Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #341

Hi everyone! First, thank you SO much for this thread. We're trying to decide which camper to get and this has been immensely helpful as we evaluate the 174BH alongside others like the r-pod and Hummingbird. We love the permanent queen bed with the bunks of the 174BH and the Baja just seems really nice with great clearance, and now we're just trying to figure out the towing situation.

It seems like most of y'all are towing with a truck. We have a Kia Telluride with the tow package rated for 5000 lbs towing capacity and 500 lbs hitch weight. Since we're first timers (me, my partner, and our toddler), we definitely don't want to push the towing capacity of the Telluride, and just trying to figure out if this is safely under that or if there's anything to be concerned about, especially in Colorado with elevation and pretty significant grades where we'll likely be camping.

Anyone towing with a mid-size SUV, and anything we should take into consideration as we consider this one vs. a smaller/lighter r-pod or Hummingbird?
billyingolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:30 PM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyingolden View Post
Hi everyone! First, thank you SO much for this thread. We're trying to decide which camper to get and this has been immensely helpful as we evaluate the 174BH alongside others like the r-pod and Hummingbird. We love the permanent queen bed with the bunks of the 174BH and the Baja just seems really nice with great clearance, and now we're just trying to figure out the towing situation.

It seems like most of y'all are towing with a truck. We have a Kia Telluride with the tow package rated for 5000 lbs towing capacity and 500 lbs hitch weight. Since we're first timers (me, my partner, and our toddler), we definitely don't want to push the towing capacity of the Telluride, and just trying to figure out if this is safely under that or if there's anything to be concerned about, especially in Colorado with elevation and pretty significant grades where we'll likely be camping.

Anyone towing with a mid-size SUV, and anything we should take into consideration as we consider this one vs. a smaller/lighter r-pod or Hummingbird?
I would think that you would be okay but you may need to install a larger transmission cooler.

I don't have my Tacoma anymore. I was looking for something with a little more room inside because my family has gotten larger. I was considering a Honda Ridgeline, also a 5000 pound tow rating. I spent some time on the Ridgeline forums and discovered that the Ridgelines towing the same weight and size TTs were having some transmission overheat issues if they drove like I do. (I dont slow down.) But the guys that had larger coolers installed, were fine. In the end, I decided to go with a full-size Nissan Titan and not the Honda just in case we go bigger in the near future.

I would say that you should go spend some time on the Kia forums and see what people are towing and how they do. You may be just fine.

I don't know the Kias very well at all but if I can help answer questions about the 174, feel free to ask.
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #343

Quote:
Hey there, welcome! We had a Toyota Highlander hybrid SUV, pulling a very light Coleman popup (1300 pounds). The Highlander too was rated for 5k. We camped up in Difficult Campground outside Aspen a few years back.

Oh, it was difficult all right! I burned up my rotors and pads coming down the hill afterward. That car had only one speed for low gear. The camper had no trailer brakes, the car had no tow package. It was a total newb moment, lucky we were all safe.

So now we upgraded to a Jayco SLX trailer and a Sequoia with full tow package. It's just a much heavier, tighter towing feeling. You can't even feel the load on the transmission.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #344

Thanks so much to both of you. The other thing we're considering is that we definitely need one that's a Baja edition, and we're hoping to get fiberglass roof over corrugated aluminum just due to potential for hail damage on the aluminum since we live in Colorado.

We love the layout of the 174BH and it's much better than the Hummingbird and r-pod we're also looking at, but paying an additional $5k or so and having more uncertainty around weigh and sail area of the trailer makes us lean toward the smaller more streamlined ones to start. And maybe in a couple years we decide to swap our tow vehicle and trailer.

Does that feel like a reasonable approach given we're first-timers? I keep going back and forth about floorplan vs. weight, potential towing difficulty, and cost.
billyingolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 07:41 PM   #345

Quote:
Thanks so much to both of you. The other thing we're considering is that we definitely need one that's a Baja edition, and we're hoping to get fiberglass roof over corrugated aluminum just due to potential for hail damage on the aluminum since we live in Colorado.

We love the layout of the 174BH and it's much better than the Hummingbird and r-pod we're also looking at, but paying an additional $5k or so and having more uncertainty around weigh and sail area of the trailer makes us lean toward the smaller more streamlined ones to start. And maybe in a couple years we decide to swap our tow vehicle and trailer.

