Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Well as this burning issue; I mean 'thread' evolves it will prove interesting.
As long as everyone can remember to play nice I agree it will be interesting and I for one would like to see the finished product.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #22

x2
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:15 AM   #23

We love wood heat and have had a wood stove for the last 40 years. Last summer we sold out current stove and will likely go with a pellet stove. Wood is nice even heat but it is dirty. I am looking forward to some pics if someone buys the stove.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #24

It was -5 F this morning by me and I slept in my underwear. I love my wood stove !!
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
It was -5 F this morning by me and I slept in my underwear. I love my wood stove !!
Glad you don't have a pic of you in your underwear but wouldn't mind seeing one of the stove.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hozerdude View Post
well in a few weeks I will be buying my Wood Stove for my 341 RLQS 5'er It's small and puts out 14,000 BTU it's freaking awesome and a no brainer to install!
I will be using the wall mount for protection but won't install it on the wall.
I like it! I’m pretty handy around the house, but I’m trying to figure out how it is a “no brainer” to install in a camper.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:41 PM   #27

Update On Wood Stove

Well since I was not able to get my new wood stove last week I will have to wait for a few more weeks this sucks! Anyways I have decided to get a different wood stove for my 5er but gotta save up some more money. The Cost is $1025.00. The reason I putting it on a slide there is NO INSULATION ON SLIDES hahaha lame huh?

NOTE:

The stove is not installed yet but I made some pic to show you what it will look like in my 5'er and how it will be installed.

Right Side Slide:

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8cc77e1.jpg

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...psae3b707e.jpg

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3e78b012.jpg

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8d4e4e95.png

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9266608a.jpg
hozerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #28

Thanks for documenting the project. Wondering which make/model of stove you like?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Thanks for documenting the project. Wondering which make/model of stove you like?
hehehe Sorry forgot here is the info

Its a Hobbit Wood Stove

Size:

12" Wide
14" Deep
18" Tall

Weight: 100 lbs.

here is the link unboxing

and here it is in action. It only 24 seconds lol:

Old 02-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #30

Wonder if this affects your insurance any... Probably increases your fire hazard...

I bet this unit is going to get real hot around your plywood also since it will be sitting inside a cubical... Even with the table top removed...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Wonder if this affects your insurance any... Probably increases your fire hazard...

I bet this unit is going to get real hot around your plywood also since it will be sitting inside a cubical... Even with the table top removed...

Roy Ken
This small wood stove only puts out about 15,000 BTU per hour. Not all that much. It order to get combustion of wood is around 450 degrees. There is no plywood on my slides. All there is wallpaper over metal as shown in pic #3 and the top of the table will be removed. The only plywood wood there is the cabinet and that will be protected by the stainless steel shield. So no worries for me. You do not run a wood stove at full blast. You adjust you air flow to suit the temp you want and with this stove it has a 2nd combustion chamber to burn the some smoke for longer burn times and less smoke out your stove pipe. You should not get any smoke out your stove pipe. If you do you dont have the proper settings on your wood stove. I will also have a thermal electric fan I will put on the top of the stove to circulate the heat. There are alot of different types of thermal electric fans for a wood stove. Here is just one example:

Here is a link about the fan:

Old 02-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #32

We had a wood stove put in a cabin we owned once and the install guys put a product called 'wonder board' against the walls, then a nice metal frame with tiles in it spaced maybe 2 inch's away from the wonder board.

I think the board was kind of concrete looking, about 1/4 to 3/8" thick. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #33

I am sure that you have a familiarity or even experience with wood stoves so please do not be offended by my comments.

