Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 AM   #1

Greyhawk 12 Volt System Upgrade

After some issues with our current battery situation, We decided to upgrade our system. Below are pictures of the pre-build upgrade. I will post pictures throughout the build for anyone interested in following the process. Before I go any further I want to give a big SHOUT OUT to my man RoyBraddy, JOF member, who has been invaluable to me as we planned this build.

For reference, we had 2 Interstate Batteries, SRM-29 wired in series that went bad. After talking with RoyBraddy, I realized one of my problems was ALL cables were not the same length which was a major contributor to our problem. So we are replacing all cables from the batteries to a marine battery switch. Also, I wanted to add an on board battery charger as a means of maintaining the batteries in an optimum state during storage. As a matter of safety we will add a circuit breaker in the power line from the battery switch to the coach. We are replacing the interstate batteries with 2 Trojan T-1275 12 volt batteries.

Again, I will post pictures of the build throughout the process. I plan to begin the build this Friday. Here's what we have so far excluding pictures of the 4-gauge battery cables.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2722.JPG   IMG_2725.JPG   IMG_2726.JPG  
Old 04-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

Don't you mean in parallel? Or are the batteries 6V that went bad? Also curious about the wires not being the same length? Which wires specifically are you referring ?

Interested in your ongoing install.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Don't you mean in parallel? Or are the batteries 6V that went bad? Also curious about the wires not being the same length? Which wires specifically are you referring ?

Hey Bruce, t's not what I say it what I meant (At least that's what I hear at home occasionally). Yes, it was 2 -12 volt batteries hooked up in parallel. Also, in the previous setup the positive & ground cables to the 2 batteries were not equal lengths resulting in an uneven drain on the batteries causing premature failure.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reitrof View Post
Also curious about the wires not being the same length? Which wires specifically are you referring ?

The length of the cables connected to the batteries positive terminal to the load termination and the negative terminal to the frame ground connector should be as close in length as possible (internal wire resistance). In the RV industry this is a little difficult, but the cables from the battery to the 120 volt inverter should be as close in length as possible, as you will be pumping anywhere from 10 to 100 amps over those cables.

This is really critical in a regular home SOLAR installation, where you may have 10 or 20 batteries in your battery banks, there ALL the cable lengths are critical.

I always recommend that the cables that connect the 2 batteries together should be one size larger than the load cables.

Nice setup!!!

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:32 AM   #5

PLANS? WHAT PLANS! at our house one has to be flexible! As I geared up to get the Cave Away (our greyhawk) out of storage to begin the battery and control board mod, I receive a phone call from my oldest son. Our granddaughter has a fever! Pa's gotta keep her for the day. What great snuggle time we had! So when her mother picks her up after work I'm EXHASTED! So no work on the greyhawk mod.

Saturday we get the coach out of storage and get the control panel and batteries installed, which took longer than expected. Man these batteries are heavy! Below are a couple of pictures. The Trojan T-1275 was a little taller than the standard battery so I had to trim a little area of the door flange for the post to clear the compartment door seal (1st picture). This control board is mounted using (4) 1/4" self drilling screws inside the access panel behind the left rear tires (2nd picture). I've still got to install the circuit breaker on this panel then I'll be ready to hookup the battery cables.

I stopped working on the build Saturday afternoon as it was time for our standing neighborhood "KOLD BEERZ bull session". There's always next week!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2756.JPG   IMG_2757.JPG  
Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #6

Well It is Finished finally! Below are pictures of the completed mod. We're pleased with how it turned out. We connected each Trojan T-1275 to the Blue Sea battery switch using 10 ft. 4 gauge battery cables and 4 ft. 4 gauge. ground cables. We grounded each battery to the frame using self drilling screws and the star washers for extra bite. We installed a 1 ft. 4 gauge from the battery switch to the circuit breaker and an 8 ft. 4 gauge cable from the circuit breaker to a Blue Sea Buss Bar where we made the final leg connection to the original connections.

One mod I was not expecting was the T-1275 was larger than the oem battery and therefore the latch would not catch in the keeper hole on the battery box. so I purchased a piece of flat bar and secured it in front of the latch using self drilling screws. (pic below)

Upon completing installation, I turned on a couple lights and used my meter to check the battery drain. Using bat 1 & 2 my readings were 2.3 amps (bat 1)& 2.5 amps (bat 2). Running the batteries individually the readings were 5.6 amps (bat 1) & 5.8 (bat 2). (pics below) Not sure but but I think the .2 amps difference between the batteries is acceptable, do any of you expert think differently? I then used some cable ties to tidy up the install.

Finally, I plan to incorporate LED bulbs over the course of the next few months. Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2781.JPG   IMG_2783.JPG   IMG_2784.JPG   IMG_2765.JPG   IMG_2766.JPG  

IMG_2767.JPG   IMG_2768.JPG   IMG_2777.JPG  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:55 PM   #7

So one battery in the stock spot and the other one mounted to the frame?
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 AM   #8

Yes sir that's correct. The second battery is located just behind the rear spring hanger on the drivers side.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #9

Part number and source on the battery bracket? Been looking to expand the system myself as well and the battery box was the more vexing element to source.
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 05-11-2016, 04:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
Part number and source on the battery bracket?
Sorry but I designed it and had it fabricated locally. Then I mounted it to the frame. I'll be glad to take some pics and send the demensions of the homemade bracket if you want.
Kave&Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

Yes please!
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
Old 05-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #12

CarlB, sorry it took so long to respond. I was out of town last week at meeting.

I bought this battery tray on ebay.

Boat Battery Tray with Hold Down Strap for Standard 29 and 31 Series Batteries. The tray dimensions are (Overall inside dimensions) 13" L x 7-1/8" W x 1" H

The bracket I had made measures 14” x 9” x 12”. We used angle iron for the tray support & uprights and a piece of flat bar for bracket strength.

I drilled (4) 5/16 inch holes in the frame and bolted the bracket to the frame using lock nuts on the bolts.

I’ve attached some pictures that should help. If you need additional assistance feel free to pm me. Good Luck!

PS: Don't laugh at my drawing please!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2794.JPG   IMG_2797.JPG   IMG_2795.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 201605170749.pdf (62.9 KB, 10 views)