Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2015, 11:55 PM   #1

Mods vs. warranty

I just got my new SLX 145RB, and I already have ideas for many mods. By the way, I have reviewed all of the threads in the Jayco Mods forum and added to my to-do list. First, my wife has difficulty climbing into our trailer, so I intend to replace the single step with a twin step. Second, I want to separate the under bench storage into one section for inside access and another for outside access only. Third, I would replace the thin plywood under the seat cushions with thicker plywood, then reuse the thin wood to line the storage area(s) against shifting cargo. An extra AC outlet and a dedicated USB charger outlet would be nice. I really want to install a tub surround before water ruins the exposed wall panels. And what is in the wasted space under the furnace? My question is: How much of this would void my 2-year warranty?

Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum Homersimpson. With a good dealer or service place, you'll probably be fine with all you mentioned. I've welded receiver hitches under several of ours, done electrical mods and all kinds of other stuff. If you have a good dealer, they make money off of the warranty work and will look over stuff (ignore the mods), at least in our case they always did. Heck I've even had a dealer claim warranty on stuff, send the parts to my house for me to fix, and them claim the time. That made it easier on me as I didn't have to tow the thing in. A win win for both of us. Every dealer / service place is different. If dealing directly with Jayco, you might get varying results. I think as long as your not modifying major structure, you'll be fine.

We've mostly ignored warranty and what will void it since we pretty much do all of our own repairs, better than any dealer (saves us time and money doing it in our own shop). Most things that will break have their own warranty anyway, like the fridge, furnace, AC, etc. You can deal with the OEM of each piece in that case if need be.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #3

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. In a nutshell, a manufacturer or its representative can't void a warranty just by the presence of a modification or aftermarket parts unless it can be demonstrated the changes were the cause of the failure. That doesn't mean a manufacturer or dealer won't try to do that but, at least, you would have the law on your side when you fight it.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

Thank you. I needed to hear both of those viewpoints before starting.

And I forgot to mention replacing the 13-inch wheels with 14-inch if they will fit.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersimpson View Post
Thank you. I needed to hear both of those viewpoints before starting.

And I forgot to mention replacing the 13-inch wheels with 14-inch if they will fit.
That could present a problem. Increasing the outer diameter could cause the tire to hit and damage the wheel well and would not be covered under warranty.
DHH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:

I'm curious to know what problem you are trying to fix by putting 14" tires on?
Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

The ST175/80R13 LRC tires are rated at 1360# each, or 2720# for two. The GVWR of the 145RB is 2950#. I know the argument that the tongue weight is 230#, but that leaves no margin for shifting load center, etc.

On the other hand, the ST205/75R14 LRC tires are rated at 1760# each, or 3520# for two. Where I work, "defense in depth" is a virtue. So if they fit in the fenders, the tire rating over the GVWR would ease my mind on the road.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #8

I have read several posts on this board about wheel and tire size changes.
The wheel well size issue can be solved by performing what is generally called an axle flip. There are pros & cons about the idea. The Jayco Baja SLX models have truck tires from the factory.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
The ST175/80R13 LRC tires are rated at 1360# each, or 2720# for two. The GVWR of the 145RB is 2950#. I know the argument that the tongue weight is 230#, but that leaves no margin for shifting load center, etc.

On the other hand, the ST205/75R14 LRC tires are rated at 1760# each, or 3520# for two. Where I work, "defense in depth" is a virtue. So if they fit in the fenders, the tire rating over the GVWR would ease my mind on the road.
If you do this, keep in mind that the axle ratings stay the same and will still be the limiting factor. There is a stamping somewhere on the axle that tells you what it is. I don't want to see you having false sense of security just by putting tires on with a higher load rating.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

Please do not misunderstand. I am not trying to increase the TT capacity by swapping tires. I just want some peace of mind. No one has ever had an axle sidewall blowout or an axle tread separated.

I have a solid steel axle rated at 3000# bolted to two Chinese rubber tires rated at 2720# on a TT with a GVWR at 2950#. The tires are the weakest link.

14 inch tires have a 1" larger overall radius than the 13 inch tires that have 4" clearance at rest. Does anybody know whether 3" clearance is enough?

Tags
145rb, warranty