Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #1

led to replace oem ceiling lites

Am wanting to swap out a few ceiling fixtures in my 2014 White Hawk and up grade them to led. Finding I can replace the whole fixture w/ led for about the same cost as bulbs. I know a lot of threads have covered the subject of finding the best led bulbs but I am going to swap the fixtures as there is nothing special about the oem pancakes.

I ordered a fixture that I had previously used on my houseboat deck and liked it. Ran into 2 problems in the TT. First the new fixtures are rounded instead of rectangular and the overall footprint is narrower so you end up with some of the original holes exposed. 2nd problem was I couldn't get the fixture to work even after trying a second one and it didn't work. I returned the whole batch as defective. Then after reading the reviews, I discovered the problem is in the wiring. The fixtures have red and black wires and the TT has black and white with the black rv wire being positive. So black to black and red to white [neg] made sense. Find out that 12v black is positive in an rv but black is negative in non rv systems. So you have to wire red+ from the fixture to the black+ in the ceiling and then red- from the fixture to the white- neg in the ceiling. Apparantly leds are sensitive to polarity and if reversed DO NOT WORK.

Just ordered a different fixture [$19] from Amazon that is slightly larger and should cover the old holes but also has the same red black wiring. Now that I know the trick, I should have no trouble, but it really gives you pause to wire red to black and black to white.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Am wanting to swap out a few ceiling fixtures in my 2014 White Hawk and up grade them to led. Finding I can replace the whole fixture w/ led for about the same cost as bulbs. I know a lot of threads have covered the subject of finding the best led bulbs but I am going to swap the fixtures as there is nothing special about the oem pancakes.

I ordered a fixture that I had previously used on my houseboat deck and liked it. Ran into 2 problems in the TT. First the new fixtures are rounded instead of rectangular and the overall footprint is narrower so you end up with some of the original holes exposed. 2nd problem was I couldn't get the fixture to work even after trying a second one and it didn't work. I returned the whole batch as defective. Then after reading the reviews, I discovered the problem is in the wiring. The fixtures have red and black wires and the TT has black and white with the black rv wire being positive. So black to black and red to white [neg] made sense. Find out that 12v black is positive in an rv but black is negative in non rv systems. So you have to wire red+ from the fixture to the black+ in the ceiling and then red- from the fixture to the white- neg in the ceiling. Apparantly leds are sensitive to polarity and if reversed DO NOT WORK.

Just ordered a different fixture [$19] from Amazon that is slightly larger and should cover the old holes but also has the same red black wiring. Now that I know the trick, I should have no trouble, but it really gives you pause to wire red to black and black to white.
CORRECTION TO FIRST POST: To get them to work you need to wire the red+ to the black+ and the black- [on fixture] to the white- on the ceiling to get the replacement fixtures to work. Of course there are no instructions with the new fixtures.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

I've done the bulb replacement for both TT's we've owned. I order LED's from eBay and the sellers were in China so the price was low and the shipping pretty reasonable. I always order extras and have a couple fail that were replacing halogen bulbs. I don't recall exactly what I've paid but it was in the $2-4 range depending on the bulb type I'm replacing.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I've done the bulb replacement for both TT's we've owned. I order LED's from eBay and the sellers were in China so the price was low and the shipping pretty reasonable. I always order extras and have a couple fail that were replacing halogen bulbs. I don't recall exactly what I've paid but it was in the $2-4 range depending on the bulb type I'm replacing.
Have tried the bulb swap and struck out on 3 different ones I tried. Lite too dim or too white etc. What did you buy to replace the standard pancake lites?
Old 01-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

By pancake I guess you are talking about the 921 bulb. I looked for a replacement that matched the lumen and color ( about 3000K). I don't recall the exact replacement but Google for the lumen and color of the bulb and look for a similar LED.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #6

We replaced ours in the main cabin with these, they are warm white

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

In our bathroom we used the cool white ones.

They have worked out great.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maromeo View Post
We replaced ours in the main cabin with these, they are warm white

Amazon.com: GRV T10 921 194 24-5050 SMD LED Bulb lamp Super Bright Warm White AC/DC 12V -28V Pack of 2: Automotive

In our bathroom we used the cool white ones.

They have worked out great.
Thx- Just ordered a set of each.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

Curious...what kind of light fixture did you order? I'm trying to find a good looking 12V flush mount fixture, but no luck. My Jayco pancake fixture went out in the bathroom. I wish the 110 fixtures from Lowe's would work. Frustrating.
flyauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #9

Quote:

Curious...what kind of light fixture did you order? I'm trying to find a good looking 12V flush mount fixture, but no luck. My Jayco pancake fixture went out in the bathroom. I wish the 110 fixtures from Lowe's would work. Frustrating.
flyauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

I did bulb replacements, through eBay, on my previous TT. Replaced every 12v bulb in the interior, the compartments, and the porch light. The plug-in's Chinese bulbs were often a bit loose, and I found that to keep the bugs tight and in constant contact after a long drive, I took some of the little plastic toothpicks, and used them as wedges in the socket, keeping the plugs tight. Clipped off with excess toothpick toe-nail clippers.

I was even able to find LED replacement bulbs for the stove hood light, and for the refrigerator bulb!
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyauburn View Post
Don't remember but it was $19 and from Amazon.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Don't remember but it was $19 and from Amazon.
Went back to my Amazon account and it was a 4200k double dome pancake lite sold by Recreation Pro. Its now only $17.95. Good unit.