Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 AM   #1

mounting bikes on the TT rear bumper

Wondering what have people done in regards to mounting there bikes on their trailer? We are going away for 3 weeks and I really want to bring the bikes. I have a bike rack and looking to purchase a rv bumper hitch to mount it at the back of my rv. What is the rating of the rear bumper? I have my spare tire there and I dont want to overload the bumper. Trailer is a jayco 28bhbe.

Thanks
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #2

Your owner's manual probably says "no bike rack". It's not the weight but the cantilevered bouncing that starts twisting the bumper.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #3

I have to say from experience and with a friends also, don’t use one of the ones that are U-Bolt to the bumper.

There is too much flex in that bumper to hold it securely. Mine ended up punching a hole, the size of a handle grip. . Needless to say the bikes got thrown in the bed of the truck on the way home.

My buddies bumper actually broke a weld to the frame.

If it is something you are going to do a lot, invest in an actual receiver that mounts to the frame, not the bumper. Trust me when I say, it will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibra0078 View Post
Wondering what have people done in regards to mounting there bikes on their trailer? We are going away for 3 weeks and I really want to bring the bikes. I have a bike rack and looking to purchase a rv bumper hitch to mount it at the back of my rv. What is the rating of the rear bumper? I have my spare tire there and I dont want to overload the bumper. Trailer is a jayco 28bhbe.

Thanks
Ibra, I believe if you check the specifications limitations on that rear bumper & hitch you will see that it can only support a couple hundred pounds. I would suggest you look into braces from the frame to support the bumper if you are intent on using the rear for hauling the bikes. I lost a TT bumper, sewer hose, spare tire and 4 bikes back in the early 1990's off my 1981 Jayraven TT. I now carry the bikes in the back of my TV, but if I had to transport more than 3, I would look at a front TV hitch or an over the propane tanks style hitch. Search etrailer.com to see what is available for you.

Good Camping
Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:37 AM   #5

I was thinking the same that the bumper frame is not strong enough, what about a bike rack over the front hitch or even over the truck bed?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #6

Makes you wonder if a OEM spare tire carrier on the rear bumper is a bad thing don't it??
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
Makes you wonder if a OEM spare tire carrier on the rear bumper is a bad thing don't it??
The spare tire doesn’t have the torque out beyond the bumper.

If there was a way to minimize the movement and transfer the weight behind the bumper it would help but the bumper just wasn’t made for that much twisting force.

I ran a Thule system above my bed on my avalanche and loved it. That is a great option.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
The spare tire doesn’t have the torque out beyond the bumper.

If there was a way to minimize the movement and transfer the weight behind the bumper it would help but the bumper just wasn’t made for that much twisting force.

I ran a Thule system above my bed on my avalanche and loved it. That is a great option.
Would you have a picture of your setup? I currently have the BAKflip tri-fold cover and trying to find a way to mount the bikes onto that.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Would you have a picture of your setup? I currently have the BAKflip tri-fold cover and trying to find a way to mount the bikes onto that.

Unfortunately I do not. You should be able to get the adapter to mount it in your stake holes and still allow some minimal access or just needing to remove the rear cross bar. I think.

I had the removable panels is I just lifted the up and slid them out the back.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Your owner's manual probably says "no bike rack". It's not the weight but the cantilevered bouncing that starts twisting the bumper.
Very true... I would guess from what little I remember from Physics class, putting (2) 50 lb bikes out there on what amounts to a 24" lever, would put several hundred pounds of twisting force on the bumper.

What I did on my last TT was sit my bike in between the spare tire and the rear wall and bungee cord my bike wheels to the top of the bumper and spare tire. I did have to loosen my handlebars and turn them sideways to make sure they wouldn't rub the siding.

Not enough room to do that on my 195rb. So, I removed the spare tire & carrier. I carry the spare in the back of my truck. Then I installed a u-bolt type receiver and my regular bike rack on the back. I figure 1 bike up close to the bumper strapped tight so it can't bounce around will be ok. Time will tell!
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
AFAIK the max weight you can safely put on those rear bumper tubes is 100 lb. You're already most of the way there with your spare tire, so it's time to look for alternatives. There are some real scary pictures out there showing what happens when you overload that bumper tube.

Alternatives:
There are bike carrier mounts that go over the front frame of the trailer.
Think about something mounted above the bed of the trailer.
And there are some options for putting bikes up in front of your truck.

Whatever you do, DON'T carry bikes mounted to your trailer's bumper tube!

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #12

I am using this. I've never heard about any accidents, if safety struts were in place. If anybody has any real life stories to share, I would be happy to educate myself.

https://www.amazon.com/SafetyStruts-.../dp/B00JASCNEE
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #13

I asked Jayco, and they said the maximum weight load on the rear bumper for my 19XUD was 100 pounds,,, and the spare wheel probably eats up 30 or 40 of that.

They wouldn't be drawn on the idea of bolting something to the "dumb-irons" at the rear of the frame - the bits that the bumper is attached to. They retreated to the "It will void your warranty" defence, Which, I have come to learn, is Jayco-speak for "I don't know"

I think it's back to a roof-rack on the Jeep

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #14

Void warranty for what? For the whole trailer?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #15

Never let any company bully you into thinking modifying or mistreating 1 part is going to void your whole warranty. The law is on your side. Been proven many times.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #16

I guess bike rack on-top of the bed it is lol
Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #17

I'm planning to over engineer a hitch to the frame with triangulation for the back of my TT and my bike rack It's a hitch mounted rack but it's going to result in a more or less permanent installation when I am done.

Probably doesn't help though as it is going to require cutting and welding...
Old 05-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Void warranty for what? For the whole trailer?
They're very careful not to specify... letting you imagine the worst.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #19

search my post 2017 x23b bike rack . this is the second time I've built one. Worked great on our first TT and lasted for years. Sold the TT with the bike rake, so I made this one to fit the new TT.
WisconsinCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #20

I have a 287 bhsw that I added a Curt rv hitch to. It was a good amount of work to make it fit because of the bumper mounts. I cut 2” off the bumper mounts and notched the frame brackets so the hitch would clear the back bumper. I also used some of the extra bolts to support the bumper because of the material I removed. The back rack upright is only 1/2” from the bumper. I’ve had four bikes on the rack and it is very solid and I don’t worry about loosing the bikes on the road.

As a side note I think the hitch has gone up in price since when I bought it.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...urt/13703.html
]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Swagman-T...roved/50402953
Attached Thumbnails
9CF27B5E-8663-478A-8AD7-3A7340CDE338.jpg   69368BA1-256B-4C4C-B318-4D50BE41CFF4.jpg   F6A58407-9019-43BE-968A-6E0DDEEF7A07.jpg  
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote