Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #1

Major modification?

Has anyone attempted major modifications or renovations to their Jayco?

modifications like:
- moving the door or a window to a different location.
- moving the water heater or refrigerator.

Rearraging the funiture or re-painting in one thing, but my goals are on a different level.

we don't need the bunks of our 26BHS anymore, and would like more counterspace and closet space. The closest we have found to a layout we like is in the CruiserRV MPG model 2120.
A full queen in front, a wraparound kitchen with a small breakfast bar. finally a full bath with a wardrobe in the back.

Tim
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

I personally would be more inclined in selling the unit to someone who wanted a bunk model, and buy the model that now fits your needs.
Not to say that you cant do it, but it would take a significant amount of skill to get it right, including filling in the through wall holes.
Another notable thing, when they design and engineer these floorplans, they are doing so with weight distribution in mind. That's a pretty easy thing to mess up.

2008 345BHS
Preacher87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #3

Remodel

There are several RV remodeling companies that can do anything to the interior of an RV - I would think that you could add a window but closing up a hole and relocating a door or window would be a much more of a challenge but I have heard of slideouts being added to motorhomes that didn’t have one so I guess that anything is possible -we had our Girard water heater replaced with the Truma Comfort and relocated to under the stovetop on our Seneca and love it
The larger RV Rallies ( FMCA and others ) will have a vendor that does upgrades that sometimes give a seminar and give estimates on site
LES

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #4

26BH modifications

"we don't need the bunks of our 26BHS anymore, and would like more counterspace and closet space. "

We bough a 26BH and immediately removed the bunks and turned that space into a laundry room, pantry, closet, and dressing room. We installed a Splendide washer-dryer and hooked it into the bathroom plumbing. We have more storage space than I've seen on much bigger units - way more than enough for the two of us. We added a curtain in the opening between the kitchen and the bathroom sink. That gives us a nice space to dress - much better than dressing in the tiny bathroom space! Oh, I forgot! Our back room is also a spot for our two dogs. We bought a portable crib mattress and it fits perfectly under our pantry shelves.
LBLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:25 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Great to make it the way you have comfort with the TT, that's my motto.
Happy camping and travelling.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Since these campers seem to be held together with not much more than a million sheet metal screws! It might be dangerous to do much of anything!Other than maybe hang a picture lol. Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #7

It could be done, but I doubt it would be worth all the cost, time, material and labor. As others have said, it's not as simple as just making changes...it will change the whole dynamics of the RV...weight will be changed, perhaps causing major issues. How much weight is behind, in front and over the wheels is important, as is placement of tanks. Having engineering done to make sure it all works, would I assume, be expensive. Not doing the engineering and making sure your axles are carrying the correct load could be disastrous. Knowing upfront all the weights of cabinets, walls, counters etc would be very difficult. I would vote to sell it and purchase a unit closer to what you need...perhaps making minor changes. JMHO Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #8

Sure, why not. Might not make sense to some but make it yours!

Good luck and take a lot of pics and do share please.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLL View Post
"we don't need the bunks of our 26BHS anymore, and would like more counterspace and closet space. "

We bough a 26BH and immediately removed the bunks and turned that space into a laundry room, pantry, closet, and dressing room. We installed a Splendide washer-dryer and hooked it into the bathroom plumbing. We have more storage space than I've seen on much bigger units - way more than enough for the two of us. We added a curtain in the opening between the kitchen and the bathroom sink. That gives us a nice space to dress - much better than dressing in the tiny bathroom space! Oh, I forgot! Our back room is also a spot for our two dogs. We bought a portable crib mattress and it fits perfectly under our pantry shelves.

Would love to see some pics of your 26BH laundry room if you would be willing to share a few photos.

Cheers [emoji482]
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLL View Post
We bough a 26BH and immediately removed the bunks and turned that space into a laundry room, pantry, closet, and dressing room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke_26 View Post
Would love to see some pics of your 26BH laundry room if you would be willing to share a few photos.

ditto, we need pic of your work, sounds very interesting
pgartner is offline   Reply With Quote