Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-24-2016, 01:20 PM   #1

Idea for Shower Lighting

I had a thought the other day while "camping" at home (we were remodeling our master bedroom). The shower is nice and bright during the day, but at night it can be a bit dark with the shower curtain closed.

Since 12VDC strip lights are so cheap now I was thinking about running a wire from the light fixture through the ceiling void and into the area between the inner and outer skylight domes. I could then run a white LED strip light around the perimeter frame and at night it would shine through the inner dome and light up the shower. Could use an RGB (color) strip but that would be kind of pointless.

Anyone see any problems with doing this? Not worried about moisture + electricity since it would be sealed above the dome and it's only 12V. If I decide to do it I'll post a follow-up here to let you know how it works. If anyone else tries it or already has done it please let me know.

The attached picture is with the inner dome removed. Took it while I was installing my new darkly tinted Lexan skylight earlier this year (you can still see the cling wrap on the outer surface). As you can see it still lets in plenty of light during the day, but the bathroom doesn't get as hot as it used to.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160530_171201.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #2

You could use the multi color blinking ones and have a disco party in the bathroom! Should be fine, moisture I don't think would be a factor.

Read About My Camping World Nightmare
Loosenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #3

Good idea. How much light will it send out of the camper though? Make sure you look for the ones that sends the light perpendicular to the mounting surface, that would direct the light more where you would want it (straight down)
Old 10-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Save all the work. Park at WalMart for a boondock night. It'll be lit like daytime in there.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Save all the work. Park at WalMart for a boondock night. It'll be lit like daytime in there.
Okay, that one made me laugh! Sure glad we are installing those blackout curtains.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #6

Our Jayco motorhome has a factory mounted standard 12 volt light fixture in the skylight void. There's a switch for it on the wall by the sink with the other vanity switches.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Our Jayco motorhome has a factory mounted standard 12 volt light fixture in the skylight void. There's a switch for it on the wall by the sink with the other vanity switches.
I was curious if any of the manufactures had thought to do this since I know you can get lights to install in those "Solar Tube" skylights for your house.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Lost in the Woods

We shower under candlelight. We put a Yankee candle on the vanity. It has a nice glow through the glass doors. You see just enough of your partner. Sometimes less is more if you know what I mean. Just a heads up you might find yourself running out of water sooner than the candle burns out.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1372 View Post
we shower under candlelight. We put a yankee candle on the vanity. It has a nice glow through the glass doors. You see just enough of your partner. Sometimes less is more if you know what i mean. Just a heads up you might find yourself running out of water sooner than the candle burns out.
tmi
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
tmi
Lmao. I get that lot Norty. Sorry
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote