Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Lend-A-Hand Hand Rail

We had the dealer install a Lend-A-Hand hand rail on our X23F before we brought it home. Safety issue for our parents and grandchildren, whom we want to include in our adventures. 3 days after we get it home, used the rail about 5 times myself, and the top part rips clear out of the outer wall. Unimpressed! Another RV repairman said he won't install one without screwing through both the outer and inner wall and attaches it to a metal plate. Not the best looking, but can be worked with.

Anyone else install one of these, and if so, how were they anchored? I'm fairly ticked at the dealership - if they had communicated what it takes to anchor it, I'd have said do it. Now, I'm just ticked.

Help?

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
navymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by navymommy View Post
We had the dealer install a Lend-A-Hand hand rail on our X23F before we brought it home. Safety issue for our parents and grandchildren, whom we want to include in our adventures. 3 days after we get it home, used the rail about 5 times myself, and the top part rips clear out of the outer wall. Unimpressed! Another RV repairman said he won't install one without screwing through both the outer and inner wall and attaches it to a metal plate. Not the best looking, but can be worked with.

Anyone else install one of these, and if so, how were they anchored? I'm fairly ticked at the dealership - if they had communicated what it takes to anchor it, I'd have said do it. Now, I'm just ticked.

Help?
I would be ticked as well. Interesting that you posted this just now, because at about the same time I was starting the following thread, thinking about installing one of those rails:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...bar-33351.html

I'm thinking about installing one myself, and wondered about being able to securely mount it. Just curiosity, how far away from the door frame was it mounted?

Thanks!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

We had the dealer install one on our new 2015 White Hawk 20MRB. Nothing to anchor it to around the door, so he did what your repairman suggested. Like you say, not pretty but it works,

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I'm thinking about installing one myself, and wondered about being able to securely mount it. Just curiosity, how far away from the door frame was it mounted?
Right up against the door frame.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.” G.K. Chesterton
Old 02-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

The installer may have over tightened the screws and stripped the frame.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
We had the dealer install one on our new 2015 White Hawk 20MRB. Nothing to anchor it to around the door, so he did what your repairman suggested. Like you say, not pretty but it works,
How big is your plate? We are thinking of just repairing it ourselves, and wondering if a plain electrical receptical cover would hide it. They are plastic and could be painted to match the interior.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
I would be ticked as well. Interesting that you posted this just now, because at about the same time I was starting the following thread, thinking about installing one of those rails:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f7...bar-33351.html

Thanks!

Roger
I bought one from Cabellas for about $35 and installed it over the small handle that was already mounted on my JayFlight. There are 4 - 2" lag screws to install into the frame of the door. A very easy mod and certainly well worth the cost & effort. No fun slipping off the steps with your hand in the little handle ... nearly pulled a finger off! Never again with the new handle!

I can't relate to the reasoning from the dealer in not wanting to install it.
I weigh around 225# and I could hang from the handle and it wouldn't pull loose. No need to install bolts that go all the way through to the inside.

............ Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #8

I installed a Lend a Hand on my 2015 Jay Flight 26BH last Summer. Right up against door frame leaving existing handle in place. Mine has the aluminum exterior. I researched it before the install. I drilled a test hole to verify there was wood frame behind where I was installing handle and I made sure not to over tighten screws. I used the long screws provided with the handle.
I added the handle due to lifting my camper with an axle flip and needing a step stool to reach the first folding step. I am a big boy but the handle is used more as a guide and I'm not putting any real weight on it going in or out. It is very sturdy and is doing its job as designed. I'm very happy.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #9

The service department is going to redo the handle tomorrow. I looked closer, (not just taking my hubby's word for it), and it WAS screwed into a stud. Maybe they did strip the stud. I'm going to watch them do the work this time. I weigh 135 and used the handle maybe 4-5 times, carefully. No way it should have pulled out.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

The metal plate is about 1/8 inch plate but small enough to just hold the two screws on the upper & lower part of the handle. No stud near the door on a White Hawk.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #11

I was under the impression that all the jay flights came with grab rails. Now that I looked at some of the pics, I see that isn't the case. Some have the big rail, some have a little grab handle and some have nothing. They're all about the same height off the ground with the same number of steps,no?
For safety's sake, the fold in grab rail is something they should put on all the units as standard equipment IMO.

Tags
hand rail installation