Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Be careful. Those cheap tires get closer to blow-out with every run above 65 mph.
When originally looking at this trailer, I was a little concerned about it being a single axle rig. But I did a little asking around and most everyone seemed to be happy.

Our trailer has the Goodyear Endurance tires on it. I have never run them on a trailer before but from what I understand, they are supposed to be about as good as you can get.

They have a speed rating of 87mph. So far they run really smooth and warm up nicely. Every time I stop, I always put my hands across the trailer tires and hubs to feel for problems. I am very picky about my trailer's running gear and I have fortunately never had a trailer breakdown on one of my trailers.

Now that I have said that, I bet the next time I pull something I will have a blow out!!
rigger4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
I fitted some lights to my trailer have not used them yet but I mount to the frame using light bar magnets, no need to drill. I also wrapped a zip tie around just in case they fall off, which is unlikely.

Thanks I put them in my cart. Now to find some light pods.
2019 Tundra 5.7 4x4 SR5 D/C
From the great Granite State
Bigmoo315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoo315 View Post
Thanks I put them in my cart. Now to find some light pods.
From the OP’s pictures (nice work btw) I suspect I used the same lights as the Op. here are my lights 6 led for the wheels https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12 led lights for the rear https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used the following
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
From the OP’s pictures (nice work btw) I suspect I used the same lights as the Op. here are my lights 6 led for the wheels https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
12 led lights for the rear https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used the following

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread
Doesn't bother me any. You have good links to stuff that might help somebody else out.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger4343 View Post
Kids were complaining a little about getting in and out of the top bunk. I looked into different options and ended trying a very simple thing first.
Added a second grab handle in a more appropriate location for getting up and back down. My daughter tested it and thought it was a big improvement. It even helped me out too!
That's a great idea adding the second handle. I'd like to do something like that myself. How did you find where the stud is behind the wall to drill the handle into?
HappyCanard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCanard View Post
That's a great idea adding the second handle. I'd like to do something like that myself. How did you find where the stud is behind the wall to drill the handle into?
You can feel it. You can also use a stud finder to help locate studs too. I used a combination of feeling the walls and double checking with a stud finder.

I also found out if you contact Jayco and submit your trailers serial number, they can send you a drawing of all of your frame work in your trailer. I did that and they got right back to me with it.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:23 PM   #27

I like the idea of using the Plano box for black water stuff. Can you tell me (as it is a little difficult to judge from picture) what size box it is and where did you get the bumper mount for it ? thanks
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #28

Great idea

I really like the idea of putting a light in the large front storage compartment. Good job!
jmkdopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #29

I would like to put an outside shower on my 174 as well. Any more details about how you did that? Specifically where you tapped into the hot and cold water and where on the trailer you cut the hole. Also, do you have to go inside an flip the switch for the water pump or did you wire in a switch at the shower box outside?

Really functional and clean mods by the way. Really great work!
Mr. McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnsusie View Post
I like the idea of using the Plano box for black water stuff. Can you tell me (as it is a little difficult to judge from picture) what size box it is and where did you get the bumper mount for it ? thanks
I got the box from Tractor Supply but I can't find it on their site now. I am pretty sure this is it...
Plano #161900 Storage Trunk
It is about 13" tall
About 24" long
About 14" wide.

I looked all over the place for boxes that were about the right size. They were to big or to small or to tall or just something that would not fit like I wanted it to. I was in Tractor supply and saw this one. I think it was about $15. It is the perfect size. Holds two 10' sewer hoses. My clean up water hose and other stuff too. I drilled holes in the bottom so I can easily wash it out.
I just picked up some big U Bolts to mount it. (Got those at Tractor Supply too). I had some 1/2" square tubing that I mounted the box to. It worked out really well for storing the stuff I did not want in the camper or in my truck.
The location is also perfect. It is right next to my dump valves.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (8).jpg   thumbnail (9).jpg   thumbnail (10).jpg  
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McNasty View Post
I would like to put an outside shower on my 174 as well. Any more details about how you did that? Specifically where you tapped into the hot and cold water and where on the trailer you cut the hole. Also, do you have to go inside an flip the switch for the water pump or did you wire in a switch at the shower box outside?

Really functional and clean mods by the way. Really great work!
The outside shower is something that I wanted since the day we brought it home. After camping a few times, I decided that the most useful location for us is where I installed it. It is in the side with the awning but just behind it. I thought about putting it in a couple of other locations but this was my top pick and I was able to get it to work.

I should have taken a few during the install pictures but I did not and now I wish I had.

I had a pretty good idea of where the framing was in the trailer but I got the frame layout from Jayco. I emailed them the serial number and they sent the info back rather quickly for my trailer. I used that just to back up what I thought before cutting a big hole in our new trailer.

The front edge of the shower box lines up with a vertical stud. There is also frame that runs on the bottom of the shower box. I made a little 90 degree shaped frame to slide into the wall to support the top and back side of the box. That gave the shower box something solid to be mounted to all the way around.

I have a the bath tub right behind my shower box so there is not a ton of room. (I would have liked to have installed it higher on the trailer but low was the only choice.) The tub sits on plywood with 2x4 supports. I had to move one of those 2x4 supports over a few inches because it was going to hit my hot water hookup.

I used Pex, brass Pex fittings and stainless Pex crimps to tie into the hot and cold water lines in the trailer. If you have the same trailer I have, if you look in the cabinets where your low water drains are, you will see Pex pipe for water lines. I tied into those lines. No switch or anything else to turn on. Either you have water pressure by your 12v pump or by your city water hook up. Hot and cold water on the outside just like you have in the sink or the inside shower.

I used a body saw, (small air saw) to cut the trailer. It was actually a bit of a PIA and after doing it, it probably would have been easier to use a cutting wheel.

If you have the same trailer and want to install one, feel free to ask me questions. I would be happy to answer.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (11).jpg   thumbnail (12).jpg   thumbnail (14).jpg   thumbnail (15).jpg   thumbnail (13).jpg  

Old 04-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #32

I did beef up the plywood under the queen mattress just a little and made a simple prop rod to hold up the bed when needed.

Future mods....

Maybe mounting a little TV on the wall but I am not positive that I will do that. We really do not watch TV when we go camping at all. That might just be something I do for myself because sometimes I like to go hang out in our camper. Three girls in the house can make you want to do that sometimes!

I think I would like to install a couple of USB charge ports somewhere around the bed so we can charge our cell phones at night.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #33

Quote:
I did beef up the plywood under the queen mattress just a little and made a simple prop rod to hold up the bed when needed.

Future mods....

Maybe mounting a little TV on the wall but I am not positive that I will do that. We really do not watch TV when we go camping at all. That might just be something I do for myself because sometimes I like to go hang out in our camper. Three girls in the house can make you want to do that sometimes!

I think I would like to install a couple of USB charge ports somewhere around the bed so we can charge our cell phones at night.
Wow, very impressive! If you asked me a week ago if I would ever have a trailer, I would have told you that you were crazy. Well, Friday, my wife suggested we buy a trailer so we can go to more jeep events without spending $500 every weekend we go. Saturday we were owners of the same trailer which is how I found this thread. I started googling "Jayco Flight 174BH how to use" lol.

I love all your upgrades and I just ordered the rear lights. I will need to add some kind of handle like you did so my 5 year old can get on the top bunk easier.

I have a few questions as I would love to do some of your other upgrades.

The prop rod...how did you do that? I was thinking I wanted to add some kind of lifting shocks (what I call them lol) so it would come up and stay up as needed.

Where did you get the outside shower parts? After a day on the trails or beach, it would be nice to rinse off before going inside!

Also, where did you get your new mount for two propane tanks?

Your Jayco is looking great.
JeepnRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:46 AM   #34

There are lifting pistons for the bed. A prop rod seems to me unsafe.. That bed is very heavy if it comes down on your neck
Its not a car hood.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
There are lifting pistons for the bed. A prop rod seems to me unsafe.. That bed is very heavy if it comes down on your neck
Its not a car hood.
Did you add some to yours? I'm trying to figure out what size I would need.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Did you add some to yours? I'm trying to figure out what size I would need.
Yes we did.. We have a 195 though We used something similar to this..
https://www.campingworld.com/standar...kit-66717.html

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Yes we did.. We have a 195 though We used something similar to this..
https://www.campingworld.com/standar...kit-66717.html
Perfect, thank you!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Last summer we decided to purchase a new 2019 Jayco Jay Flight 174 BH. I don't normally like to buy something like that new but for various reasons, my wife and I decided to go brand new.

The 174 BH fit what we needed as far as size and floor plan. I almost went with the one that had a slide out but in the end we decided to keep it simple and not do the slide. It kept the cost and weight down plus it is one less thing for me to fix in the future. We did not want a large camper and this one seemed to have everything we wanted in a small package.

I wanted a simple camper without lots of bells and whistles. Then I could add what we felt we wanted as time goes on.

We have had it on about 5 short weekend trips so far. One of those was just me and the dog heading from Charleston, SC up into the mountains for a long weekend.

As far as towing goes, I have no complaints. I did install a friction anti sway bar and that is all it has needed. I can run 70mph and it pulls just fine. No issues with rigs passing or bad weather. She seems to be a good pulling and well balanced trailer. I pull it with my 2014 Toyota Tacoma.

We have two girls, 12 and 13. The bunks work well for them and the queen mattress up front is fine for my wife and I. I would not mind it being a tad softer but I think a simple foam topper would be all that I would like. Our pup sleeps in a little crate under the table.

Almost all of our trips so far have been while it was cold at night. Getting down into the low 40's and touching the upper 30's. I actually have not used the furnace. Just a smaller electric space heater and it has been all that we have needed. One reason for doing that was just to conserve propane. We got one with the roof top AC and from what I can see so far, it will be more than enough to keep the camper ice cold in the summer.

The camper seems to have plenty of lighting for our needs. We also have more than enough storage. The fridge has proven to hold enough for a few days of cooking for the 4 of us. A couple of times it has gotten a little too cold and it froze some eggs but I can deal with that.

So far build quality is what I expect for the price range and brand. I have had no issues with it so far and will just repair and modify as needed in the future.

So far we are happy with it and it has worked well. It is big enough for the 4 of us to be comfy and small enough for just myself to use. Overall I would recommend it to someone looking for a similar floor plan.
Glad to hear you found something that meets all of your needs. I like keeping things as simple as possible because typically "more" ends up being more work for me.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #39

Thank you that looks great. Think I will give it a go for my stuff too.
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnRv View Post
Wow, very impressive! If you asked me a week ago if I would ever have a trailer, I would have told you that you were crazy. Well, Friday, my wife suggested we buy a trailer so we can go to more jeep events without spending $500 every weekend we go. Saturday we were owners of the same trailer which is how I found this thread. I started googling "Jayco Flight 174BH how to use" lol.

I love all your upgrades and I just ordered the rear lights. I will need to add some kind of handle like you did so my 5 year old can get on the top bunk easier.

I have a few questions as I would love to do some of your other upgrades.

The prop rod...how did you do that? I was thinking I wanted to add some kind of lifting shocks (what I call them lol) so it would come up and stay up as needed.

Where did you get the outside shower parts? After a day on the trails or beach, it would be nice to rinse off before going inside!

Also, where did you get your new mount for two propane tanks?

Your Jayco is looking great.
I thought the framing under the bed was little short and allowed the plywood to flex a bit when I lifted it. I just extended the frame a little more and kind of boxed it in at the end. Just used some 1x2 that I had laying around. I cut another one the length I needed to hold the bed at a height I wanted it at. Simple and easy.

I can see where some may be concerned about it falling but the way I made mine, it can't slip out. Well maybe it could I guess if you pushed on it really hard but it would take a good bit of effort to make it move.

I don't see why you could not use some lift struts on it if you wanted to. If I were going to be lifting the bed a lot, I might want to go that rout and maybe I will in the future. But for now, my board does the job.

The shower kit... I got it from Etrailer. They actually have a lot of RV stuff and I have had good luck ordering from them over the years.

The dual tank kit... I think I ordered it off of Ebay if I remember correctly. From the camping we have done so far, having two tanks is probably overkill but I like having the second tank on board just for back up.
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail (17).jpg