Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 05:32 PM   #81
CAG

I forgot to drain the water heater after returning from a camping trip. I remembered it about a week later and drained the tank. This was Phoenix in June. The water that came out was black with algae.

Also, just because water looks and tastes good does not mean that it has not grown some nasty while sitting in the holding tank. It does not take high temps to do that. Ever refill your fresh water tank after having drained it the last outing and the water smells moldy? That is because it is and you need to sanitize the tanks. The small amount of water left in the tank grew bugs while you were away.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I forgot to drain the water heater after returning from a camping trip. I remembered it about a week later and drained the tank. This was Phoenix in June. The water that came out was black with algae.

Also, just because water looks and tastes good does not mean that it has not grown some nasty while sitting in the holding tank. It does not take high temps to do that. Ever refill your fresh water tank after having drained it the last outing and the water smells moldy? That is because it is and you need to sanitize the tanks. The small amount of water left in the tank grew bugs while you were away.
Sounds like you got into some well water or poorly treated water.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 11-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #83
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Sounds like you got into some well water or poorly treated water.

We don't have "well water" or poorly treated water in Phoenix, a city of 2.5 million 5.5 million for the metro area). We have some pretty hard water but it is certainly safe to drink. It was better when we drew ground water but that is long gone.

We do have high temps and algae grows in hours. Just watch your pool if you fail to maintain it.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #84

Quote:
We don't have "well water" or poorly treated water in Phoenix, a city of 2.5 million 5.5 million for the metro area). We have some pretty hard water but it is certainly safe to drink. It was better when we drew ground water but that is long gone.

We do have high temps and algae grows in hours. Just watch your pool if you fail to maintain it.
My company had 23 factories located all across the lower 48. Our Phoenix plant was one of only two that could not use city water because it was not suitable for our process. The RO system we had to install almost made the factory not cost effective. Based on what I know if I lived there I would put bottled water in my RV.

Certainly algae grown is a symptom of temperature, but it also shows improper treatment.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #85

Quote:

Just because it is city water doesn't mean it's treated properly. Ever hear of a place called Flint, Mi? We had a community here in south Texas that had a small boy die of brain eating amoeba recently. It came from the city water supply. They had to change the way they treated the water.

I've traveled a good part of the southeast US and I've never had problem with the water but I have heard of some that have.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #86
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Just because it is city water doesn't mean it's treated properly. Ever hear of a place called Flint, Mi? We had a community here in south Texas that had a small boy die of brain eating amoeba recently. It came from the city water supply. They had to change the way they treated the water.

I've traveled a good part of the southeast US and I've never had problem with the water but I have heard of some that have.
So what’s you point? Are we now evaluating various city water systems? I’ve been drinking this water for 50 years. I don’t seem to have cancer, lead poisoning or brain eating amoeba. You have traveled here. I live here and while our water is very hard, and may not pass some labs specific test for some “job” it passes other tests and we live after we drink it. It seems to make pretty good coffee.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:39 AM   #87

Quote:
So what’s you point? Are we now evaluating various city water systems? I’ve been drinking this water for 50 years. I don’t seem to have cancer, lead poisoning or brain eating amoeba. You have traveled here. I live here and while our water is very hard, and may not pass some labs specific test for some “job” it passes other tests and we live after we drink it. It seems to make pretty good coffee.
But it grows algae when it sits. That's not normal in most parts of the country. I live in the Houston area and my daughter lives in Corpus Christi. Both are subject to 100+ temps and neither of us has a problem. If you choose to ignore the issue and accept it as normal that is your choice. There may well be nothing you can do about it anyway.

Your pool is not a good indicator. It is open to the air and all sorts of things. All pools will grow algae if left unattended. Your rv should be a relatively close system. Algae has to start somewhere. It doesn't come from nothing.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 11-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #88
CAG

And you received your PHD in water chemistry from where?

Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 AM   #89

Quote:
And where did you get yours? It doesn't take a degree to look at facts and other people's experiences. If you think where you live is so great and they are infallible then enjoy it but don't say other people are wrong about their experiences.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #90

Quote:
I'm sure these guys DO have degrees.

https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/state.php?stab=AZ

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 11-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #91
Site Team

There is nothing wrong with extending the pressure relief drain. In fact it's a code requirement where I live.

But then, we are not discussing the relief valve.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 11-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #92
Site Team

Thread closed. The op's original question has been answered and we seem to be on something else.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Closed Thread