Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-29-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Is it possible to run wires through ceiling?

Hey all, we ordered our Jay Flight 24RBS on May 9th and it showed up on October 17th and although we signed paperwork on it yesterday, it is still sitting at the dealership and will be till spring because they said they would start my warranty when I picked it up and since I couldn't use it at this point in the year, I figured why not. However, it's already driving me crazy because I have ideas and things I want to do but the TT is not here for me to investigate (a.k.a. take things apart).

In my previous Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH, I was able to run wires through the channels that were cut into the foam of the ceiling. I ran wires from the radio to were the tv was mounted which were on opposite sides of the TT. This was so I could tie the output of the tv into the aux in on the radio. I also ran wires from the radio location to the overhead storage area over the main bed. This was so I could mount a second set of speakers directly over our heads which allowed us to listen to the tv at bedtime and keep the volume at a very low level. I also ran wires for a second power switch for the radio which allowed us to turn the radio off while laying in bed and turn it back on from there or at the radio location just like two way light switch in your house.

What I would like to do in the new TT is possibly add a second set of speakers to the ceiling in the main living area. More importantly, I would like to mount a small tv in the bedroom and be able to run wires through the ceiling into the over the bed storage area so I can place some speakers aiming directly down like my previous set up.

I did notice that in the new TT the ceiling panels seems to be of a slightly floating nature, sort of like drop ceiling. I never noticed that in Jayco's that I had previously been in.

I'm just curious if anyone has done anything like this or has any information as to how the ceiling/trusses and everything involved come together. I've watched the Jayco build video on YouTube and I really don't remember seeing anything that would help me and honestly, I'm not sure I want to watch that atrocity again.

Sorry for the novel, any info would be appreciatied.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 03:17 PM   #2

I can't answer your question, however your post created a question for me.

How can the dealer delay warranty? Once that unit is titled, it's sold and understsnd the two years starts.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I can't answer your question, however your post created a question for me.

How can the dealer delay warranty? Once that unit is titled, it's sold and understsnd the two years starts.
The way he stated it is he doesn't submit the title paperwork to Jayco until it's picked up. Says he does it all the time. His dealership has been in business for many years. I guess I'll see what happens down the road if I have any issues.
Old 10-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
The way he stated it is he doesn't submit the title paperwork to Jayco until it's picked up. Says he does it all the time. His dealership has been in business for many years. I guess I'll see what happens down the road if I have any issues.
The dealer owns the unit since JAYCO doesn't do consignment sales. Everything that leaves the factory is paid for. If the dealer doesn't submit the warranty to JAYCO until the unit is picked up that is when the 2 yr window would start. No different than a unit sitting on the dealer's lot for 12 months before being sold.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #5

I'd call JAYCO directly, present exactly what the dealer said (without necessarily providing dealer's name) and ask if what you were told was correct. If nothing else, you'd be informed and have some recourse for discussion when you return to the dealer.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #6

I think Grumpy and the dealer are correct. If we're me I would leave it alone. Just my feelin.
ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #7

LOL - have we forgotten his question? Cause I would be interested if anyone has some experience in pushing wires through the roof as well. Is it full of insulation? Is it foam or batts?

I plan to add a vent where there isn't one and I don't think there is unstitched 12v any where near. I will have to go through the roof for a couple of feet to get to a cabinet.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

I ran some extension wiring (12v Power) across the ceiling from the bathroom into the main area. The goal was to add an overhead exhaust fan instead of just a vent.

I dropped some the lights and speakers temporarily and then ran a fiberglass rod from point A -> C. There was a healthy gap of space up there, which I believe there should be (Kinda a plenum using the air for insulation). The whole job took about an hour.

