Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Installed a Cable TV Hook-up in the 154BH

All parts are available at Lowes....

Click image for larger version

Name:	CABLE INSTALLATION.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	8327

To protect the exterior connection, I made cap by using a cable connector, caulk (to seal the end) and shrink wrap tubing....

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-06-02_17-09-07_795.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	8328
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Nice job!
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Every time I have needed to add an external antenna connector box i always have used this style box that has the weather protection flip lids.

Being a Ham Radio type I am always adding outside antenna connections etc. I like to install two connectors so I will have an extra already installed for the next project i come up with... These type of boxes allows me to change the Cable F-type connector to any number of different type RF connectors I might be needing to use.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #4

Roy - you're on a whole 'nuther level!!!....I enjoy your contributions! Your excellence inspires me to mediocrity.....[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Old 06-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

Threebutchers - One of the reason I like these boxes is only one small 3/8-1/2 hole in the outside wall is all you need to drill to the inside. The box with a bunch of dicor behind it and four short self tapping screws is all you need for mounting. Actually this is the same as the OEM folks use. I will find an ideal spot inside the trailer in a floor mounted cabinet and use this for all of the RG cables routing to the various equipments connecting to the outside wall.

Nothing wrong with your project at all - just passing on what I usually do.

It is also amazing that some of the smaller trailer are not even wired for CABLE TV connections. You still hear RV'ers asking where do I hook up to get cable... In disbelief I start looking at trailer photos on-line and sure enough no outside TV connection found anywhere. I have found a couple with the RG cables in-place but you have to install the outside box. Kinda weird since most everyone wants to hook up to CABLE TV at the camp sites. This was my first project with my OFF-ROAD POPUP. It had nothing inside or outside installed.

Gotta keep momabear happy...

In my working years we got to follow the Naval Electronics Shore facilities out of Charleston SC all over the US. Their installation techniques kinda spills over here in my Electronic projects way of thinking.

Is it the best way to do things - probably not... Just the way I will attack my projects... Another first project on my OFF-ROAD POPUP is I was getting back into the woods camping along a creek and drug off some cable under my trailer. Looking at how the OEM folks would drill a two inch hole in the floor and then route 12VDC cable pairs thru the hole and going every which way under the trailer. Was a "RATS NEST" of wing.. I ripped all of that out when I installed a new converter/charger unit and installed flexible PVC conduct all secured under the flooring mostly protected by the deep framework. Then where ever I needed to go through the floor into the bottom of some cabinet I mounted a PVC electrical weather tight box upside down to the bottom of the floor and drilled my two-inch hole thru the middle of the box which gave me a completely sealed holes going into the trailer. Then I connected all these junctions together using 3/4-inch PVC flex conduit and followed a nice clean path all around the bottom of the trailer all connected together. Now I can fish all the cables I seem to keep adding for my radio projects all over my OFF-ROAD POPUP and all cables are protected from the weather and from under brush when i get the urge to go back off the beaten path with my trailer. I also eliminated access from the bottom to the top for all of the insect critters. Each PVC electrical box has a weather tight lid I can remove to help in routing the cables from box to box. The PVC electric boxes come with many different 3/4-inch ports. The whole thing under my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer looks like this shown in blue... Not a lot of money spent here just alot of time laying under the trailer. Everything all available from LOWES. Sure has made life easy for me and my projects.

I did the same sort of thing topside routing all of my installed 12VDC wiring pairs . Tried to hide all of the cables and use 12VDC sub panels to be able to fuse all of my topside cabling. BLUE SEA/JAMESTOWN and AMAZON loves me.... TOPSIDE looks something like this showing where all of my additions are located.. I probably have too much time on my hands...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing Roy - and you're right!....the more comfortable momma is - the better the camping goes! Most of the projects I tackled this year were for her (not that I didn't agree - lol)....dinette conversion, cable hook-up, bath & storage spruce-up, improved city water filtration....

I like your conduit plan (excellent documentation - BTW). After crawling under my TT this weekend - I too, noticed plenty of loosely draped wires (mainly from the tank sensors) just waiting to catch on a campground stick or any thing your tires may toss up from the road. That's a "clean-up" project for another day.

I also like your Face Mount Covered Cable / Antenna Outlet. It will work well in my application (154BH) as the sink cabinets are on the opposite wall (drivers side / hook-up side) as the Entertainment Cabinet. I could have popped back up through the floor and then out the side of the TT (into the face mount covered antenna outlet). Great option for anyone else attempting the project! Thanks for the thoughts!!!