Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #41

For the voltage monitors I had to cut large enough holes that I was able to use a small piece of trim wood behind the panel. That was also true when I was working on the main monitor panel, I discovered that one side was screwed in to wood, the other side was just in the panel. After I messed with it a while it was pretty stripped out on that side so I backed the panel with a strip of 1 X 1/2. A little glue, slap it on the back and screw it together.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #42

Thank you. DW prefers we take a couple trips before I break out the tools. I'm quietly putting together a shopping list and project list. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #43

Well, we've had the RV for six years now so I figured it was time to do some more mods. Plus post Covid, we're starting to do some serious travel again - just got back from a five week trip to New Mexico, Arizona and the Grand Canyon.

There are three pages of mods I did to the 5th wheel shortly after we bought it, here's what we decided to do after living with it for 5 years:

1) Took out the couch.

For those of you with this model - you'll realize that there is normally a couch between the recliners and the dinette. After six years of using the trailer we discovered two things:
A) we almost never used the couch since there are only 2 of us and we rarely had others inside the RV.
B) In this model, you have to move one of the heavy recliners out of the way when you close the slide. Jayco proposed turning it upside down on the couch and strapping it down. Seriously? At 70 there is no way I'm lifiting that thing. So we normally just dragged it into the doorway, where it blocked our access and bounced around in transit.

Solution - just take the darn couch out. It turns out it comes apart into 4 pieces each of which we could lift and would fit out the door. It's in my basement now in case the next owner wants it back. I then bolted one of the recliners to the floor of the slideout using a large electrical conduit clip (things look like the letter P and are used to clamp metal electrical conduit to walls - look at my post below on installing an Air Fryer to see a photo of one used for another purpose).
We used this setup on our last 5 week trip and it's GREAT. No more moving the chair, no more blocked access, no more bouncing around. And we still don't miss the couch and it makes the interior feel larger!
OH - and I reduced my GVW too.
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-12-2022, 03:50 PM   #44

Installing at Air Fryer

Air Fryers are great! They are amazingly versatile, especially the ones shaped like toaster ovens that can also bake, toast, heat, broil, etc.

The ovens that come with most RV's aren't so great. We tried to use ours several times and gave up. It took forever to heat up, would never get much above 350 degrees, and was too small to do much. We haven't used it for anything but storage for a few frying pans for years.

Several posts on this forum have recently showed installing Air Fryers in various places around the RV. In our 5th Wheel we tried just keeping one on the counter but we all know how much counter space RV's have - so no - that's didn't work well at all.

I discovered a brand/model of Air Fryer that I thought would fit perfectly in the space normally used for the Oven. The PowerXL available from Amazon or Walmart (I picked mine up from Walmart).

First step was to remove the Atwood stove/oven combination. Take the grill off, push the top to the back and lift it off, remove four screws from the sides, disconnect the gas (remember to turn it off at the tanks first), and lift the thing right out. I had examined mine to see if the stove and oven could be separated and decided that was too much modification - especially of the gas plumbing. Look at your stove combination brand to see if it can be separated easily.
I chose to buy this one as a replacement:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GCNNBMR
I chose it because it's flush with the counter top and has a built in glass cover. So far I like it.

Next I had to box in the space under the stove where the oven used to be. I had a bunch of scrap lumber in my shop so that influenced what I used.
First I ripped some 2X4's on my table saw into 1X1s. You want to keep things light in an RV.

I used these to frame out the "box" under the stove. I didn't take photos of this step because it's going to differ greatly depending on the cabinet you're modifying. Basically I ran three 1X1s from the floor to the bottom of the counter top along each side (six in all). I used metal L brackets to attach the top and bottom of the middle 1X1's to the floor and counter top respectively. The front and back 1X1s attached to the front wall and back wall of the cabinet with glue and screws (pick your screw length carefully!). Next I screwed 1X1s horizontally making a box where I wanted the "floor".

In this picture you can see the walls and floor of the cabinet. To make the walls I took 1/8in hardboard (like pegboard but without the holes!) and glued and screwed it to the 1X1's using flat head wood screws that would pull down tight and flush.
Next I glued aluminum sheets to the hardboard with rubber cement. You paint the cement on both the hardboard and aluminum, let it dry a minute and apply - make sure you get it positioned right because you won't move it once it touches :-)!
It turns out that I needed 3 pieces of 12in X 24in aluminum and Home Depot sells that precut and polished!
https://www.homedepot.com/p/24-in-x-12-in-Sheet-Metal-0-025-in-T-Polished-Aluminum-800697/204373306

I used the aluminum both to make the compartment easy to clean and to reflect heat. The Air Fryer doesn't get all that hot on the outside - probably not as hot as the traditional oven that it replaced but I just like the idea of metal walls.

You'll also notice the AC outlet I added to the back of the compartment. Since my Electrical panel is just below this - it was really easy to add a breaker to the box and I have a dedicated 15a outlet.

Speaking of heat, the stove I purchased has a vent in the back.

This photo is a bit weird, but you're looking UP at the bottom of the back of the stove. Notice the vents that will allow any heat the Air Fryer does create to vent out of the compartment. Also, I framed this compartment up so there is a minimum of 4 inches between the outside cabinet of the Air Fryer and the walls of the cabinet. This will allow sufficient airflow around the cabinet.

