Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #1

Locating Additional Stabilizer Jacks

I have the TT in signature – a 2015 Jayflight 28BHBE – and I want to add additional stabilizer jacks – one on each side behind the axles toward the rear of the trailer and one on each side before the axles toward the front of the trailer – a total of four. I have used those screw type jacks in the past but that has become annoying.

MY TT has the enclosed underbelly. I can see one side of the frame clearly but the other side is covered by the underbelly material.

My question: is there any way to tell whether or not I am drilling through the bottom part of the I and into something that I don’t want to hit? My assumption is that if I can push up on the underbelly material far enough to slip a bolt through a hole I drill then I am fine; if I cannot push up the underbelly material then there must be something there (like a black water tank maybe?).

Does this make sense? Is there a better way?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

Depending on the underbelly covering (my new TT uses fabric), you should be able to tell the difference between the I-beam or C-channel and a plastic water tank.

If not, then the cover has to be removed so you can clearly see what is structure and what is storage.

Then you can drill your holes safely and reinstall the cover.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

sounds like you should contact Jayco with your vin number, and ask for the frame drawing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

The only tanks you'll have to worry about in those locations are your fresh water tanks. They ride right against the curb side frame right in front of the forward axle. Your black and grey tanks are mounted more rearward and toward the center of the trailer, away from the axles. Of course this all assumes there haven't been significant changes to design between '14 and '15.

I wonder if Jayco would provide the frame drawing on a brand new unit? And I also wonder if the tanks are mounted in the exact same place on every unit?

If it were me, I would remove part of the underbelly and look. Or perhaps there is an access panel somewhere nearby. Tanks aren't the only things to hit down there; you have wiring and propane lines as well.

I'm interested to hear how your project goes, keep us updated.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
sounds like you should contact Jayco with your vin number, and ask for the frame drawing.
This is where I would start. You absolutely need to see what you are drilling through. There could be other things of interest besides the tanks....like a gas line or brake wire. I just installed two on my fiver and had to install a 2"X2"X3/16" square tube onto the bottom of the frame in order to avoid a gas line.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

OK, I am starting tomorrow morning. I'll begin by trying to roll back the underbelly material to ensure all is clear.

I'll update tomorrow night.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #7

Did the additional jacks Saturday. Three were fairly straightforward - I felt around and picked spots quite close to what I wanted to start with. Some time with the drill, then bolt on.

The fourth was tough - there was all kinds of stuff where I wanted to put the jack. There were drains, propane lines, electrical lines, ... Everywhere I felt on the inside of the frame was occupied.

I placed the fourth jack as best I could without relocating anything. I cut a piece of 3/16 inch steel the width of the frame and the same length as the attachment point. I used two bolts only on the outside of the frame, going through the jack base and the steel plate. Now comes a weld across the bottom of the frame at each end of the steel plate and a weld on the base of the jack to the steel plate.

Next is some time with the wire brush, sandpaper, and Rustoleum to keep ahead of the rust - was cold and rainy all day Sunday so could not get that done.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:14 AM   #8

Good Deal!

Enjoy the more stable (and no leaks) camping.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
... Rustoleum to keep ahead of the rust - was cold and rainy all day Sunday so could not get that done.
You should look at paint call Chassis Saver, I've used both Rustoleum, Rutoleum Pro, POR 15, and Chassis Saver and found Chassis Saver to be the best.

I get it from a local auto parts store, they don't stock it but they can order it. It's a little pricey, but I feel it's well worth the $.

FYI - If you use it, wear gloves and cover up because if you get it on your skin, it doesn't wash off - takes a couple of weeks to wear off - (I know this from experience )

Just sharing my experiences with painting trailer & truck frame, hitch, etc. to keep ahead of rust.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
Did the additional jacks Saturday. Three were fairly straightforward - I felt around and picked spots quite close to what I wanted to start with. Some time with the drill, then bolt on.
What is your experience with all eight jacks deployed? I am planning on putting an extra set in the middle of the trailer, right in front of the axles. I did not think of putting two extra sets like you did.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
What is your experience with all eight jacks deployed? I am planning on putting an extra set in the middle of the trailer, right in front of the axles. I did not think of putting two extra sets like you did.
I'm curious as well...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote