Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #1

LED ribbon lights

Has any one tried these? I see that most a strictly lights with no way to plug in. I quess you have to buy a transformer or something to adapt from 12V to 110? I would really like to install some outside the TT, along the bottom, sorta like you see on cars.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

I was reading another post about exterior lights, and I guess you have power at the 7 pin connector. I know that the led ribbons are 12v so I guess you could probably tap in just about anywhere. I was hoping someone had bought a roll and tried it. They make them waterproof as well, and I thought they would look pretty decent outlining the bottom of the TT when parked. I also don't like to hang lights from my awning (bad experience) and thought that the ribbons would also give some nice added light while sitting out at night. Here is what I am talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Waterpro...I1WZ7I9YLEZPSX
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #3

I like the idea of lights under the trailer when parked. I do hang lights from my awning but in the event I needed to close it quickly... it's a process to take them down. If anyone has done this or plans to, please share your experience. Thanks!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #4

It looks as though you need this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers..._bxgy_hi_img_b

to power the strip. Maybe if you mounted this under the trailer near your shore power you could plug into the CG pedestal. you could even add this:

http://www.amazon.com/SVAT-WRC101-Wi...+remote+outlet

for remote control.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

I added the ribbon lights to our awning earlier this year. I ran the wire up the awning arm (electric awning with the scissor arms) and up to the roof, over to the the refrigerator vent and down the refrigerator vent. From there I picked up 12-volt from the wires that power the fridge. I then used double sided tape and stuck the controller to the vent cover for the fridge. I stuck the IR sensor for the remove out of one of the vent holes. I like the set up. However, after using it this past week I had a problem with the lights themselves. They have a solder connection every 3 LEDs, it looks as though I cracked one of those on the install and half the set started doing crazy things and finally quit working on the last day. I will see if I can heat it back up and fix that some way. If you do install them, don't unroll them from the roll they come on until you install them and then don't unroll the whole thing, just a little at a time and stick them to the surface as you go. Hopefully I can fix mine without having to replace them.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #6

I installed these on my power awning this spring. I think I paid about $40.00 for the entire setup. 300 LED waterproof flexible light strip with a dimmer and 120 V adapter which I only used once. I wound up running them down my arms and through the wall with the dimmer mounted inside my hanging closet. I like them since I do not need to go out and take anything down when I roll my awing up at night and I have a plug on the end that unplugs itself should I need to bring it in urgently. The dimmer function is a great addition should you need to lower the output. Having them as 12 V also is great for boondocking which is when I use them most. The transformers work well too for a 230 V install. Make sure they are waterproof though. There are some sold that are not sealed.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote