Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #1

Mods I've made and think about.

Hi all, I'm a bit new. Well I haven't posted in 2 years. We have a 2010 Jayflight 22FB and are going to start full timing. We thought about getting a longer trailer but cannot pull anything much heavier so......

We took apart the bed, cut it in half, put it back together and covered up the side holes. We are going to be in mosquito country so I want no mosquitoes. This isn't a pretty mod but it's working and I only have access to the interior part of the under bed storage from in the trailer. The mattress covers it all up.

We put on a screen protector for the dogs on the screen door & shelves in the bathroom closet. We added cut up hanging shoe organizers to go around the bed. Tap lights in the storage areas.

I'm working on day/night shades made from black out material and sheers. And I will cover or replace the valances to match the curtains. The first window doesn't look perfect but it's not bad.

We plan to add another battery, plastic on the screen door to make it a storm door, replace the curtain to the bedroom and hopefully replace the kitchen sink faucet.

It will be us two adults, 3 medium dogs and 3 parrots. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit the parrots in yet but I'll figure it out.

I'll post pictures next week when we bring it home to work on it some more!
Simon - Citron crested "Too"
Alliecaet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

I am looking forward to the photos.. post your birds too!

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #3

Agree'd sounds like some interesting mods....and traveling companions!

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #4

I can't help myself...........POLLY WANT A CAMPER ? !.......... I know,I know. I just had to say it! Wish you all the best on your full time adventure, keep us informed.
STELLARJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

I'm still working on it, but here's the web page that the pictures are going onto.
http://brokeandgoing.weebly.com/modifications.html
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

I have to admit that when you first posted, I didn't understand what you were talking about but now I see. Good idea!

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #7

Thanks, I'm glad you got it. No one else knew what I was talking about either and when I told hubby "cut the bed in half" he didn't want to!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:53 AM   #8

Alley caet and Tom , hmm,where to begin? I will start with my wife's thought. " I wouldn't want to camp next to them at a campsite " , well ok, you might not want to camp next to us for that matter. I on the other hand would love to camp next to you. I have never met an animal lover I didn't like. With all due respect I'd love to know what possed you to think its a good idea to move into a 22 foot box with 3 dogs and three parrots.Even with everyone getting along, I'd be concerned about health issues with everyone living in such close quarters. Have you thought of getting a canopy for your truck and creating a comfy place for your dogs.. I understand finances can limit us in doing what we want but I think you have to consider the welfare of all the inhabitants. Good luck!
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #9

Well...... We don't spend a lot of time in the camper except to eat and sleep. The dogs are the reason we started camping in the first place so we take them out to run. Then they hang out (on leashes) under the awning. If they become a nuisance then we bring them in. There is only one dog that prefers to hang out in the Trailer. One other does bark but we are working on that and if she barks, she goes into the trailer. The last one is a wonderful dog. LOL no barking or anything. The birds have harnesses and hang out on a set up bird stand outside. Again, the Too makes some noise around 1pm every day. The amazon will chitter and not yell often, he just calls to me. The last one, you would never even know she is there. It will be a bit tight in the trailer at night but one of the birds is used to traveling. We seriously considered giving up one or both of the larger birds. But, when we got them they were both bare with almost no feathers. Now they have feathers and no longer pluck. So we did consider the health and well being of all the animals. The dogs actually sleep on the J couch. The birds cages will be in the shower area. Idealy a bunk house would have been perfect but we can't tow one and can't afford it right now. I can see where you're wife is coming from. Reading what I have to say I may not want to camp next to me either. But people that we have camped near are surprised that we aren't as bad as you'd think. We see the look of dread as we set up. And many comment on how well behaved the "kids" all are. We are considerate pet owners and campers. We always clean up behind the dogs. I have a tablecloth that goes under the birds to catch anything they may drop when outside. Also, as they "go" they will not be replaced. We will end up eventually with only 1 dog and 1 parrot.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #10

Thank-you for your thoughtful and informative reply. Being from Canada I forget there are areas that don't require you to be inside during certain times of the year. You sound like great pet owners. We have a 20year old cat that follows me everywhere and a rabbit that my daughter saved from someone's dinner plate. I hope things work out for you and have a great summer camping.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #11

Thanks. We didn't plan to live in an RV When we got the animals. We have a big house, plenty of room for them. But Life happens.