Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
Hose storage.

I really did not want to store the black hose in the bumper or in the camper. I found this nice little Plano Box at Tractor Supply that was the perfect size. Mounted it on the back bumper so it is right next the drains. It holds everything I wanted it to and worked out great! Only black hose related stuff goes in the box.
Do you have the link for the storage bin you used for the black hoses and how you attached it?
npbarr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #362

Quote:
My dealer also said it was not needed on my trailer.
The friction style anti sway works great though. Easy to use and the trailer pulls like its on rails. I have pulled it in some nasty weather conditions and never had an issue with it.
Picked mine up at Harbor Freight for less than $30. Welded the tab on the hitch for the bar and that was it.
I did buy a different plate for the trailer. I got the one that just bolts on instead of using the one that comes with the kit.
What plate did you get to replace the harbor freight one? Thank you!
JDNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #363

Quote:
Ordered up a MaxAir cover and installed it today. It was extremely easy to mount. Had the AC on in the camper and with the new exhaust fan on medium, you could really feel the cool air flow through it. It seems to flow air very well and should do a good job of removing shower steam and rough smells from the restroom while not having to be concerned about rain water coming in through the vent.

I picked this one up off of Ebay for about $30.
First, I want to thank everyone for the contribution to this forum. I have learned quite a bit. I picked up a 2022 174BH last weekend and have been working on a bunch of the mods you have posted. (Seems not a lot has changed over the last few years).

I am looking at the MaxAir vent cover for the bathroom. No fan is installed, but i do plan on doing the Vortex2 at some point. I have been reading the Amazon reviews and it seems some are having issues opening or closing the vent. Sounds like some catch on the way back down to close them, or not being able to open them very far. Any issues with those that may have installed the MaxAir?
Combat2000_SJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 08:02 AM   #364

Quote:
Hose storage.

I really did not want to store the black hose in the bumper or in the camper. I found this nice little Plano Box at Tractor Supply that was the perfect size. Mounted it on the back bumper so it is right next the drains. It holds everything I wanted it to and worked out great! Only black hose related stuff goes in the box.
Is there a specific size padlock that fits this tote? In the reviews about it people said that they couldn't get a padlock through the holes.
Carma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:55 PM   #365

Small Bathroom Sink

Hi all, I'm so glad I found this thread. I have a 2021 Jayco 174bh and started TT camping since then, I like all the mods that have been mentioned and will probably do a couple this year. The one thing that I haven't seen throughout this thread is how to put a small bathroom sink in this trailer. Those who have this trailer knows it doesn't have one, that's the only beef my wife has with this trailer. Can someone tell me if they have installed one yet and if so where did you put it.
Thanks.
CoachBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:46 PM   #366

How did you get that plug out? Was yours not threaded? Having a heck of a time getting it out without stripping it. Would an impact wrench work?

Quote:
This is the quick disconnect I installed.

I think you need to use the quick disconnect in that spot and just get a long hose. Mine is around 10 or 12 feet long and I just run it over the axle to where ever I need it. Sometimes it reaches a picnic tabe or I set up a small table to cook on. My hose has the adaptor on it already for a Blackstone. But it is also a 1/4 pipe fitting on the end of the hose so I can change the fitting out to something else if needed in the future.

Lately we have been using a little charcoal grill for cooking more than anything and have not used the Blackstone much at all the last few trips.

As far as getting that fitting out, just pull. Mine was really tight and I had to use two wrenches on it to get it out. It is the sealant they use that makes it so hard.
RNewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:36 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizowudao View Post
Took our first trip in the 174bh this past week! What a great camper!

Question for everyone who has the same trailer... how long are you able to make the tanks last for you? Our baja edition has 30 gallon fresh, 20 gallon black and 20 gallon gray. It was only my wife and I, and we only managed to make everything last about 5 and a half days before we ran out. I feel like this is a pretty low amount of time even though I thought we were conserving well haha! If anyone has any water conservation tips throw them this way! cheers everyone
Headed towards BC this summer and just wondered where this campsite was? Beautiful scenery.
NorthernTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:36 AM   #368

Bumper box

Thank you for this thread Rigger- The bumper box inspired me to do the same. I went to Ace for the 4" brackets, and Scheels for the box.

I had a $25 rewards card for Scheels, so this entire thing cost about $10.
Kiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 01:37 AM   #369

This is a stellar thread. Thanks again for starting it and keeping it going!

We just bought a 2023 184BS Baja. We looked at the 154 and the 174, but after thinking about the size of our boys, we went with the slightly larger TT and the SO.

Aside from command hooks, we haven't made any mods - yet. ;-)

We did buy a 4" memory foam topper from Amazon. I have the 2" version on the bed in my office and love it. The 4" is a different, lush beast altogether. It's gonna be so nice.

Installed the 11.5k WDH today, that was super fun. Might need to adjust the L brackets after loading as I got the front fender height back to original, but the trailer was unloaded. We'll see if it creeps up with a few hundred pounds of gear in the trailer.

The first, official mod for the trailer will be Riggers Black Water Box. That's just slick and will save much needed room in the basement.

Then it'll be the bathroom fan.

I dig that cutting board stove cover, and the fans in the bunks.

Will probably (definitely) end up getting the sway control from HF.

I'm better at taking things apart than I am at putting them back together so If we opt for the outdoor shower down the road, I'll pay through the nose to let the dealer do it.

I'd love to add a 200w solar panel set in addition to the factory 100w, but electrical theory still confuses the hell out of me, so we'll see.

Wife, two teenage boys, two dogs, and a bunch of road snacks all pulled by an 08 Xterra with a few miles on it.
Sehoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:26 PM   #370

Hi all, HUGE thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread! I've spent the last 18 months researching travel trailers (I know, kind of mental) and recently stumbled upon the Jay Flight SLX 174BH. It's been virtually impossible to find a trailer that met my family's needs/requirements, but this really seems to fit the bill.
- Queen bed
- Bunkhouse
- Strong A/C
- Decent build quality
- Under 350lb tongue weight / 5000lb GVWR (You could spend a week alone trying to determine if the maximum tongue weight for the 2016-2020 Kia Sorento V6 AWD is 350lb or 500lb, as it has been printed both ways in owner's manuals. Mine personally says 350lb, but numerous owners regularly tow with tongue weights in excess of 450lb.)

Has anyone actually weighed the tongue of their trailer to know what the exact weight really is? I was also curious if anyone here tows a 174BH with a Sorento or other mid-size SUV like a Highlander or Pilot. Thanks!
BionicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:31 AM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehoner View Post
I'd love to add a 200w solar panel set in addition to the factory 100w, but electrical theory still confuses the hell out of me, so we'll see.
Check out Explorist.Life on YouTube. Really great step-by-step videos on electrical, solar, solar calculators, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@EXPLORISTlife
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 05:58 PM   #372

2024 174bh adding reading lights

Fishing wire not that hard, I just had to be persistent.
Attached Thumbnails
20240210_144005.jpg   20240210_143100.jpg   20240210_143054.jpg  
Electric Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 08:42 PM   #373

174bh reading lights and storage pockets

Finished pic
Attached Thumbnails
20240210_173304.jpg  
Electric Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:12 PM   #374
Site Team

Nice job. They look great.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 04:56 PM   #375

Just picked up our new 174BH and found this thread. Lots of wonderful mods to go through and do.

To note, my 12/2023 build has a 3700 pound axle, I think I saw a 3000 pound axle mentioned in this thread.

Also, has anyone added the traditional floor mounted big pole to the table to make it more sturdy? My boy is already leaning on the flimsy wall mounted table and it looks like it'll rip right out so I want to get ahead of that.
aigochamaloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:12 PM   #376

In regards to bathrooms mods I have a couple questions in case anyone has any experience with these.

1. I have a 2022 with the roof vent that is an ez lift handle that you pull and slide in the track (picture included), rather than the screw knob that lifts the lid. Anyone know how to get a fan to work with that because I have searched to no avail. Only solution I found is completely replace the whole 14"x14" roof vent assembly and I would rather not do that.

2. Has anyone tried hanging a small cabinet above the toilet like I have seen in some other small bunkhouse floor plans around other brand of trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
ez_lift_bottom_grande.png  
adw1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:46 AM   #377

There is a powered version of that vent, but it's only a 6" fan that doesn't do a whole lot. In the end, you would be better off going with a entirely new powered vent. However, you can buy the Fan Motor, Fan Blade and Bracket Mount for the 6" which will cost you around $80. You would just have to add a generic switch. For the money, if you feel inclined to mess with the roof, you'd be better off with a new powered vent.