Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #21

I ended up breaking the old bulbs and digging the base out with a scratch awl. All is good and the lights look great.
Smoothslx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #22

Rapid Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type-A View Post
I have 3157 bulbs in the rear. I was wanting to change them out with the LED equivelant. From what I read, I should get the 63 bulb version so I have the light output. But I also read that some of these need a diode to prevent "rapid flash". Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I do not think you will have a "rapid flash" problem with LED's, but just the opposite! They draw such a low amount of power the problem be just the opposite - slow flash. But, where your tow vehicle flashes fine, with LED's your flasher will see a very minimum of load increase and should not have as much effect as your standard bulbs would cause..
On another note, as stated there are very reasonable light assembles that will s work better and cause you no problems down the line as they are a sealed unit.
Bad-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #23

I believe someone mentioned this site, but this place has great LED lamps, I had them on my old Jayco for about 10 years with no problems. And, I set them so if I put a turn signal on, the outboard lite blinked normal, while the inboard one did 3 quick flashes! On braking, both inboards flashed 3 times, then stayed on steady. They are bright and very visible!

http://www.bargman.com/content/default.aspx
Bad-Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
SmokerBill, the marker lights on the TT and TV use electric that you engine makes through your alternator. The greater the load on your alternator requires more engine power to produce the required electric. So if you reduce the power load on the alternator, you in theory you would increase your fuel economy. I just wonder how much the fuel economy would increase.

Personally I have been thinking about changing my exterior lights, reason being I think LEDs are more noticeable when drive at night.
Do LED's reduce the load on the alternator? Yes.
Does the reduced load on the alternator result in improved gas mileage? Yes.
How much improvement? It would take tightly controlled laboratory conditions to measure the difference.

From the standpoint of cost savings it would take a many years to recover the cost of the LED's in gas savings. That being said if you like the way LED's look and perform then go for it. But fuel savings is not a justification.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Air View Post
I do not think you will have a "rapid flash" problem with LED's, but just the opposite! They draw such a low amount of power the problem be just the opposite - slow flash. But, where your tow vehicle flashes fine, with LED's your flasher will see a very minimum of load increase and should not have as much effect as your standard bulbs would cause..
On another note, as stated there are very reasonable light assembles that will s work better and cause you no problems down the line as they are a sealed unit.

Rapid flash is a signal to the driver that he has a burned out signal light. IF you have LED's in the tow vehicle and trailer you will need an LED COMPLIANT flasher unit. but if you just have LED's on the trailer the system will work fine. I have my truck and trailer switched over to LED's.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #26

An advantage of LED lights are that they usually light up quicker than traditional incandescent lights...

The sooner they light up behind a RV,,,, the best it is for your safety and the safety of those riding behind you!
1200/12,000 Equal-I-Zer Hitch
Salsa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa03 View Post
An advantage of LED lights are that they usually light up quicker than traditional incandescent lights...

The sooner they light up behind a RV,,,, the best it is for your safety and the safety of those riding behind you!
As with the fuel savings issue the difference in light up speed is insignificant. A couple of milliseconds. In regard to the safety aspect the LED's are probably less prone to burn out when compared to incandescent bulbs.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
As with the fuel savings issue the difference in light up speed is insignificant. A couple of milliseconds. In regard to the safety aspect the LED's are probably less prone to burn out when compared to incandescent bulbs.
My same thoughts--plus I think they are brighter...

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote