Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 PM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Consider tracing the 120 volt side of things. There are tools available that you connect to a power line, say at the outlet, and then trace the line back to the circuit breaker panel with the other part of the tool. Maybe you could trace the wiring and see where it connects to the inverter.
I was also wondering if he had one of those inverter relays feeding the outlet, but doesn't seem to get power there when plugged into shore power.

Wonder if the issue with the outlet is just a loose wire? Maybe he should pull the outlet out and check.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
I was also wondering if he had one of those inverter relays feeding the outlet, but doesn't seem to get power there when plugged into shore power.

Wonder if the issue with the outlet is just a loose wire? Maybe he should pull the outlet out and check.

I have power at the outlets when on shore and generator power. I lost power to the outlets while driving, which implies an inverter is installed somewhere and is no longer working.
Otherwise, no issues...
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPR View Post
Was the previous owners name on the title when you purchased it?

Unfortunately no...we bought it from a dealer and never saw a previous title
Old 07-02-2020, 06:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Consider tracing the 120 volt side of things. There are tools available that you connect to a power line, say at the outlet, and then trace the line back to the circuit breaker panel with the other part of the tool. Maybe you could trace the wiring and see where it connects to the inverter.

I used one of these tools a long time ago to trace a line. I do not know how well it may work in this case so I will leave it to qualified electricians to comment on whether it would work or not. The idea just sort of popped in my head.

Good thought...thanks
Old 07-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnbgould View Post
Unfortunately no...we bought it from a dealer and never saw a previous title
Ask the dealer to call the previous owner for you.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #26
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
I have power at the outlets when on shore and generator power. I lost power to the outlets while driving, which implies an inverter is installed somewhere and is no longer working.
Otherwise, no issues...
You say outlet(s) (meaning more than one). Traditionally only one or two would be hooked up to an inverter, not multiple ones. Was it more than the one by the dinette? Is it possible you thought others were tied in, but really only worked off the shore power?

If the outlet near the dinette use to work both ways (shore and inverter), but not only works on shore, then there would probably be an inverter relay somewhere that's not working.

Something doesn't add up, and finding an inverter in your rig shouldn't be that difficult, if it exists.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #27

Quote:
You say outlet(s) (meaning more than one). Traditionally only one or two would be hooked up to an inverter, not multiple ones. Was it more than the one by the dinette? Is it possible you thought others were tied in, but really only worked off the shore power?

If the outlet near the dinette use to work both ways (shore and inverter), but not only works on shore, then there would probably be an inverter relay somewhere that's not working.

Something doesn't add up, and finding an inverter in your rig shouldn't be that difficult, if it exists.

R-One...your point is well taken. Yes it is possible...in fact, probable, I was incorrect.

My verbiage was based on assumptions which I’ve never proven true. The only outlet I knew worked while driving was under the dinette.

Appreciate the redirect...the hunt continues.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #28
Lost in the Woods

Have you checked under/inside the dinette seats to see if it's in that space, near the outlet?
Old 07-04-2020, 10:42 AM   #29

You should be able to follow thick wires from the batteries.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Have you checked under/inside the dinette seats to see if it's in that space, near the outlet?

Inside the dinette seat, yes...under-that happens tomorrow
Old 07-04-2020, 01:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
You should be able to follow thick wires from the batteries.

That starts tomorrow
Old 07-05-2020, 10:28 AM   #32

Thanks to all who provided suggestions, ideas, thoughts, and guidance.

With the help of someone more electrically inclined than I, we spent hours tracing wires from the battery and the command center, took apart cabinets, and looked in every nook and cranny we could find in and outside the rig...no sign of an inverter was found.

Although I often question my sanity, I know without a doubt I HAD power at one receptacle while driving and now I do not. How I had it, where it came from, and what provided the power is still a mystery.

I’m moving on to installing an inverter between the coach battery and the same outlet so eventually I’ll have again what I once had.

Thanks again...happy camping.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
when you find the inverter it my have a GFI reset on it.
Inverters have a 'floating' ground so no GFCI.
All he needs is to follow the 00 or 1/0 battery cables from the house batteries to the inverter, it will be close, normally in the next compartment as @RustyNuts mentioned. If there is a remote plugged in to it you can unplug it and use the manual 'on' switch to test, or just over ride the remote with the switch. Has the OP done any battery work lately? might have blown the reverse polarity fuses, seen that a few times.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 01:34 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
Not always the case....

MAGNUM ENERGY CSW1012, 1000 WATT PURE SINE 12V INVERTER WITH GFCI, ELT LISTED TO UL458

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...oaAu5zEALw_wcB
Old 07-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #35

Quote:

With the help of someone more electrically inclined than I, we spent hours tracing wires from the battery and the command center, took apart cabinets, and looked in every nook and cranny we could find in and outside the rig...no sign of an inverter was found.

Although I often question my sanity, I know without a doubt I HAD power at one receptacle while driving and now I do not. How I had it, where it came from, and what provided the power is still a mystery.

I’m moving on to installing an inverter between the coach battery and the same outlet so eventually I’ll have again what I once had.

Did you check to see if your converter was replaced with an inverter/charger? It's possible you've already found it but assumed it was just a converter?
Old 07-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Not always the case....

MAGNUM ENERGY CSW1012, 1000 WATT PURE SINE 12V INVERTER WITH GFCI, ELT LISTED TO UL458

https://www.invertersupply.com/index...oaAu5zEALw_wcB
No, nothing is 100%, but very few inverters have GFCI outlets, if you bond the case ground to the chassis then your existing GFCI's will work in most cases. All of my GFCI outlets work with a tester on inverter, so why do I need one on the inverter? In any case my inverter (and most RV setup's) don't use the sockets on the inverter, they are hard wired.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
All he needs is to follow the 00 or 1/0 battery cables from the house batteries to the inverter, it will be close, normally in the next compartment as @RustyNuts mentioned. If there is a remote plugged in to it you can unplug it and use the manual 'on' switch to test, or just over ride the remote with the switch. Has the OP done any battery work lately? might have blown the reverse polarity fuses, seen that a few times.
Inverters do not care about floating grounds. There is no such thing as floating grounds. It is neutrals that are floating. They are not bonded to the grounds in your RV or at the PED. They are only bonded at the SERVICE ENTRANCE DISCONNECT. INverters do in fact have gfi'S. GFI's work with no grounds. Aground should NEVER be floating.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter with gfi.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	60913

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #38

If it is a Mercedes platform, look under the passenger seat, there is plenty of space and it is close to the batteries.
Polariste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #39

Quote:

Where is this outlet located? Have you removed it to check voltage and connections behind it? RV punch done outlets are know to die a sudden death. How many wires come and go at ths outlet.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
Inverters do not care about floating grounds. There is no such thing as floating grounds. It is neutrals that are floating. They are not bonded to the grounds in your RV or at the PED. They are only bonded at the SERVICE ENTRANCE DISCONNECT. INverters do in fact have gfi'S. GFI's work with no grounds. Aground should NEVER be floating.

Attachment 60913
A little late, that is a smaller inverter without a hard wire to the service panel, never seen one used in a serious RV install but there are exceptions to everything. A floating neutral would be very dangerous, and there is such a thing as a floating ground. (Floating ground - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Floating_ground

Most electrical circuits have a ground which is electrically connected to the Earth, hence the name "ground". The ground is said to be floating when this connection does not exist.
You cannot connect a ground to 'earth' when boondocking on rubber tires, unless you want to drive in a ground rod and connect it to your chassis. When connected to the PED you're grounded.