Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #1

Making the RV Queen bed longer

longer bed, bed extension, longer queen, rv queen, 74" queen, 80" queen...you name it I have searched for it

Im thinking of making an extension for our RV Queen bed...Im 6'3" so its a little cramped when I decide to stretch out.

I found a thread long time ago someone cut some type of foam and put at the head of the bed but I cant find that thread anymore. So I cant remember what foam Im needing to look for. If I do that im thinking that I may have to extend the bed platform at the foot end.

I was going to use a 6" wide piece of plywood and add to the bed platform with some screws on the underside

anyone else did this and have some pictures??

final and more expensive option is to cut a new piece of plywood that is the true 80" size and upgrade to a nicer queen mattress. Haven't ruled that out yet either, but it is definitely more costly
Old 01-23-2016, 09:01 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post

final and more expensive option is to cut a new piece of plywood that is the true 80" size and upgrade to a nicer queen mattress. Haven't ruled that out yet either, but it is definitely more costly
If you want to save some coin, just cut the existing plywood bottom and stretch it. Even better, cut it into strips to provide better ventilation to avoid mildew forming. Most beds us a slat system for this very reason.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Our bed was a queen short - but our TT layout has an entertainment center at the foot and you get into bed from either side; with this layout, there was about 6-8" of unused space in length. An easy fix for was to purchase only a standard queen topper and place it on top of the factory mattress ~ it fit with a little space to spare and talk about comfy! We did no other mods to the bed and because the layout precludes sitting over these last few inches at the foot - no reinforcement was needed. An added advantage is it is still easy to access the under bed storage or to make the bed. Also quite a cost-savings because standard-sized bedding is MUCH less costly with more choices!

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

What I did to our current non-Jayco with a short queen was this:

With under bed storage, the bed platform consisted of a small fixed piece screwed to the frame, then the big piece that lifts up and the two are connected with hinges. My platform wad a sandwich of paneling and 2x2 lumber. I unscrewed the small fixed piece and slid the platform back 6" leaving a gap at the head of the bed. I then put a 2x6 in that gap with thin plywood to make it flush with the platform. Then I bought a much more comfortable full size queen mattresses to put on it! I think I had to move the gas strut mounts back too.

You could try to match the paneling, but at the head of the bed, it's completely hidden anyway so I didn't worry about it.

Was a cheap mod, except the mattress.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

Queen Bed Extension

Camping World sells a queen bed extension. Check their internet sales. I saw it just today.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy W. View Post
Camping World sells a queen bed extension. Check their internet sales. I saw it just today.
Extender and topper links as examples.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
longer bed, bed extension, longer queen, rv queen, 74" queen, 80" queen...you name it I have searched for it

Im thinking of making an extension for our RV Queen bed...Im 6'3" so its a little cramped when I decide to stretch out.

I found a thread long time ago someone cut some type of foam and put at the head of the bed but I cant find that thread anymore. So I cant remember what foam Im needing to look for. If I do that im thinking that I may have to extend the bed platform at the foot end.

I was going to use a 6" wide piece of plywood and add to the bed platform with some screws on the underside

anyone else did this and have some pictures??

Camping world now sells a 6" bed extender, made from foam. I replaced the one piece of plywood on my previous TT and got a piece of foam from a local company. Think total cost was about $30 with plywood and foam. In all honesty, you can just put anything at the top of the bed, all your doing is resting your pillow on that area. We used extra blankets rolled and placed at the head of the bed for quite a while before I got the new foam. Good luck

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Extender and topper links as examples.
X2. It was in their email flyer I got this morning.
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:59 PM   #9

Much like Hattie.

We bought a memory foam topper, from Costco, and didn't trim it. The extra length is rolled down the foot end of the mattress which happened to extend it all the way to back of our entertainment center.

Much more comfortable for me, I'm 6'1". However there is a distinct problem to point out. Our bedroom heat register is in the gap between the foot of the bed and the wall, with the mattress extended there is no longer open space for the heat to rise and when winter camping our bedroom is noticeably colder than the rest of the trailer.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #10

We had the same problem. I am a little over 6-4" and DW is about 5-10". I added a piece of plywood over the end of the existing plywood under the mattress that extends past the existing plywood 6". Make sure the new plywood overlaps the existing plywood by about 18" to 24" for strength. (That creates an overlap the thickness of the new piece of plywood - 3/8" I think is what I used - but that is no problem under the new mattress.) I screwed through the new plywood and the existing plywood into the existing 2x2 supports from factory under the existing plywood. At the foot end of the new plywood I put a 2x4 across the entire width. At the 2 corners I drilled out holes in the 2x4 the right size to fit 1" closet rod which I used for legs. When I raise the bed I grab one of the closet rod legs to hold the bed up since the lifts will not hold the extra weight. I went to the local furniture store and purchased a standard queen pillowtop mattress. What a difference in comfort! Since the foot end is so well supported we are thinking of sleeping with head at opposite end so we don't keep banging our arms on the side walls at the normal head end of the bed.
Don't have pics - camper is in storage and DW and I are south where it is warm and not white.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was a U-tube video. I copied the idea and bought a 6"x6" piece of high density foam rubber. Actually 2 pieces - each 1/2 the width of the mattress. The wife sewed a piece of upholstery fabric and covered both pieces of foam.

The bed is a walkaround - pulling the mattress down somewhat hindered the walking space. So, we only pull it down when getting into bed. No need to extend the plywood. It works quite well. In the morning we take the foam out and push the mattress back up against the wall. The foam is laid on top and its covered quite neatly by the bedspread.

All in all a cheap mod and it satisfied my long legs.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote