Can't see behind the trailer anyway...

Same thing on fancy LED lights in the front grill of my truck... Those would not pass either...

Just saying - check with DOT SAFETY Inspection first before putting a lot of money into it... Might not be legal in your license state. They also have to have DOT Acceptance Numbers stamped into the lens covers too it seems...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:46 PM   #3

Trailet literally drives from the storage lot to the lake lot (8 min), until a full time lot opens for us this season or next. So not really a worry to me, but thanks for the tip!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:44 PM   #4

Under Trailer Lights for backing up

I did my trailer about 8yrs ago and they are still working great. We have pullled into many campsites after dark and they help with backing up and set-up. I have 4 strips of LED lights mounted under the trailer and facing down to light up the stabilizer jacks area. They are wired into the light switch on the hitch power jack so when the from jack light is on, the under trailer lights are on as well. Also wired it into the backup lights connection comming from the truck so they are on automatically when backing up. (There are some diodes to isolate the trailer battery source from the trucks backup light circuit to avoid backfeeding the truck). They light up the ground about 4-5 ft out from the trailer corners enough to see the rocks/trees I might miss.

Hope that helps
Rob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0309.jpg   IMG_0311.jpg  
RobertC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

^^^ that's a huge help! How big are the strips?
Old 04-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
I did my trailer about 8yrs ago and they are still working great. We have pullled into many campsites after dark and they help with backing up and set-up. I have 4 strips of LED lights mounted under the trailer and facing down to light up the stabilizer jacks area. They are wired into the light switch on the hitch power jack so when the from jack light is on, the under trailer lights are on as well. Also wired it into the backup lights connection comming from the truck so they are on automatically when backing up. (There are some diodes to isolate the trailer battery source from the trucks backup light circuit to avoid backfeeding the truck). They light up the ground about 4-5 ft out from the trailer corners enough to see the rocks/trees I might miss.

Hope that helps
Rob
I like that mod, looks like you have a x213 too?
Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #7

Welp, pulled the trigger and ordered a set off Amazon.

Justech 4x8 Colors LED Neon Undercar Glow light 8 Colors 12V RGB Car Chassis Light Underglow Atmosphere Decorative Bar Lights Kit with Sound Active and Wireless Remote Control for Car Bumper Car Bottom https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07FVY87G5/..._GAMXCbWNNFXSB
Old 04-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #8

Each strip is about 18".
Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 PM   #9

Yes and a Dodge Truck too!!!