And here's how the final install looks:

I always forget that this forum software won't handle vertical photos! Sorry about that - just turn your head sideways :-).
The dimensions of the PowerXL are almost PERFECT for this enclosure.

Now, you ask, how do you keep it from sliding around during transit - yet make it easy to remove?
Coduit clamps to wrap around the plastic legs and hold them against the front edge of the cabinet!

You'll also notice some holes and scaring to the wood caused by the bottom of the old oven - I tried staining these but not sure what else I'm going to do - they don't show much when the Air Fryer is in place.

Questions - just ask!
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-12-2022, 04:23 PM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Well, we've had the RV for six years now so I figured it was time to do some more mods. Plus post Covid, we're starting to do some serious travel again - just got back from a five week trip to New Mexico, Arizona and the Grand Canyon.

There are three pages of mods I did to the 5th wheel shortly after we bought it, here's what we decided to do after living with it for 5 years:

1) Took out the couch.

For those of you with this model - you'll realize that there is normally a couch between the recliners and the dinette. After six years of using the trailer we discovered two things:
A) we almost never used the couch since there are only 2 of us and we rarely had others inside the RV.
B) In this model, you have to move one of the heavy recliners out of the way when you close the slide. Jayco proposed turning it upside down on the couch and strapping it down. Seriously? At 70 there is no way I'm lifiting that thing. So we normally just dragged it into the doorway, where it blocked our access and bounced around in transit.

Solution - just take the darn couch out. It turns out it comes apart into 4 pieces each of which we could lift and would fit out the door. It's in my basement now in case the next owner wants it back. I then bolted one of the recliners to the floor of the slideout using a large electrical conduit clip (things look like the letter P and are used to clamp metal electrical conduit to walls - look at my post below on installing an Air Fryer to see a photo of one used for another purpose).
We used this setup on our last 5 week trip and it's GREAT. No more moving the chair, no more blocked access, no more bouncing around. And we still don't miss the couch and it makes the interior feel larger!
OH - and I reduced my GVW too.
Excellent! It's a one hole,or two hole, conduit strap, btw.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Air Fryers are great! They are amazingly versatile, especially the ones shaped like toaster ovens that can also bake, toast, heat, broil, etc.

The ovens that come with most RV's aren't so great.

Questions - just ask!
Can’t agree more with the air fryers. We still have the oven, only been on 2 trips with the camper, but have quit taking the charcoal grill (22” Weber) with us for some time now. May convert an old hot dog portable compressor tank to a small charcoal grill as I still like about anything on the grill, but the air fryer comes close.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #47

Onyrlef - I think either type of conduit clamp would work but I used a 1in one hole. because I had a couple in my junk drawer :-).
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 02-09-2023, 04:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Questions - just ask!
When are you coming over to do all these mods on my 24B Class C?!?!
1985 Champion SuperFisher
Mjliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:05 PM   #49

Actually I get to Dallas quite a bit - my older daughter lives in Garland.
How much is it worth to you :-).
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 02-10-2023, 12:51 AM   #50

That depends - where in Garland??
Old 02-12-2023, 09:33 PM   #51

Quote:
I always forget that this forum software won't handle vertical photos! Sorry about that - just turn your head sideways :-).
Easy fix. Edit your picture in some fashion. It can be something as simple as cropping it by 1 pixel. That resets some meta data in the pic that this forum cannot read properly. Your portrait pics will then display in portrait fashion.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:51 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Easy fix. Edit your picture in some fashion. It can be something as simple as cropping it by 1 pixel. That resets some meta data in the pic that this forum cannot read properly. Your portrait pics will then display in portrait fashion.
Here you go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	86334

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oven2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	86335
jyh818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyh818 View Post
Awesome! Glad it worked for you. I had another seasoned member here teach me that trick last year.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 01:49 AM   #54

Quote:
Actually I get to Dallas quite a bit - my older daughter lives in Garland.
How much is it worth to you :-).
Ok @BuddyRay - didn't hear from you so we had to move forward on our own. Kitchen remodel almost complete after one full day:
- cutout counter for new workstation single-bowl sink - done.
- remove drawer under cooktop and build out for new combo oven/air fryer - done.
- replace silly pulldown accessory thingy to hold sponges with real drawer made from one removed for above - done.
- move paper towel holder from over the sink (and in our faces) to small unused space on the wall - done.
- install piano hinges to the fronts of the u-shaped dinette and purchase soft-sided baskets to fit underneath - done.

Left are to steal electrical for the oven and put in box/outlet, finalize the plumbing for the sink as the drain is in a different location and install the sink along with new faucet. Find matching stain for the newly cut pieces of 'wood' and look for a trim kit/pieces to clean up around the newly built-in oven. Also intend to remove the seatbelt brackets from both sides of the dinette, as we have zero interest in having anyone ride back there, and install a pull-out drawer under the one nearer to the kitchen for the pots and pans that have been displaced from the drawer that is now the home for the oven.

That's all for this weekend. Let me know when you'll be around and we can do an in-person show and tell!!
Old 04-05-2023, 07:19 AM   #55

Sink and oven installed. They're wonderful!
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen sink.jpg   installed oven.jpg  
Old 04-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #56
Site Team

Those look great. Nice job making it the way you want it. Congratulations!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote