Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Mods
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

MORryde Step-Above Entry Steps - Beware the slick spot!

I have a brand new beautiful Jayco North Point and I absolutely love the new MORryde Step-Above Entry Steps. I did a mod this morning after a surprise discovery and wanted to ensure everyone who has these steps is aware of the modification. The metal threshold has two strips of slip resistant tape that run almost the entire width of the threshold. Somehow I managed to get the heel of my tennis shoe on the part that doesn't have the tape and I took a spill that was right out of a Roadrunner cartoon. Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, thud!

I went to Lowe's and bought some 3M Saftey Tape and filled in the ends on both sides.

If your wondering, I'm 53 and although the fall hurt a little bit it made me feel pretty good that I could still take that hard a fall and walk away.
Fixentwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #2

Got a pic where you put it? I just installed these steps and thought putting another parallel to the front one.
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Here are some before and after photos. Notice on the one without the tape you can see where my shoes slipped on the metal. Won't slip anymore!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2498.JPG   IMG_2499.JPG   IMG_2504.JPG   IMG_2505.JPG  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #4

I see you added above the threshold. Did you add to steps also?
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the warning and glad you’re ok. I bought some tape for that very spot last fall and now I want to get it in place sooner rather than later. If only the nor’easters would stop...
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #6

I didn't add anything to the steps.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:54 PM   #7

Pardon my ignorance... what is the benefit of doing this mod vs. having the standard steps? One of the disadvantages I could think of is that you need to clear the steps before departure, as otherwise all the dirt would land on you TT floor. Correct?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:30 PM   #8

I should have been a little clearer about my steps, they came with the RV stock. The mod was just the little bit of extra anti-slip tape.

In regards to your question about the dirt and such coming into the camper; for what we do it doesn't seem to be that big a problem. I plan on adding a hand broom to my quick access stuff in my truck while traveling. Other than that, we don't usually get mud on our steps. I can see where other situations might be alot different than ours though and in that case the old steps would be better for dealing with dirt.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:18 AM   #9

Another advantage of the steps are that they are rock solid - No bounce going up and down them. However, if you have to put your camper in tight storage, you may not have room to swing steps out and would need to pull the trailer forward to gain access.
Jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:38 PM   #10

How do they do with uneven ground. Does the adjustable feet make up for uneven ground?

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:05 PM   #11

I haven't used them much but I have used the adjustable feet and they seemed pretty easy to work with and both sides adjust independently. One thing I haven't seen mentioned that my dealer showed me was to always make sure your door is all the way open before you drop them out. They can snag you screen if the door is not opened all the way.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #12

Fixentwo, thanks for the tip, I will make sure this gets done. We just purchased a 315 North Point and it is scheduled to be shipped April 27, at this point not sure if it will be an 18 or 19. How are you enjoying your new 315 any issues?
Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #13

Real, glad to hear someone else is a fan of the 315. We love ours and so far haven't found any major issues. This is our second Jayco and I am impressed with the build quality and design. I had some reservations about quality based on some stock units for sale on RV One's lot in Tampa. Mine seems to have been punched out much better by the dealer I bought from. Jayco did a nice job!

I have found a couple pin holes in the roof caulk yesterday. In my experience with three campers that is normal and I will be fixing as soon as I can get some beige caulk from General or Camping World down the street. I also found some daylight coming through the underbody trim in the basement area under the bathroom area. This provides a straight path into the coach for mice and insects. Not sure what to do with that one but I will figure it out.

One other thing I am scratching my head about is the power requirements of the converter (due to the Residential Frig) and the difference that makes for my little Honda 2000. I have to turn the converter off to use the microwave with the generator which is new to me. I think I'm going to get a Champion 3400 dual fuel to replace the Honda instead of buying another Honda. Big questions there though and this thread not the place to go there.

Steps are great by the way and I think I will research the handrail that attaches to the stringer. Noticed the pre-set attachment holes yesterday. I think there is enough room for it to fit in the coach when up. Will see.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #14

Thanks for the solution.We have the same steps but ours is also a new one so the steps have not been used much. I will be getting some of that tape and a small broom to keep handy
Meadowlark paint
Iraq 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #15

Thanks for the reply Fixentwo, if you find a fix for the daylight coming from the under body trim i would be interested in knowing how you repaired it.
I did not order the residential fridge, I went with the 2 way fridge.
I just received my Firmam WO3081 Inverter Generator that I ordered from Costco.ca 3300 starting watts 3000 running watts from hopefully this will work.
Real is offline   Reply With Quote