Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #1

Guam's 19RD Mods

Hi gang!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of these mods, but here is my running list. I really enjoyed modding my 1995 Coleman Cedar popup, and couldn't wait to start modding my 2016 Jay Flight 19RD. I welcome your feedback, tweaks, and suggestions!
  • Sink/Cutting Board Mod
  • Pass-thru Tool Storage Mod

Sink/Cutting Board Mod

I did a similar mod to my old popup sink when the factory sink cover started delaminating. On that camper, I bought a hardwood cutting board at the supermarket, and simply mounted the factory pegs to the bottom in roughly the same spots. Basically, I replaced one rectangle with another. For this mod, I bought a 14" x 17" Dexas SuperBoard® poly cutting board at the local HEB supermarket. I like the granite-look finish as it goes nicely with the dark finish of our counters.

I used cardboard to make a template of the factory DuoForm 60/40 sink. I then cut down the poly cutting board with a jigsaw, and used a palm sander (100 grit) to slightly bevel the edges. Then I VERY carefully ran a MAPP torch around the edges to slightly melt and smooth the plastic for an "almost factory" finish. A search of the forums revealed that Mike837go did a similar mod.

Finished Sink Cover/Cutting Board

Cutting Board Info

Pass-thru Tool Storage Mod

On the right side of the front pass-thru storage under the wardrobe, I mounted a piece of 1/8" plywood vertically. I then fastened Lehigh Grip Clips 13200 (small) and 13201 (medium) to hold my setup and towing tools. The torpedo levels are hanging on simple brass cup hooks. The WDH tool rests in re-purposed clamps from a D-Cell Maglight®.

Tool Storage Board
Old 03-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

As another owner of a 19RD, I did the sink mod last year (same technique).

I am probably going to steal the tool holder idea. Right now the "need when arriving" stuff is kept in the upside-down front stoop stowed just inside the door while traveling.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

I gave you credit in my post for the sink cover mod as well Mike. I like your front stoop...is it just PT boards and plywood?
Old 03-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #4

Charging Station Mod

This is a very simple mod. I purchased a Lorell Vertical Sorter from Walmart (also find it at Office Depot), and used 3 small black screws to fasten it to the wall next to the factory Charging Center. Now the cell phones and small tablet can hang right next to the outlets instead of being on the bed or the floor.

Queen Bunk Support/Front Storage Divider Mod

The goal of this mod is three-fold: segregate the forward storage from the under-bed storage, add support to the queen bed, and provide a little added security to the TT.

Using 2x2 pine furring strips from the local home improvement store, I fabricated four "studs" and a sole plate. I used a KREG jig to pre-drill for wood screws, then fastened the whole thing to the existing 2X4 that runs underneath the queen bed. I then added 7/32 plywood underlayment as a wall panel using 3/8 staples. The finishing touch was 2 more Leigh Grip Clips 13201 (medium) to hold my power cable adapters in place.

Studs and sole plate installed.

Plywood installed.

Finished view from the queen bed hatch.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

Folding Grab Rail
Another very easy mod. I purchased a black Stromberg Carlson Lend-A-Hand model AM-800 folding grab rail, and installed it using the included wood screws. I used the existing factory grab handle as a guide to help me locate where to drill into the TT frame. As far as height, I simply determined where the top (angled) part of the rail was comfortable to use when descending the stairs.

Grab handle installed

Front stoop/door mat
Although our trailer isn't very high, a rigid stoop would give us a solid, dry, and clean place to step in and out of the trailer. By making it wider than the stairs, it also gives us the opportunity to leave dirty shoes outside and out of water, mud, or dirt. I cut 3/8" plywood to 22" by 4', wrapped it in outdoor carpet, and then fastened a 2x2 wood frame to the bottom. While I was at it, I also added some reflective tape I had to the front of the folding steps.
Inspired by mike837go, I fabricated the stoop so it would fit in the front pass-thru storage, and double as a sliding tray when upside-down. Thanks Mike!

Front stoop

Stoop upside-down in "sliding tray" mode inside front storage

Old 03-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #6

These mods are great!! Thanks for the share!
skdcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #7

Thank you for posting your mods! They are very practical and easy to adapt for use in a variety of TT's.

<><
Rivercityjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks! You gave me an idea that I have been mulling for a while. We have 2 folding directors chairs that have a folding side table made of some cheap paper board that has deteriorated from getting wet. I think one of those cutting boards will easily be cut to fit the hole.

Weekend project!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by guamarhea View Post
I gave you credit in my post for the sink cover mod as well Mike. I like your front stoop...is it just PT boards and plywood?
I can't take credit for the sink cover. My last TT had one and I liked it.

The front stoop is not wood. It's made from some scrap Trex. 2x4 framing and 1/2 x 10 decking. Weighs way too much.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #10

Very nice.
All of these are now on my "to do" list.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #11

Thanks, I've been looking for those "Grip Clips".

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #12

Nice mods. Couldn't help but notice your signature... I grew up in a 1992 Coleman Cedar Destiny pop-up and my first trailer was a 19RD as well. Kinda funny!