Man I love this thing!
Klein Tools 6 ft. Glow Rod-56109 - The Home Depot

Warranty... Seems like sure no one cares if you make small adjustments to that kind of thing. They may just exclude the item you installed from warranty.
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
Hey all, we ordered our Jay Flight 24RBS on May 9th and it showed up on October 17th and although we signed paperwork on it yesterday, it is still sitting at the dealership and will be till spring because they said they would start my warranty when I picked it up and since I couldn't use it at this point in the year, I figured why not. However, it's already driving me crazy because I have ideas and things I want to do but the TT is not here for me to investigate (a.k.a. take things apart).
I fail to understand why you cannot get into your vehicle if you signed the papers. You are making payments/paid outright for it?
A2Z_Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

A2Z - now that's a cool tool. Never saw one of those. I have a metal fish tape that is a pain to work with - but it is good for longer runs through conduit.

I gotta see if my local Home Depot has one of those!

Thanks also for giving me some assurance that I can indeed fish a wire across the roof.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:03 PM   #11

I ran wire from our ceiling AC unit to the top of a wall and down to where I placed the thermostat when we converted our AC from manual to thermostat controlled -- this on a Jayco X213 -- we removed the inside of the shower skylight to access the ceiling space -- it does have insulation batting in it but it was pretty easy to pass the wire through it. I do recommend the fiberglass rods over metal fish tape, they are just easier to maneuver and less chance of hanging up on something.

Jayco Pinnacle 36FBTS Fifth Wheel
Ford F-450 Diesel Pickup
mitchmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
A2Z - now that's a cool tool. Never saw one of those. I have a metal fish tape that is a pain to work with - but it is good for longer runs through conduit.

I gotta see if my local Home Depot has one of those!

Thanks also for giving me some assurance that I can indeed fish a wire across the roof.
Sometimes I use one of my fish tapes (the older one is a pain to wind back up so I never use it anymore but the newer one has a handle on the rim for easy rewinding) and, at other times, I use the fish rods. Occasionally, I'll use both. It all depends on where I have to fish through and how much room I have to work in.

Taping over the hook end of either will keep the tape or rod from getting hung up.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #13

I'm not going to get into a lot of quotes here but Grumpy is right, that is more along the way my dealer worded it. I really don't think it is that uncommon of an occurrence.

A2Z I do have access to the trailer, however since we have not gone through the PDI and the warranty hasn't begun yet, I'm not sure they would let me dive into modding it. I haven't asked, but I'm sure they would be ok with it as long as the warranty starts. Secondly I don't want to drive across town, set up a "work station" in the back lot, realize I needed this or that or forgot this or that. I would rather be doing this at home where I have access to my arsenal of tools. I'm sure you understand.

I do have a set of fiberglass fish sticks somewhere as well as a metal roll up fish tape. I also often use a 48" zip tie with the ratchet end cut off to fish wires through. That actually served me better in my old TT as the fish sticks wanted to poke into the Styrofoam ceiling instead of making the turns that were routed into it.

Thanks to everyone that replied. I'm sure I'll get it done but it's always nice to hear from others who have tried and conquered or failed to help avoid as many complications St possible.

Modding my old used pup and TT were one thing, cutting into my new TT will be different although I have been cutting into people's new and old cars for 20+ years so it shouldn't matter, but I'm sure it will lol.
(ordered 5/9/16, arrived 10/17/16, brought home 4/14/17)
2005 Trail Cruiser TL-26QBH (sold)
1984 Coachmen PUP (sold)
Old 10-30-2016, 07:08 AM   #14

Being a Ham radio guy with roof mounted 2M/440 antennas I certainly have run many RG cables and a couple of video cables from the front of my 5th wheel to the back using the foam cut-in air conditioner ceiling foam ducts path. Both ends of my 5th Wheel have ceiling mounted cabinets and the center run is right next the bath room wall patricians.. All made great access point to hide my cables...

It was easy for me to just drop the A/C vents installed in the ceiling about every 6-feet to fish my cable through the foam ducts... I may have used a wire fish tape a couple of times as well

I also made sure to refill and holes I made to the foam ducts with expanding foam so I would not disrupt the designed built-in air pressure to make the air conditioner provide equal air pressure out of all of the installed vents.

Worked great for me...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote