Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #1

LED awning lights on 26BH w/ electric awning

After seeing the final results you guys posted I ordered 3 sets of LED lights, 1 set for me, a set for my daughter and a buddy bought a set from me.

I wanted to follow the existing electric awning wiring but found no way to easily pull the new wire to the LED strip. This is what I found: In the bedroom was a random key chain holder on the wall. Behind that is the access to the awning wiring. I could not pull the wires from the control panel to this location. It is only about 5-6' away but I think the wires are taped.

Here is the wiring going to awning:

and the control panel wiring:

Decided to use the rear most awning arm and mount the controller in the rear storage area. Drilled through to inside:

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #2

The wire I used is 22 AWG Teflon coated 4 conductor shielded I "found" at work! I love working in industry! The wife and I routed the wire up the awning arms until it came out the head:

If you have the electric awning you will notice the factory wiring fits into a channel along the edges of the arms. We just followed this and used some of the same caulking used for the sides and stuck the wire in that. We caulked it about every 8" or so. I didn't take pics but it seems to work pretty good.

Once the wiring was run and caulked, I proceeded to splice the wires onto the existing controller after cutting it apart!

I soldered and heat shrunk each wire individually and then the bunch:

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
Old 04-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #3

Ran 2 new wires from the converter box, under the bathroom sink, toilet and shower into the storage compartment. I then spliced the 12V supply part of the controller together.

Mounted the controller on the side wall out of the way leaving the IR pickup facing out the storage door.

On the awning head end I spliced the wires the same way, individually soldered and heat shrunk and then the bunch. I will have to take pics of the LED's up close so those pics will come later.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:58 PM   #4

Here is how the wire is run up the arms:

Can't really see the wire but it's in there:

Enlarged the drain hole in the cover and ran it through there. Added a cable support as well.

You can also see I ty-rapped around the tube to make sure it doesn't come off.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Had just enough to tuck it under. I ended up cutting about 13" - 14" off the end.

Starting to get dark so you can see them a little better.

If you look close enough, you can see the IR pickup sensor in the top left corner:

Old 04-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Team

I need to get some of those large ties for mine.....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

Here is little later pic from tonight:

Wife and I went out to put the awning up at dark and it was just like day time under there! Hopefully we get a long service life out of these as they are pretty cool!