Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #21

While some of my recent mods were simple add-ons, like Camco water filter and hose elbow, 30TT circuit analyzer/surge protector, and clear waste hose fittings, my latest is a bolt-on Camco vent cover over the bath ceiling vent. I can use my Vortex exhaust fan without worrying about the weather and thus minimize A/C usage. Now if anything happens to the ceiling vent, I cannot blame Jayco because I added the fan and vent cover. But that should not affect the warranty on other things I have not changed.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 PM   #22

This year, so far, I have installed a Marinco 30 amp conversion to replace the mouse hole for the power cable and added a Winegard Wingman to my TV antenna. And I have a Champion generator. Now, I have completed my biggest project yet on my SLX 145RB: installing a shower surround. It made no sense to me for the wetted shower walls to be the same 1/8" luan plywood as the rest of the trailer. Jayco saves 5 lbs and $100 by not including a plastic shower surround in their Jay Flight SLX series as in bigger trailers.
I am finally ready for camping season!
Old 05-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #23

Dinette to bed

Well, I thought we were ready for the new season.

Remember that the smaller SLX series trailers (145, 154, 184) do not have separate beds, so you must drop the table and spread out the dinette cushions if you want to sleep, even if there are only two of you. DW was never comfortable sleeping on the thin Jayco seat cushions, although an additional mattress pad helped some. So I ordered a Millard tri-fold 6 inch full size mattress from Amazon. She finds the 6 inch foam to be far superior to the original cushions. The 52" width is perfect to fit the flattened dinette, and now DW wants to separate the three mattress sections and re-upholster them to make them into seat cushions to replace the thin ones.

Sounds like she is catching the mod bug from me. She is finally getting excited about the new season, too.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:15 AM   #24

HOMER,
I just bought a 145RB BAJA and have planned on doing many of the mods you have done. Of course I avoided the wheel/tire issue by buying the BAJA edition.
I have a couple of questions about your mods in order to facilitate my additions.
Can you tell me exactly how you installed the tub surround? I have no experience with doing anything like this.
Also, how did you get power from the light to the Vortex fan? Surface mount the wire?
I appreciate your help!
upstater49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #25

Homer,

I have to commend you for even looking at the tire ratings and TT rated weight. You would be surprised how many people are oblivious of weight they are hauling verses what your tow vehicle and trailer can handle.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstater49 View Post
HOMER,

Can you tell me exactly how you installed the tub surround? I have no experience with doing anything like this.
Also, how did you get power from the light to the Vortex fan? Surface mount the wire?
I appreciate your help!
The tub surround that I found on Amazon was just a vacuum-formed plastic shell made for RV use. They come in various sizes, so measure carefully before ordering. After I removed the tub trim and caulked the top of the tub to the wall, I trimmed the height of the surround and mounted it directly to the paneling with plastic rivets that expand in the hole when you hammer the center pin. I probably used more than enough fasteners; I always do. I found other posts on this site that said NOT to caulk the bottom of the surround to allow the walls to breathe.

The bathroom vent is mere inches from the ceiling light that is always hot. When I removed the screen frame to insert the new fan, I could see into the ceiling framing. i loosened the light and let it hang, then fished two wires in the ceiling from the light to the vent so nothing shows. Some 3M wire connectors completed the 12 volt connections, and I put everything back together. Since the light is always hot, the fan can be operated independently from the light. My only regret is buying the noisy 1-speed Vortex fan instead of the more expensive model with additional slower/quieter speeds. It really pulls the warm air out.

I trust that was enough detail for you. None of that work was too difficult. And now DW is almost done fitting homemade upholstery to the three 6-inch mattress pads that will replace the original 4-inch seats to make both sitting and sleeping more comfortable for us.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #27

Homersimpson,
I really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions. I understand everything you explained, with one exception. How the heck do you remove the light fixtures in this trailer? Just turn the lens, turn the whole fixture, pull down? I don't want to start my mods out by breaking something before I even get started!
Thanks again for your help!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:39 AM   #28

The light fixture is held in place by a couple of screws. To get to the screws, pop off the lenses. Do not pull the whole fixture, as the screws are only fastened to the thin paneling, and pulling can enlarge the screw holes.

No reason to disconnect the wiring if you use the 3M connectors. Just stuff it all back into the ceiling and replace the screws to remount the light fixture.

Note that the Vortex replaces the center of the existing vent. No need to remove the vent frame or lid, so the roof seal is not affected.

Good luck. You will appreciate the new fan.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #29

"Popping off the lens" is the part I'm concerned about. Is it held in place by tabs? Do I just put in a small screwdriver and pop it off? Do I need to turn the lens CCW?
Old 06-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #30

Your CCW comment makes me wonder if our light fixtures are the same. Mine is a white oval with a smaller oval lens and switch on one end. There is one small tab on either long side of the lens. A small screwdriver or pocket knife tip is all that you need to loosen one of the tabs.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:25 PM   #31

Hmmm. All of my lights are round.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #32

I could be wrong, but I'd bet on tabs. A threaded lens and fixture would cost more to manufacture. Your decision now.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #33

Homer, nice mods.

Now that you have modded, and presumably loaded for camp, have you run it over the CAT scale recently?
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #34

Yes, I weighed it last month before our first trip.
Steer axle. 2420#
Drive axle. 2440#
Trailer axle. 2320#
The trailer axle is 300# less than the Load Range C tires are rated for and 680# less than the axle rating. With such low weights, I chose not to reweigh at the time and calculate the tongue weight, but now I wish I had done it just for the info. Trailer was loaded with gear, and tanks were dry for travel.

Tags
145rb, warranty