Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #1

Jayco Inside Storage Door Access Problem

Our 2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 6 - 264 BHW travel trailer, has access to the rear storage compartment inside the trailer under the bottom bunk. The problem is it takes 1 hand to prop and hold open the storage access door, while using the other hand to put in/take out something from storage (usually a large bulky item). A feat most mortal men cannot perform by themselves.

The question I have is, has anyone else encountered this same problem and what solution you came up with to solve the problem.
Randel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't have your model, but a gas strut kit may take the pressure off you. Our short queen bed has a pair of 100 lb struts to assist it. It still takes some lifting to get under it, but it's manageable.

http://www.hatchlift.com/bedlift-kits

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #3

Jayco Inside Storage Door Access Problem

Thank you "JFlightRisk" for your response. I've considered gas struts to open the storage compartment door. However the gas struts I've looked at will only provide about a 45-50 degree door lift. But I need the door opened to about a 90 degree angle to allow easy/complete access to the storage compartment. I haven't yet found any gas struts that will open the door that far.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

We used to have a service truck with tool box compartment doors on both sides. They used what looked like a compressed 1 inch diameter spring to hold them open. To close the door you just kinked the spring anywhere along its length and then easily shut the door. The doors opened easy too. Truck is long gone so I can’t get pictures. The doors would be held open at least 90 degrees. Maybe something like that would work for you. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #5

In our Eagle HT, Jayco used something that looks like this.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1292762471?ii...SABEgKWH_D_BwE

Ours do about 90 degrees, but I am sure you can move the around to slightly adjust that. The do this because of how close they are mounted to the hinge. If you move them further away from the hinge, they would open less. So, you could do that with any strut. I am not sure the scale and weight of your door. Pick an appropriate strength and just mount it closer to the hinge.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #6

Hi "Jay2504", Your post mentioned the springs were 1" in diameter, but do you remember how long they were?
Old 04-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

Hello "MadMaxMutt", Thanx for the response and cabinet & strut picture. Because the storage door is 3/8" plywood x 75" long x 18" wide, and weight equals about 25-30 lbs with the bunk mattress always pushing down on it (mattress is very difficult to remove), I am trying to think of a way to 'hook' the door open rather than 'push' it open. Just trying to think outside-the-box
Old 04-12-2020, 05:56 PM   #8

Randal J, I would say that the springs were maybe 16 inches long. After reading your other posts, I don’t think that the springs I talked about would be a good solution for your situation. If the lift cylinders won’t work for you, maybe some type of prop rod or an eyelet and hook would hold it up for you. Please post pictures of what you finally come up with. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randel J View Post
Hello "MadMaxMutt", Thanx for the response and cabinet & strut picture. Because the storage door is 3/8" plywood x 75" long x 18" wide, and weight equals about 25-30 lbs with the bunk mattress always pushing down on it (mattress is very difficult to remove), I am trying to think of a way to 'hook' the door open rather than 'push' it open. Just trying to think outside-the-box
Pictures might help us peanut gallery engineers get a better idea of what you are trying to solve.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #10

Pictures of the trailer's inside storage bin is a good idea. I'll go to the trailer storage facility later this week and take pictures for all you "peanut gallery engineers" to take a look at the situation.