I have heated my home with an Appalachian 36BW woodstove for the last 25 years and it is designed for a 3000 sq ft home. The video you have posted shows a roaring fire in that little wood stove. That is the type of fire you can safely make in a masonry fireplace with a brick flue. Otherwise, you can easily overheat the metal flue of a wood stove with a fire like that. My experience with my wood stove is creating a much smaller fire on the inside floor to the rear. It may have a few flames but is mostly a glow. It very efficiently burns all of the wood to a fine ash at a slow rate. This allow the maximum heat transfer from the combustion box to the heated air box then the fan blows that hot air into the room. You might also look at ducting outside air to the combustion box so as to not use inside air. This will also allow better drafting of the smoke up the flue pipe. Your project is very doable it is just that the obvious additional measure of safety is needed. Also, I used triple wall stainless steel flue pipe in my home. It is well worth the money for peace of mind. You probably won't have any issues with this woodstove but your greatest care in design will be the flue going through two 90 degree transitions.

Good luck and post pics of your finished product with reviews of its operation. You definitely have my attention on this project.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdee View Post
I am sure that you have a familiarity or even experience with wood stoves so please do not be offended by my comments.

I have heated my home with an Appalachian 36BW woodstove for the last 25 years and it is designed for a 3000 sq ft home. The video you have posted shows a roaring fire in that little wood stove. That is the type of fire you can safely make in a masonry fireplace with a brick flue. Otherwise, you can easily overheat the metal flue of a wood stove with a fire like that. My experience with my wood stove is creating a much smaller fire on the inside floor to the rear. It may have a few flames but is mostly a glow. It very efficiently burns all of the wood to a fine ash at a slow rate. This allow the maximum heat transfer from the combustion box to the heated air box then the fan blows that hot air into the room. You might also look at ducting outside air to the combustion box so as to not use inside air. This will also allow better drafting of the smoke up the flue pipe. Your project is very doable it is just that the obvious additional measure of safety is needed. Also, I used triple wall stainless steel flue pipe in my home. It is well worth the money for peace of mind. You probably won't have any issues with this woodstove but your greatest care in design will be the flue going through two 90 degree transitions.

Good luck and post pics of your finished product with reviews of its operation. You definitely have my attention on this project.
No worries bud lol I had planed to use 1/4 or 3/8 fire board then rap the thin stainless sheet metal around the fire board for extra protection. I know it's kinda overkill for such a small wood stove. Now like you said I may go with triple wall stove like you said instead of double wall stove pipe.

Thanks Bud
Old 02-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #35

I agree with jeffdee. I had a flue fire, long story, and the triple wall stainless saved us. Not going to add much cost. Send completed pics.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #36

Thumbs up Hobbit Wood Stove Installation Jayco 341 RLQS

================================================== ==========
Note!!:
This post is not a DIY instruction on how install a wood stove in your rig. This is just purely for entertainment purposes only!. This is not for all RV'ers. I live In my RV.

================================================== ==========

I have just installed my wood stove area in my Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 5th Wheel.
Here is what I used....

1. Installed a 50 year old 1" thick of Italian Marble for the floor area.
2. Installed 1/2" Durarock for all three walls on the slide.
3. Covered the Durarock fireboard with Stainless Steel Sheets.
4. Used 1"X1" board for the walls for air ventilation between wall and the floor for the Durarock Fireboard.
5. I have bought double wall flue pipe. I will be going out the back of the stove then up outside of my 5th Wheel. ( Video Coming Soon! )

Some people may say this is not safe for and RV. Now the people that say that may have not done the extensive research like I have to come to the conclusion that I can may it safe for me. This is not for everyone. I have 3 fire extinguishers and 2 carbon monoxide devices. I have been told from other people that it is quite overkill the way I did this. It maybe true but I wanted piece of mind to make sure it is safe for me. Sure it cost a little more but how much money would to spend to make it safe for you?

I feel will all the research I have done it will be safe for my 5th wheel. My Hobbit Wood Stove will be here sometime next week. I should have it completed less than 2 hours after
I have received the wood stove next week.

The video will be up soon.

Hobbit Wood Stove Info:

FAQ — Hobbit North America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=NXMPfTqDuFg
Old 12-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #37

Sorry My Video Camera is not working so here are some pics.

http://s14.postimg.org/hjb5rd9wh/P1010016.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/uvp3qqeyb/P1010017.jpg

http://s2.postimg.org/y20fb1pnt/P1010018.jpg