Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #1

Moving the grill quick-connect?

Like a lot of others, the quick-connect for the propane gill on our trailer is under the rear bumper. The dealer told us when we bought the trailer that they don't offer the bumper-mounted grill as an option because the grills themselves aren't very good -- after using a RVQ for 10 years, I tend to agree. But they would order one if the buyer really wanted one. We passed on it.

We have a Weber Q1000 which I modded to be able to use the trailer's propane system, and it works great. Except that the 10' extension hose isn't long enough. Instead of buying another hose, or a longer one, I was just wondering has anyone moved the quick-connect from where it's mounted on the frame to some place closer to the middle of the trailer? From just looking under, it appears that the quick-connect bracket is just screwed into the frame:

And there's three or four feet of hose on the other end of the quick-connect before it goes into the next fitting. Just curious if anyone has done this.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post
Like a lot of others, the quick-connect for the propane gill on our trailer is under the rear bumper. The dealer told us when we bought the trailer that they don't offer the bumper-mounted grill as an option because the grills themselves aren't very good -- after using a RVQ for 10 years, I tend to agree. But they would order one if the buyer really wanted one. We passed on it.

We have a Weber Q1000 which I modded to be able to use the trailer's propane system, and it works great. Except that the 10' extension hose isn't long enough. Instead of buying another hose, or a longer one, I was just wondering has anyone moved the quick-connect from where it's mounted on the frame to some place closer to the middle of the trailer? From just looking under, it appears that the quick-connect bracket is just screwed into the frame:

And there's three or four feet of hose on the other end of the quick-connect before it goes into the next fitting. Just curious if anyone has done this.
Hi Geoff

We also have a 24FBS. I am in the process of moving ours. If you look underneath you should see a junction where 3 other propane hoses tie into. I have ordered a longer hose and I am going to relocate the quick connect just in front of the stairs. I was going to move it to the side in back of the wheels. Then I started to think about a tire blowout taking out the QC. So to answer your question, yes you can move it. But where you decide to move it may require some extra work and parts.

Good luck and enjoy that 24FBS!!

Mark
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

I had thought about moving mine as well but found buying another 10' hose was an easier option. No issues as with 20' of hose I can now place my Webber 2000 under the awning if it is raining.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL1967 View Post
I had thought about moving mine as well but found buying another 10' hose was an easier option. No issues as with 20' of hose I can now place my Webber 2000 under the awning if it is raining.
Yep, that works too!
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. I'll have to look at my options. If buying another 10' hose ends up being the cheapest option, that's what I'll go with. Just poking around under the trailer, mounting the quick-connect just behind the rear wheel appears to be the easiest thing, but as Mark said, it's pretty risky if there's a blowout. Plus, it will catch all sorts of spray and road grime. The gunk you see on the underside of my trailer is from towing in the rain once.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

Ours is factory mounted about a foot behind the rear wheel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of 49° View Post

You can easily find a company near you that supplies propane tanks of the large variety that will make you a hose of any length. I had a 15' hose made for our RV. I did bring the male connector for the hose to assure it fits the female quick connector that is on the RV.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote