Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2023, 08:02 PM   #1

Mounted Hughes Autoformer in Storage Bay

I only had to use an autoformer one time in 7 years in my old 30Amp Class C, but it saved a vacation. (Power hovered around 100vac at an Idaho campsite.) So I decided to install my new 50A Hughes Autoformer in the rig as a "permanent fixture." Kinda like a battery mounting......but with wood and all thread rod. Not for everyone, of course; but I wouldn't be without one. Click the pic to enlarge.

Best...........
Attached Thumbnails
Hughes Installation.jpg  
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:57 PM   #2

Do you leave it in-line all of the time? Or do you bypass it when it's not needed?
Old 02-09-2023, 02:59 PM   #3

I installed mine when I couldn't run my AC at a campground at a Washington KOA. Had to run my generator there as the voltage dropped to 100. My Hughes autoformer is semi-permanently installed. They don't come on line until the voltage drops to about 115VAC.
Old 02-09-2023, 03:12 PM   #4

My intent is to use it all the time ...... but we shall see. I called Hughes tech support to discuss this and they said that they would use it always. They said there is only one "moving part" involved and it is a relay that activates when the voltage drops to 109 (IIRC). So if the voltage drops while I am away, the unit is supposed to do its 10 percent boost thing.

It has built-in surge protection but if it gets zapped (or as they term it "used up") a new surge assy can be easily installed by the owner with just a phillips screwdriver ......... they say. IIRC the new surge assy is about $30 or $40. I plan to order one of these to have on board.

The unit also checks that power is OK to plug in but I intend to do that with a separate checker there at the pedestal before plugging in.

I have read on other forums that many use it this way although a few only bring the autoformer online when needed so as not to "wear it out".

If my approach doesn't work out, I will sure post with any issues.

Good times and safe travels, all.

Edit: I was typing and missed Don's post. Same with me. Voltage was bopping around at about 100v at an Idaho campsite. Many came in, ckd the pedestal and then left but where to?.....all sites in the area were filled up. My daughter and kids were there 3 days and the voltage with the Hughes on line was in the 110v range....not great but OK. I believe air conditioners and other inductive loads $uffer damage below 106?
Toad: 2016 Kia Soul w/6-spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:52 PM   #5

I mounted my Hughes Autoformer also, accept I used the mounting bracket they make for it. you can buy them on Amazon.

Click For Full-Size Image.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:55 PM   #6

$37 mounting bracket:

https://www.amazon.com/Hughes-Autofo...s%2C161&sr=8-4

Hardwire plug kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Hughes-Perfor...s%2C161&sr=8-1

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:21 PM   #7

Mine is semi hard wired, left in at all times but can be removed if I change trailer.
PaulB12
PaulB12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youracman View Post
They said there is only one "moving part" involved and it is a relay that activates when the voltage drops to 109 (IIRC).
Sad to say, my "moving part" stuck in the activated position and was boosting power when it wasn't supposed to. I was getting cut off by my EMS when voltage was going above 132v or something like that. I had to send mine back for repair.

You're right about having it- it's rare when you need it, but dang if it isn't nice to have when you do!