Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2021, 08:08 PM   #1

My 242BHSW Mods

We just upgraded from a 174BH to a brand new 242BHSW. For the last couple of years, we have been thinking about things that we would have liked to have on the 174, but didn't do them because we were planning the upgrade.

Now, I do have to say that none of what I'm doing is original, 90% of it is stuff I have seen on these forums over the past couple of years. I'm sorry I didn't track who to credit the ideas to!

This week's work:
  • Paper Towel Holder
  • Camco brace on screen door
  • Hitch storage on tongue
  • Slide out drawer in pass through

I tried to pace myself this week, I will also be adding more shelves to the pantry and upper cabinets, but haven't stained them yet so no photos. Also on the tick list for this week is to re-hang the bedroom sliding doors as they were both in with 1 screw per roller and fell out during the drive home. Not quite worth it to me to drive to the dealer to have fixed under warranty.

Note that I did plan for the weight of the drawer along with our typical camping kit, so I don't think I'd recommend that one for everyone as it is most of a sheet of plywood, plust 2 2x4's, so it's not light. The perimeter edge is all glued and screwed for strength. The internal dividers are just screwed from the sides only so that I can easily move them as equipment storage needs change. I threw a few lengths of board cut to the right width underneath so that I don't misplace it. (It's also scrap wood, hence the paint drips and such on it.)

The WD hitch bars will be going under the tongue eventually, and once they do, my camp BBQ will fit in that compartment standing on edge.

Anyways, here's some photos, appreciate any feedback and further ideas!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5137.jpg   IMG_5142.jpg   IMG_5143.jpg   IMG_5145.jpg   IMG_5144.jpg  

IMG_5147.jpg  
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #2

That sliding drawer is a neat idea. Sure makes it easy to get to stuff in the pass through. Everything I want to get out is always in the exact geographic center of the pass through! Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
That sliding drawer is a neat idea. Sure makes it easy to get to stuff in the pass through. Everything I want to get out is always in the exact geographic center of the pass through! Jay
I know, right? It was almost an exact rip off of one someone else here made. I did that mod first because it was the one I was most excited about.
Old 09-30-2021, 09:46 PM   #4

Today's project was a very simple one...Installing a furrion backup camera.

I got the one with the 5 inch screen, I opted not to go with the 7 inch because...it was a gift, and I can't complain. :-)

Very easy with the prep on the 2022 trailers. Four screws to remove blank plate, plug in camera, find the screw you dropped on the street, and then screw it back in.

Turn on your marker lights, and then aim the camera how you'd like! I am brining a 6 foot step ladder on our trip tomorrow so that I can adjust it how I prefer once I've done some driving and some parking with it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5250.jpg   IMG_5249.jpg   IMG_5248.jpg   IMG_5246.jpg  
Old 10-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #5

Added a little bit more storage to the pantry... Just took photos of one shelf, but I ended up adding 3 between the top and bottom cabinets. A bit of 1x1 poplar brad nailed into the studs and face frame of the cabinet for support, and some 1/2" plywood for the shelf.

Edge banding and stain will have to wait, the shelf is just placed in there for now so I can pull them out over the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5298.jpg   IMG_5297.jpg  
Old 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #6

On our model, (24RBS), the only thing we have resembling a pantry is an over head cabinet above the sink. Luckily for us it already has shelves. The DW put in wire baskets to keep stuff from moving around. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 01:04 PM   #7

It's been a little while since I've done any work to the trailer, aside from replacing one of the stabilizer jacks that had a little "incident" with a snowbank during one of our winter camping adventures.

Added a solar panel. This 120 watt coleman solar panel was at Costco for $259CAD. Z Clips, MC4 connectors, Butyl Tape, and controller from Amazon came out to about $120. Just waiting on some Dicor to arrive to finish it off.

The pre wire port on my roof was full of dicor from when it was installed, so aside from cleaning that out, it was fairly easy to hook up the panel. Note that from the factory, that connector is connected to 12 volts already, so do not connect your panel until you've installed your controller.

Doing the cutout inside, those wires I mentioned are connected to 12v already are TIGHT up against the back of the luan, so locate them and avoid them when cutting! I had a few sparks. Luckily I hit them on the bottom edge with the oscillating tool, not the top, so I still had enough length to connect to the controller. There's lots of slack down below, but you'd have to splice some more wire in if you cut them up top.

Also installed an LED light above the outdoor kitchen sink. I just used some spade terminal Y adapters to steal power from the refrigerator via a couple of well placed 1/4" holes to get from the kitchen to the fridge enclosure.

I didn't take any photos of it, but I also installed a "SoftStartRV" on the air conditioner, it was fairly straight forward if you read the instructions and follow line by line. My generator used to struggle starting the air conditioner on very hot days, but no issue now.

Looks like it's time to clean my roof!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1910.jpg   IMG_1908.jpg   IMG_1903.jpg  
Old 06-28-2023, 02:51 PM   #8

Okay, a couple more for today... New switch panel with voltmeter, 12v plug, and 2 x 2amp USB ports.

Hooked up some downlights in the cabinets to use as night lights for the kids. Planning to run a few more of these towards the back of the trailer but have run out of time for today.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1914.jpg   IMG_1916.jpg   IMG_1917.jpg  
Old 07-02-2023, 08:26 PM   #9

Looks great. The big drawer in your pass through has my wheels turning.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboy1989 View Post
Looks great. The big drawer in your pass through has my wheels turning.
Thank you!

I saw that idea in someone else's mod thread here, and I have quite liked it so far. The downside of it is that the door is much smaller than my passthrough, so I've given up a fair bit of storage space. I am undecided if I'll keep it or remove it...