Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #1

I needed to vent

We're new to camping. This is just our second season with our 28BHBE and we love it, but it didn't take long to learn how a few minor upgrades can make a big difference in the comfort of our campin!

Our most recent upgrade was the "Fan-tastic Vent". I'm truly impressed by the immense power this thing creates. When you close the bathroom door you can feel the air being pulled in from under the door - even on level 1 setting. On a scortching day it pulls the stagnant hot air out of the trailer in a matter of a couple minutes. As far as comfort, one of our best upgrades yet.

Install: Installing the new vent was very easy. Removing the factory vent is something I want prepared for. The short of it, remove as much of the factory sealer as you possible can from the vent. There are a dozen or so screws. Pop those out and the vent comes with it. I used silicone to seal it and covered with RV roof patch to assure protect from leaking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
JaycoJoe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #2

Great mod that I'm looking to do soon.

However, if you did actually use silicone, that was not a good decision. It won't stick to the roof membrane, and if any of it is exposed, it will deteriorate rapidly. The recommended sealant is usually Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. There are other brands IIRC, but Dicor is the most widely available.

Good call on roof patch to cover the sealant. I plan to use the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant first, then once it cures, I will put Eternabond over that to create a maintenance free, permanent seal.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Great mod that I'm looking to do soon.

However, if you did actually use silicone, that was not a good decision. It won't stick to the roof membrane, and if any of it is exposed, it will deteriorate rapidly. The recommended sealant is usually Dicor self-leveling lap sealant. There are other brands IIRC, but Dicor is the most widely available.

Good call on roof patch to cover the sealant. I plan to use the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant first, then once it cures, I will put Eternabond over that to create a maintenance free, permanent seal.
Thanks for the note on the silicone. Being that it's under the roof patch sealer do you think I'm good or should I tear it apart and reseal with something else?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #4

We just did ours this last week. One of the few things I don't like about my trailer is the frameless windows and how little air flow they allow. My old trailer had louvered windows so almost the entire window surface area was available for air flow.
When you did your install did you find that the inner shroud was a little too short?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
We just did ours this last week. One of the few things I don't like about my trailer is the frameless windows and how little air flow they allow. My old trailer had louvered windows so almost the entire window surface area was available for air flow.
When you did your install did you find that the inner shroud was a little too short?
Good point on the Windows. I can understand where that would cause an airflow problem for you. There is literally one small window on the front side of our trailer, just above the sink and one in the bedroom. We have to open the door to get any sort of cross breeze. The fan helped get some circulation.

No problems with the shroud. Everything lined up and fit perfectly for me.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #6

Great modification. Thank you for sharing. We will look into this upgrade being as we live in Las Vegas and many of the places we go to in the summer are quite warm/hot.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

I did the same with a Maxxair fan. You're right, it was the best modification I've done to date. Here's a link to the Dicor

https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-502-LSW...keywords=dicor

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #8

The fan upgrade is next on my list. Not sure if I am going with the Fantastic or Maxxair though...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #9

Is there any significant difference between the two makers fans?
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoJoe77 View Post
Thanks for the note on the silicone. Being that it's under the roof patch sealer do you think I'm good or should I tear it apart and reseal with something else?

I honestly don't know. If the tape overlaps the sealant enough, it might be okay...

The anal part of me says I would tear it apart and redo it, but then, the pragmatic part of me says that would be a lot of trouble, and COULD cause more harm than good. The "scaredy cat" part of me would probably tear it apart just for the fear of water intrusion. Water intrusion literally keeps me up at night. That tape will be all but impossible to get off the roof (it will probably peel the silicone off the roof easily on those parts), but I suppose you could cut it where the vent flange is, and just leave the old tape there. Reseal it with the Dicor stuff and then put another layer of tape on top of all of it.

My dad has a Class C that had a leak. He "sealed" it with silicone (no tape, just the silicone), I told him a few days later when he was showing me his work that he should strip all that off and use the correct sealant. He shook it off and said "nah, it'll be fine", I told him "no it won't, I promise you". Not kidding, the VERY next time it rained, it leaked, and the silicone almost immediately began to peel off. A few days later, he peeled all the silicone off (what a mess) and put Eternabond over the entire roof edge (per my original suggestion). He had also siliconed his clearance lights, which failed and caused him some nightmares on the front cap. He wants to sell it because it doesn't have enough room, but as a buyer, I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10 ft pole. He's going to work on fixing it as long as he still owns it, and he'll most likely do a good job with it... now that he knows that it makes a difference which products you use.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:35 PM   #11

Approx how much time did ya need start to finish on the remove/install? Reason I'm asking is that I'm about to be doing the same thing to mine.

mds47588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #12

I'd say it was less than an hour. Having the proper tools and materials it would take less time. Bulk of the time was spent removing the rubber sealant from around the existing fan. After that install was quick and easy. I let the initial seal tray overnight and finished up with the roof patch material the next day.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

Power

How did you get power to the vent
John Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ko View Post
How did you get power to the vent
Power was already present from my existing fan when I did mine.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote