Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2018, 05:11 AM   #21
Site Team

If that is the one with the expanding width, I put the same one on a previous rig. The welding shop welded the adjustable width part in place once it was mounted.

It was not attached to the bumper at all.

This is the one I used. It was not bolted on but welded.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...35-946403.html
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If that is the one with the expanding width, I put the same one on a previous rig. The welding shop welded the adjustable width part in place once it was mounted.

It was not attached to the bumper at all.
Yes it is expandable. I like it for the fact it’s completely separate from the bumper.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Would you have a picture of your setup? I currently have the BAKflip tri-fold cover and trying to find a way to mount the bikes onto that.
I use SeaSuckers on my car. If the tonneau cover is smooth, I don’t see why they wouldn’t work. I’ve never lost a bike.

https://www.seasucker.com
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by damammel View Post
Yes it is expandable. I like it for the fact it’s completely separate from the bumper.
This is what I plan to do, but the weld on version. Then I'll tie a couple more supports in to the frame to eliminate the leverage issue with the bike rack.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #25

Ibra,

What year is your 28 BHBE? Is there a set of “tabs” welded to the bottom of the frame, near the rear? If so, Jayco has an optional rear cargo hitch that bolts to those “tabs”. Rated for 300lbs. Just make sure to get a bike rack rated for the back of an rv.

Scroll down on my mods thread for pics of the rear cargo hitch that I added to our 32 BHDS.

Not sure when your trip is, so hopefully you have time to order the cargo hitch if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #26

On my Jayco I got Safety Struts from Mount-N-Lock. They go around the bumper and screw into the frame. Then I also bought a hitch from them and carried my bike back there, Never bounced at all. Google Mount-N-Lock and you can read up on them.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #27

Thanks I will have a look, had a look at a A frame 2 inch receiver, the price isn't that bad as I already have a bike rack for it. What you guys think about this? I have about 300 of payload available after fully loaded.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...on/CC-275.htmlClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180519-132609.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	39844
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #28

Did you have to drill into the frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
On my Jayco I got Safety Struts from Mount-N-Lock. They go around the bumper and screw into the frame. Then I also bought a hitch from them and carried my bike back there, Never bounced at all. Google Mount-N-Lock and you can read up on them.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #29

Just noticed mine had these welded onto the frame and I assume that's where I mount the mount-n-lock

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_133042.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	39845
Old 05-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Just noticed mine had these welded onto the frame and I assume that's where I mount the mount-n-lock

Attachment 39845

Yes, order the rear hitch, bolts, washers and nuts from your local Jayco dealer. HOWEVER be aware that this may cause your spare tire to no longer fit on the holder. That is the problem I had with with my 28 bhbe, hitch and Swagman bicycle rack (platform model). I'm still looking at options for my spare. Currently carrying it in th PU bed, but looking to get it back on the trailer...
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Did you have to drill into the frame?
Yes the safety struts haver4 holes cut into them and you drill into the frame then they also give you selftapping screws. Bumper will not go anyplace
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:45 PM   #32

As I mentioned, those “tabs” on the bottom of the frame are for the factory Jayco rear cargo hitch. Follow the link in my quoted post and scroll down on page 1 for pics of the cargo hitch.

Quote:

Attachment 39845
Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Ibra,

What year is your 28 BHBE? Is there a set of “tabs” welded to the bottom of the frame, near the rear? If so, Jayco has an optional rear cargo hitch that bolts to those “tabs”. Rated for 300lbs. Just make sure to get a bike rack rated for the back of an rv.

Scroll down on my mods thread for pics of the rear cargo hitch that I added to our 32 BHDS.

Not sure when your trip is, so hopefully you have time to order the cargo hitch if you decide to go that route.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #33

We had ours on the bumper. then one day when we got home i noticed the bikes and spare tire were leaning at about 45 degree angle. the metal bumper had split on both sides. good thing it did not break off and end up in the road. so i laser cut some steel plates in the machine shop that i work in and welded the plates to the top and bottom of the bumper and to the frame now it is super strong bikes are not going anywhere now, so i thought. two years ago while heading home we were at a red light and someone pulled up next to us and said the bikes are in the road, thought the guy was messing with us. we pulled to the side if road and much to my surprise the bikes were gone the only thing left on the bumper was spare tire and the rest of broken bike rack. the bike rack snapped off about 4" above the mounting bracket on the bike rack post. so we turned round and saw them laying on the side of the road with the rest of the rack still attached. we picked them up and turning them into scrap metal. now we have new bikes and a rack, but put the bikes in the back of the truck and the empty bike rack is on back of trailer when traveling

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 AM   #34

There are some bike racks RV rated. I am not using one of those. I am using fairly simple Allen Rack. Some racks are more complicated that the other.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #35

Wow thanks for the information
Quote:
Originally Posted by edowsfamily View Post
We had ours on the bumper. then one day when we got home i noticed the bikes and spare tire were leaning at about 45 degree angle. the metal bumper had split on both sides. good thing it did not break off and end up in the road. so i laser cut some steel plates in the machine shop that i work in and welded the plates to the top and bottom of the bumper and to the frame now it is super strong bikes are not going anywhere now, so i thought. two years ago while heading home we were at a red light and someone pulled up next to us and said the bikes are in the road, thought the guy was messing with us. we pulled to the side if road and much to my surprise the bikes were gone the only thing left on the bumper was spare tire and the rest of broken bike rack. the bike rack snapped off about 4" above the mounting bracket on the bike rack post. so we turned round and saw them laying on the side of the road with the rest of the rack still attached. we picked them up and turning them into scrap metal. now we have new bikes and a rack, but put the bikes in the back of the truck and the empty bike rack is on back of trailer when traveling
Old 05-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Did you just get a 2 inch hitch receiver from them that bolts onto the bumper?
Old 05-23-2018, 03:14 AM   #37

if i did this correct here are the rear bumper pics
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0357.jpg   IMG_0358.jpg  

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:13 AM   #38

I came across this product, https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...rt/C18013.html

I wonder if I would have enough clearance space at the tongue to for two bikes.

Anybody tried these before, seems a reasonable price.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:08 AM   #39

After much research and debate (including Mount-N-Lock products), we went with a Jack It (fabricated by Let's Go Aero for Lippert). It's okay, but not ideal. We turn it 180 so the bikes hang out over the tongue towards the tailgate; this makes it much easier to load the bikes while standing on the tailgate. Loading and unloading the bikes is less than ideal for us, but it works for now. Our next unit will have a factory receiver and rearview camera.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
As I mentioned, those “tabs” on the bottom of the frame are for the factory Jayco rear cargo hitch. Follow the link in my quoted post and scroll down on page 1 for pics of the cargo hitch.

Those tabs are awesome! How do I figure out if mine has those? I haven't received my camper yet. 2018 Whitehawk 29BH. I will do back flips if it has these.
Uh Oh Better Get Jayco is offline   Reply With Quote