Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

Install TPMS Booster in RV or Towed Car ?

Just got the booster because the signal to the TPMS monitor from the car's tires drops out sometimes.
I have a set of EEZ monitors on the car's valve stems.

I understand I could, maybe should ? install the booster in the back of the RV, somewhere.
Plenty of room, but finding a place to connect the wiring is more complicated.

Under the hood of the car offers lots of mounting options as well as easy access to power.

A switch to kill power to the unit would need to be included in either case.

Thoughts ?
Thanks
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #2

I would think installing it around the halfway point in your RV would work fine.

I installed mine on my fifth wheel in front compartment and never had a problem with the signal.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 12:32 PM   #3

I think under the hood might not work to well because the antenna would be surrounded by metal. Probably towards the rear of the RV where it would be easy to access 12 volts for power. When I installed mine I connected the 12 volts to a switch so I could turn it off when not in use.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #4

The RV is a Jayco 31UL.

There is a reading light above the bed in the rear bedroom slide I've been eyeballing to tap for the booster's power.
The rear side wall in the cabinet above it could be the mounting point ?

Would there be too much interference from the slide/cabinet wall and back wall of the RV for the booster to work ?
bykerhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #5

You could just tap into 12 volts with some long wires and temporarily position the booster in various locations to see how it performs. If the back is fiberglass it probably won't be an issue. Are there any storage compartments at the rear, or close to it. That might be an option.

You might also consider mounting it with Velcro to the top of the dash on your towed vehicle and only mount it there when towing. Then you would have to find a 12 volt source that is "Hot" all of the time

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:50 PM   #6

I have a fifth wheel and p/u truck. I have TST 507 ttpms and I really don't need the signal booster. But: the instructions usually suggest putting the repeater near the tires you are monitoring. It makes sense that the repeater has more signal power because it is powered by 12V rather than small batteries.
I would be thinking the same as you, I would want my repeater in the back of the MH where it can be powered by the chassis batteries. I think at that location you will get the signal boost you need. The perfect set-up would be finding a source that is on with the ignition switch.
My instructions for the repeater that came with mine only caution about mirrors being a problem for signal transmission. I think most body sheetmetal isn't a big problem.
I agree with the suggestion you wire it temporarily to see if your preferred spot will work - then mount and wire it permanently
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #7

I installed my TireMinder repeater on the hitch receiver. Power from the generator 12VDC lug and installed a switch in the generator compartment
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #8

I installed my repeater in the last storage compartment and used the 12v from the compartment light wiring and it was right there in a loom. I added a switch that I could turn it off when not towing.

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
I installed mine on my fifth wheel in front compartment and never had a problem with the signal.
x2
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Site Team

I installed mine right in the battery compartment. Just added a wing nut to the positive and neg battery terminal. It worked ok without it but it came with the TST507 and was no trouble to add. I just disconnect one side when it's not in use. I plan to add a small on/off switch next time I get access to one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I installed mine right in the battery compartment. Just added a wing nut to the positive and neg battery terminal. It worked ok without it but it came with the TST507 and was no trouble to add. I just disconnect one side when it's not in use. I plan to add a small on/off switch next time I get access to one.
Norty, I have the same ttpms, and I have had no issue without the repeater. I would think the boost is more important as the batteries get weaker on the sensors. I have the cap sensors, and although the batteries are easy to replace, they are tiny and must get weak before long. I think it's worth using the repeater if it came with the kit. It can only help!
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote