Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Install Autoformer and EMS

I am looking to re configure the power flow from the pedestal to the RV.
The plan is to add a EMS-HW30C and a Hughes Autoformer (AF) to my '17 Greyhawk 29MV.

Would it be good practice to add cut off a switch between the AF and the EMS. To protect the EMS prior to the AF giving the all clear.

Has anyone done this? Pictures would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #2

I’ve done that. It’ll work just fine. The EMS on the pole will take 2 mins and change to send power through. Once it hits the Autoformer, it’ll hit your coach. it will work out just fine.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:10 AM   #3

Hadn't read of a set up with both, what advantages are there?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabirch View Post
Hadn't read of a set up with both, what advantages are there?
My understanding for using both is that the autoformer will boost an under voltage scenario before the EMS. The EMS will protect/shut down on under voltage.
So if the EMS is before the AF, an under voltage situation will not get to the AF.

If an electrician or EE is on the board, please chime in with any corrections.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #5

Actually if you're going to do this and you're super concerned about your power you're still shorting yourself.

Surge --> Autoformer --> EMS is the way to go. Point being a surge can take out the cheap surge protector w/o blowing up the expensive AutoFormer. The Autoformer can boost any low voltage before going to the EMS. The EMS protects your coach from everything else that the surge and autoformer can't handle.

Its a lot of money right? I already had the Autoformer and EMS when I contemplated this, so the comparibly cheap surge was a 'big whoop' type thing to me.

That being said, if I give it another go around I'm just going to plug the EMS in at the post and call it a day.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #6

My Autoformer is before my hardwired EMS for the reason you specify - to try to maintain voltage prior to EMS cutoff.

I mounted my Autoformer in the same compartment my cord reel is located using a set of outlets so as not to alter the autoformer in any way. You void the warranty if you cut the cord. It can be removed in a minute if need be for service. I did buy the newer model from Hughes that also incorporates surge protection, so now I have "layers" of protection!

Sorry no pictures, it is "hibernating" in storage until better Ohio weather!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Actually if you're going to do this and you're super concerned about your power you're still shorting yourself.

Surge --> Autoformer --> EMS is the way to go. Point being a surge can take out the cheap surge protector w/o blowing up the expensive AutoFormer. The Autoformer can boost any low voltage before going to the EMS. The EMS protects your coach from everything else that the surge and autoformer can't handle.

Its a lot of money right? I already had the Autoformer and EMS when I contemplated this, so the comparibly cheap surge was a 'big whoop' type thing to me.

That being said, if I give it another go around I'm just going to plug the EMS in at the post and call it a day.
I used to think that the EMS was all that I needed and in most cases, I agree with you that the EMS is all that is needed.

With that being said, at our seasonal site in Florida where we stay for months at a time, the second leg of the 50 amp service has and does regularly fall below 104v during peak usage times, thus triggering the EMS to cut all power for a few minutes until it resets, sometimes once or twice a day, sometimes it resets itself 3 or 4 times in a row.

So although it was painful to the pocketbook and the DW gave me the "stink eye" when I told her what it would cost and was also taking my physical well being into my own hands by pursuing this further, I was desperate for a peaceful winter in Florida. So I ordered the auto former and just for good measure, added a PI 50 amp surge protector for added protection to the auto former and connected them as you stated, SP>AF>EMS.

This year, the month of February has seen record setting heat down here and although I have seen the auto former boost light for leg 2 on so many times I lost count, the EMS has not tripped once! I can only imagine how many times the boost light has come on when I wasn't looking at it.

The end result is that the EMS hasn't tripped once, the DW's "shows" have all recorded without issue, and more importantly, I am still physically able to report my findings after doling out that kind of money!!! I don't want to think of what this winter would have been without it!!

Oh happy day!
Old 02-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
My Autoformer is before my hardwired EMS for the reason you specify - to try to maintain voltage prior to EMS cutoff.
I mounted my Autoformer in the compartment where my cord is stashed. I cut the cord off of the RV and put in a plug and socket so I could remove the autoformer if necessary.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #9

I have a Progressive Industries SSP-50XL at the pedestal and Autoformer and EMS-HW50C in the trailer.
like Robbyr said "Layers" of protection.

Get you a SSP30XL to go with it all.

Another plus is I try and plug in the surge protector first before setting up to make sure the power is good.
I did have to move one time. After I set
up
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #10

Incredible info here, many thanks for the input.