Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #1

Media boxes for wall mounted TV

Anyone have a clever idea for mounting AppleTV/Roku/Wd TV/BrandX small media player for your wall or ceiling mounted TVs? Where we normally camp there is no TV signal. I have a media box, and a couple thumb drives full of MP4 movies on the main TV. Wondering how I could make that work in the bedroom.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #2

I was having a similar discussion with self a while back. My solution was an inexpensive NAS drive. I have 4T of storage and the device has its own WiFi AP and I loaded the PLEX media server on it. My TV is not a smart TV (no WiFi) so I bought a ROKU stick that connects to one of the HDMI ports on the TV and is powered by one of the TV’s USB ports and loaded the PLEX client on that. The Roku connects directly to the drive. I create content from my personal DVD collection using shareware ripping apps (Handbrake and MakeMKV). The drive will serve media to up to 4 devices simultaneously tho I’ve not done that. I’ve had good luck with WD disk drives and this one is that brand too. Amazon will have many, search for network drive.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

I would suggest stick on velcro
Shokyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I was having a similar discussion with self a while back. My solution was an inexpensive NAS drive. I have 4T of storage and the device has its own WiFi AP and I loaded the PLEX media server on it. My TV is not a smart TV (no WiFi) so I bought a ROKU stick that connects to one of the HDMI ports on the TV and is powered by one of the TV’s USB ports and loaded the PLEX client on that. The Roku connects directly to the drive. I create content from my personal DVD collection using shareware ripping apps (Handbrake and MakeMKV). The drive will serve media to up to 4 devices simultaneously tho I’ve not done that. I’ve had good luck with WD disk drives and this one is that brand too. Amazon will have many, search for network drive.

Which NAS are you using that has its one AP, and PLEX? This would be awesome since it’s what I do at home(FreeNAS), and everyone is already familiar with the ROKU interface.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
BJR

For small boxes I will usually zip tie them to the arm or, as mentioned, use hook and loop tape to fasten it to the back of the monitor. Just make sure it doesn't bind in the operation of the arm or throw off the balance.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Team

I have the old V211K Sat Receiver from Dish, large in size. Nice that it has a COAX connector on the back for older TVs (located in back of TT's lower bunk) and an HDMI output (Media Center TV).

I had the receiver on a small table next to the media center, but that was a real pain. Since I have plenty of ceiling clearance (I am 6'2") I was able to buy a small pre-stained shelf from Home Depot, had them cut it to size, a small bag of L-Brackets/screws. DONE!!!

Works GREAT!! Even got DW's approval. IR remote works much better up there than on the table. I have the Amazon Fire HDMI in back of the TV, along with a Raspberry pi running KODI for my 183 movies on a HD and an Apple TV box. Will eventually program the Amazon Fire with VLC and run that through the TT's WI-Fi router to connect to the Pi (server) with the movies. Oh, and did not want to forget that Alexia gets the movies for us (Fire TV).

The TV in the rear bunk can switch between Satellite TV and CG CABLE TV when available (A/B switch)

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - Dish Sat Equipment Shelf.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Which NAS are you using that has its one AP, and PLEX? This would be awesome since it’s what I do at home(FreeNAS), and everyone is already familiar with the ROKU interface.
This is what I bought. I have a Samsung “smart tv” and find the ROKU works better, and “yes I use the PLEX server and client.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 07-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

I am intrigued by this disk you linked. I have a huge library of movies but have always just put them on a portable hard drive and plugged in to the USB on the TV. I have a Media Monkey server in my house to access it on my TV's there, but I would like to learn more about this, what software would I need to install on the HD to make it accessible to the TV's and devices in my camper? I'm tech savvy, just never have ventured in to this.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBob View Post
I am intrigued by this disk you linked. I have a huge library of movies but have always just put them on a portable hard drive and plugged in to the USB on the TV. I have a Media Monkey server in my house to access it on my TV's there, but I would like to learn more about this, what software would I need to install on the HD to make it accessible to the TV's and devices in my camper? I'm tech savvy, just never have ventured in to this.
The device comes loaded with a media server (forget the name) and offers to install PLEX during initial setup. It will connect to my local LAN and has its own AP. On the TV I use a ROKU stick connected via HDMI and USB (for power). My smart tv can load the PLEX client but doesn’t work as well as ROKU. I use share ware ripping apps (MakeMKV and Handbrake, mostly the latter) to process DVD’s, ultimately to M4V format. The disk moves from home to 5th and is on the standard packing list. I keep a backup on a portable HD. It also has an internal battery but I don’t utilize it. It normally lives connected to my USB charging brick (10 ports) at home and in the 5th and according to the manual can serve 3 clients simultaneously, tho I haven’t tried that.
There seem to be many NAS devices available similar to this, since I’ve had great results with WD over the years, I chose this one. With 4T it should be good for 1000-1500 titles. Still working on that.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B