Does that feel like a reasonable approach given we're first-timers? I keep going back and forth about floorplan vs. weight, potential towing difficulty, and cost.
Not sure what you mean about fiberglass roof material. Mine is a rubber membrane on the top and most campers are like that. From what I understand, the particular membrane that Jayco uses is supposed to be one of the best. The aluminum siding does not run up onto the rooftop. I am sure there is someone that makes an aluminum rooftop other than an Airstream but I could not tell you who does off the top of my head. If you look back in my thread where I replaced my AC unit, you will see a few pictures of the top. If my Jayco were to get caught in a hail storm, it may take on some dings in the front area but other than some cosmetic damage, I don't think it would actually do any real harm to it.
Now some of the smaller fiberglass trailers may have fiberglass sides and tops but I have not looked at campers in a while so I don't know which ones do.

As for trailers, if you are really concerned about weight and wind drag, then I would recommend finding the smallest trailer that will still work for your family and start with that.

The tow vehicle... I have been towing stuff for a lot of years. Every vehicle needs at least a little bit of setup for towing.
-You need a solid hitch.
-If you get a camper with brakes, you will need a brake controller installed and you will have to adjust it for your trailer.
-I would recommend a larger transmission cooler for your car. Heat kills transmissions. And service your transmission! I have seen so many people run vehicles, tow like hell, run transmissions hot, never have them serviced, and don't understand why they fail.
-Learn how to use your transmission to help slow down on hills so you are not burning up your brakes.
-Practice pulling and backing.

A couple of long-time friends of mine purchased their first camper just a few months ago. I told them to give it a couple of years and then they would figure out if they really like it or not. They are already hooked! They have already been on 4 trips. Are going next week and again next month. They also already have multiple trips booked for next year.

You will love it or you may not. I would have the mindset of you will love it. Get the camper that you think will work well for your family for at least a few years. That way you don't regret your purchase after only a few trips. That's just my thought anyway. There is no right or wrong, it's what fits you.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #346

Question about shower nozzle

Hi all and thank you Rigger for the great thread! We just purchased a 2017 174bh and are planning on doing a few mods. The TV, lifts for the front storage and upgrading the shower nozzle to start.

I’m sure there will be other questions to follow but for now, can anyone link the shower nozzles you’ve switched out to? I see a few options in the recommended brand and would like to get the correct one!
Thanks all, Rebecca
Attached Thumbnails
23D5598C-29A1-4A58-8FD8-1BC3A0DCC1FA.jpg  
Humboldtjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 10:09 AM   #347

I don’t remember the brand but I just ordered one that had the button on it to stop the water flow. The original one had no cut off unless you shut it off at the knobs.
We don’t use it very often but it’s handy when we do.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:18 AM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
I don’t remember the brand but I just ordered one that had the button on it to stop the water flow. The original one had no cut off unless you shut it off at the knobs.
We don’t use it very often but it’s handy when we do.
Yes I found it in another thread. Oxygenics fury was what I just ordered. It got great reviews!
Humboldtjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #349

--- SPRINGS ---

I think a while ago I mentioned swapping out the springs....

DO IT !!

It is so much better now. Not that it was bad before but now it is so much better!

My springs were starting to get flat and I have always thought they were too soft for the trailer. (Even unloaded) The axle is stamped at a 3750-pound capacity and the springs should be the same but.... I ordered a 4000 pound set of springs, 2000 each, and swapped them out. The originals are a 4 leaf and the new ones are a thicker 3 leaf. Same arch but the new ones lifted the trailer over an inch to an inch and half.

It does not ride harsh at all. Now the suspension moves and absorbs bumps instead of the axle hitting the frame.

We just ran from Charleston SC down to New Orleans and the trailer pulled great.

If you are thinking about swaping them, do it. Its not hard and it is worth it.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:24 PM   #350

Just what I was looking for!

Quote:
I got the box from Tractor Supply but I can't find it on their site now. I am pretty sure this is it...
Plano #161900 Storage Trunk
It is about 13" tall
About 24" long
About 14" wide.

I looked all over the place for boxes that were about the right size. They were to big or to small or to tall or just something that would not fit like I wanted it to. I was in Tractor supply and saw this one. I think it was about $15. It is the perfect size. Holds two 10' sewer hoses. My clean up water hose and other stuff too. I drilled holes in the bottom so I can easily wash it out.
I just picked up some big U Bolts to mount it. (Got those at Tractor Supply too). I had some 1/2" square tubing that I mounted the box to. It worked out really well for storing the stuff I did not want in the camper or in my truck.
The location is also perfect. It is right next to my dump valves.

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you for posting! Seriously!!!
THyatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:28 PM   #351

Outdoor Shower - Thanks to all

Hey all--

I purchased a 2022 174BH last year and this thread has been an amazing source of ideas, inspiration, and how-to. Thanks to Rigger for kicking it off and everyone else who has posted.

I've done a few mods-- mainly simple things like additional shelves in the cabinets, support rods under the beds to keep them up, hooks in the underneath storage for hanging small toolboxes and such.

My most recent upgrade before our upcoming long summer trip was to put in an outdoor shower. I got the specs from Jayco (I've attached for anyone who may need them) and bought the supplies Rigger used in his post.

Pretty terrifying to make that first cut into the side of the camper, but once I realized my measurements were correct and I was up against the stud, I felt better. It went about as well as I could've asked for. I plumbed it in right under the tub, tapped into the water lines under the fridge. I attached some pics-- I meant to take more as I worked through the process, but once I got into it I kind of forgot.

Next up, I'm replacing the fan in the bathroom. I want to be able to get some cross-ventilation. We opted for the ceiling AC when we ordered the camper, but the thing is f-ing loud and never stops running, so we try to avoid using it. I'm planning on getting the MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan - Manual Lift - 4 Speed - White, Item # MA00-05301K. The reviews I read were pretty good. It had good power and was quiet. We'll see. If anyone replaced their fan and has any tips or recommendations, please let me know. I'll try to be more diligent about documenting the process.

Thanks again,
James
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5001-2.jpg   IMG_5002-2.jpg   IMG_5093-2.jpg   IMG_5094-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0071354_R_1_040121.pdf (240.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf 0071354_S_1_071421.pdf (241.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf 0071356_AH_1-2_052521.pdf (170.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf 0071357_W_1-2_071421.pdf (167.4 KB, 6 views)
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:36 PM   #352

Shower hooks, key hooks, shelf

Here are a couple other mods that I did for the camper. I put some shower hooks in the bathroom so we had a place to put our towels. I just attached some hooks to a couple pieces of scrap I had lying around, cut off the part of the screw that protruded through, and then grabbed the studs.

Also got a corner shower shelf that attaches with adhesive that's been great.

Over the toilet I built a small shelf to put a box of tissues, or your phone, wallet etc. when showering. I just attached it with those removable velcro command strips since it doesn't hold much weight and the fewer holes in the walls the better.

We kept finding we had nowhere to leave our keys and small maps or brochures, so I built a small key hook for the side of the cabinet, above the control panel. Attached that with velcro command strips too.

Also, we added some "hammocks" under the cabinets for fruit or other small items. Just trying what we can to keep things neat and off the counters.

James
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3227.jpg   IMG_3229.jpg   65604301129__4C081C03-FAAC-4228-B681-AF80A0D6CAB6.jpg   IMG_3235.jpg   65136684064__94989AC4-DE43-4BD1-8628-EAE6C67C62E6.jpg  

65604231518__5D8FDC0E-1978-4504-8F4E-2467E9E5FE24.jpg  
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:22 PM   #353

Quote:
SUSPENSION AND TIRE UPGRADES

Has anyone done any suspension and tire upgrades to their 174 yet?
Our next trip is about four and half months away and it will be running from here in Charleston to New Orleans for a week's stay. I have had no issues with running gear or tires yet but I have noticed the springs have started to flatten a little. My tires still look good but are starting to show a very small amount of dry cracking in the tread. When I say small, I mean really small.
I am sure the springs on the trailer are pushed to their limit and I have always felt they are a tad soft but the trailer has always and still does pull great.
If I remember correctly, the trailer's gross is just over 3,750 and I think I remember seeing the axle tag rated at 3,750 pounds. ( I need to double-check those numbers)
I was thinking of maybe upgrading the running gear well before this trip to New Orleans as a preventive action.
Curious if anyone has done anything of that nature and if so, what did you go with?

Late to the party, but I swapped my axle/springs/wheels/tires before the 2021 season.

went with Dexter 6k axle (my 3500lb stock axle was bent, this was the next size up I could get from a local place) Ez-lube hubs, spring over perches, measured everything to be the same as the current axle.

Springs - 4000lb springs since the stock ones were flattening. after a year they seem to be retaining their height

6k axle switches to 6 lug, so new 15" steel wheels

Tires - Goodyear endurance 225/75 R15, aside from the look I don't really care about the offroad tires on a trailer, I'm just going to drag it through whatever I encounter anyhow.

I'm happy with the change, I feel much better knowing that the parts I'm using are overkill for my application, especially with this being a tall single axle trailer.
erniegolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:00 PM   #354

Quote:
Just added a little rocker switch and couple of white LED lights up high. It was just the right amount of light for that area.
Love this! What are your part numbers for these switches? Strangely, I can't find the right search words for Amazon.
Old 07-31-2022, 07:15 AM   #355

Quote:
I found this nice little Plano Box at Tractor Supply that was the perfect size. Mounted it on the back bumper so it is right next the drains. It holds everything I wanted it to and worked out great! Only black hose related stuff goes in the box.
What are your bumper mounts? How are they bolted to the box? Does the box wobble?
ElectroLund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:32 AM   #356

Quote:
I really did not want to store the black hose in the bumper or in the camper. I found this nice little Plano Box at Tractor Supply that was the perfect size. Mounted it on the back bumper so it is right next the drains. It holds everything I wanted it to and worked out great! Only black hose related stuff goes in the box.
Hey what is your mounting hardware to that 4" bumper? Try as I may, I can only find $100+ hardware on Amazon. It appears that you have some sort of bar extending from the u-bolts? Not sure where to go to find that.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #357

Thank You

Great thread, and great mods !!!!! I've used some of the mods on my X23E.

Stan & Connie
2021 Jayco X23E
2000 Four Winds Class C 23J (Gone)
2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7

I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection.
Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is God's business.
Xray23Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroLund View Post
Hey what is your mounting hardware to that 4" bumper? Try as I may, I can only find $100+ hardware on Amazon. It appears that you have some sort of bar extending from the u-bolts? Not sure where to go to find that.

You don't need to order $100 worth of stuff off of Amazon. Just hit up any hardware store, Tractor Supply, Lowes, or Homedepot. You could use any type of metal square tube, flat bar, or strut.

I got the big square U Bolts at Tractor Supply and picked up some small square tubing from Homedepot one day. I think my total investment in materials was about $20 at the most.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:08 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Hey all--

I purchased a 2022 174BH last year and this thread has been an amazing source of ideas, inspiration, and how-to. Thanks to Rigger for kicking it off and everyone else who has posted.

I've done a few mods-- mainly simple things like additional shelves in the cabinets, support rods under the beds to keep them up, hooks in the underneath storage for hanging small toolboxes and such.

My most recent upgrade before our upcoming long summer trip was to put in an outdoor shower. I got the specs from Jayco (I've attached for anyone who may need them) and bought the supplies Rigger used in his post.

Pretty terrifying to make that first cut into the side of the camper, but once I realized my measurements were correct and I was up against the stud, I felt better. It went about as well as I could've asked for. I plumbed it in right under the tub, tapped into the water lines under the fridge. I attached some pics-- I meant to take more as I worked through the process, but once I got into it I kind of forgot.

Next up, I'm replacing the fan in the bathroom. I want to be able to get some cross-ventilation. We opted for the ceiling AC when we ordered the camper, but the thing is f-ing loud and never stops running, so we try to avoid using it. I'm planning on getting the MaxxFan Deluxe Roof Vent w/ 12V Fan - Manual Lift - 4 Speed - White, Item # MA00-05301K. The reviews I read were pretty good. It had good power and was quiet. We'll see. If anyone replaced their fan and has any tips or recommendations, please let me know. I'll try to be more diligent about documenting the process.

Thanks again,
James
Nice job on your shower install. I would suggest a longer hose. I replaced the original with one that is a couple of feet longer and more flexable. That was well worth doing.

The roof AC is loud for sure but it does make sure the camper stays cool. I would like to compare the side unit just to hear the noise difference and if it really is enough to cool the camper in hot weather. It was highly recommended to me to get the roof top AC. Not sure if the side unit would cool well at the rear of the camper like where the kids sleep in the bunks. So maybe the noise level is worth it if everyone stays cool.
Old 08-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #360

added lights to several cabinets

Quote:
Another thing I discovered from arriving in the dark was that the large front storage compartment needed some lighting!

Just added a little rocker switch and couple of white LED lights up high. It was just the right amount of light for that area.
I love this project idea! Every time I go out to my camper as the sun is setting, I kick myself for not putting lights in my storage compartments. Lugging around a flashlight sucks.

As much as I wanted to tie into battery voltage, I was feeling lazy. So I found these lights on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NVCJLF5...roduct_details

They have built-in magnetic sensors. The only bad reviews for them have to do with the stick-on velcro pads. So I took them apart to screw them to the doors/cabinets. Not so easy to get a screwdriver/drill into those tiny cabinets, but it's worth it.

This kit comes with four lights, so I went ahead and added to three internal cabinets too!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220820_121141.jpg   IMG_20220820_121155.jpg   IMG_20220820_121201.jpg