Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

magnet question... exterior sun shade

We've used Reflectix on the inside of windows before, but its a bit of a pain and doesn't work as well as I want. I was considering cutting pieces of Reflectix and putting them on the outside of the window, reflecting that heat BEFORE it gets inside the camper. I was thinking neodymium magnets, a couple along the top of the window on the inside, a couple along the outside of the Reflectix (so the glass and Reflectix is sandwiched between the magnets).

Has anyone tried something like this? Any suggestions?

It appears the window frame is aluminum, so I can't just use magnets to attach to the frame, which was my first choice.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #2

I'm with you in that stopping the sun BEFORE it gets inside is the best idea. I do like the concept of using magnets, but offhand I have no helpful ideas on how to implement it.

A bit off topic, but still keeping the sun out...
I recall reading about a system (but I don't recall the name ) where adhesive studs are attached around the window(s) and a shade screen is fastened to those studs. The shade screen material is removable, but the studs are permanently attached.

I've rigged up 70% shade cloth (6'x9'), a pole, and some bungee cords to shade our large rear window. I haven't had the opportunity to test it when camping with the air cond on, but I'm optimistic.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I'm with you in that stopping the sun BEFORE it gets inside is the best idea. I do like the concept of using magnets, but offhand I have no helpful ideas on how to implement it.

A bit off topic, but still keeping the sun out...
I recall reading about a system (but I don't recall the name ) where adhesive studs are attached around the window(s) and a shade screen is fastened to those studs. The shade screen material is removable, but the studs are permanently attached.

I've rigged up 70% shade cloth (6'x9'), a pole, and some bungee cords to shade our large rear window. I haven't had the opportunity to test it when camping with the air cond on, but I'm optimistic.

I believe you were thinking of EZ snap RV shades

https://youtu.be/rB_mVlZEBYE

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Are you referring to magneshade? They attach with magnets as well. Magnets are glued to the inside of the window and the shade itself has magnets sewn into it, so you just line up the magnets. A bit pricey, but reviews are very positive.

https://magneshade.com
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #5

Ive seen the ezsnaps, but they are kinda pricey. Im essentially trying to make my own magna shades, but for a fraction of the price. For $30 in magnets and $30 in Reflectix I can make my own which reflect ALL the light and heat.

Just not sure how it'll work....
Old 05-21-2019, 06:15 AM   #6

How about velcro?????
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #7

So it was a pretty big failure. The magnets hold okay, but a little gust of wind pulling on the Reflectix creates enough force to easily slide the magnet away from the other magnet and allows the Reflectix to blow away. Lesson learned.

Has anyone tried the EZsnap system? I was mainly worried about insulating the windows in the main area of the camper. Two of the windows are on the side of the slide, and I worry about the effect of the mounted snaps against the rubber seal... I'm afraid the snaps will eventually tear the rubber slide seal.

I think I'll be fine with the EZsnap system on the regular windows, but still unsure of the sides of the slide...