Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

My Mods Blog

Hi everyone,
I plan on doing a few different mods on my Jayco X23B Hybrid over the next few weeks/months and I thought I would share what I did and how I did it along with parts list and supplier links. Some, if not most, of the mods done are from ideas that other owners have put here on the forum. I have already benefited and appreciate the info others have posted on here so I am just ďpaying it forwardĒ. With most of these there will be more than one way to do them; I am just going to show how I did it.
Jeremy B.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #2

LED replacement in Exterior Marker Lights:

Since Jayco hasnít starting using LED in their exterior lights, I thought this would be a great first mod. There is several different business that sell LEDís and all of them are at different prices. I always try to get what will work at the best price. So for this mod I went to Ebay to search out for LED replacements for the Marker Lights which takes a 194 automotive bulb. I was able to find a vendor who had 194 bulb equivalents (T10) in LEDís. This vendor has a 10pack of the LEDís for $7.10 with free shipping. So I tried these out and I loved them and found that these were going to work perfectly. Here is the link to the Ebay vendor: Click Here. These LEDís are a Cool White (temp color 6,000-6,500K) and are extremely bright. I donít know what the lumens are for the LEDís but the 194 incandescent bulb is 25 lumens
When installing these or any LED replacement bulbs, you have to make sure you get the polarity correct otherwise they wonít work. You will not hurt the LEDís by putting them in backwards. If they donít work just pull the bulb out and flip it over and reinsert.
Jeremy B.
P.S. I have no connection or relation to any vendors or links that I use on my post.
Attached Thumbnails
Marker Light with 194 bulb.jpg   Marker Light with T10 LED.jpg  

Old 07-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #3

LED replacement in interior lights:

I wanted to have LED’s in my interior light because they use less amps, run cooler & last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs. The bulbs in the lights are a 921 automotive bulb. So again I went to Ebay to search out a LED replacement. I found some that weren’t too expensive and I thought I would give them a try. Well I forgot to pay attention to what the lumens were for the 921 bulb compared to the LED replacement I had found. Needless to say I was very disappointed with the low lumens I was getting from the LED’s. The 921 bulb has lumens of 263 initially but then drops to 105 once the bulb is “broke in”. So it was back to the hunt for a suitable LED replacement. I have found another LED option and hope to receive it soon. Once I have these new ones installed I will let you know what happens. Below is a comparison between the 921 and my first LED replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Failed interior LED replacement.jpg  
Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

Thanks for that one I really need that one for driving in the fog or rain going down the Pacific Coast.
Keep them coming
Tunce
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #5

LED replacement in interior lights UPDATE:

Being the first LED attempt didn’t go so well, I worked on finding another LED option. I found one on Ebay and they arrived yesterday. These replacements are LED panels with three different plug-in attachments. They are a little “hotter” than a warm white LED but they are real close and they have a lumens of 280 which is real close to the same amount of light that the 921 bulb emits. So after installing these in one of my interior lights, I was extremely pleased with the amount of light and the “color/temp” of the white LED.

Jeremy B.
Attached Thumbnails
Interior Light LED 3.jpg   Interior Light LED 1.jpg   Interior Light LED 2.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #6

Can I ask why you changed your exterior lights? I was interested in switching my interior lighting, for coolness and saving battery power when not on a site with electricity, however wasn't so concerned about the exterior lights?
PoohbearT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohbearT View Post
Can I ask why you changed your exterior lights? I was interested in switching my interior lighting, for coolness and saving battery power when not on a site with electricity, however wasn't so concerned about the exterior lights?
A couple of reasons; one I don't have to worry about the bulbs burning out (happens a lot on a cargo trailer I have) and for higher visibility even though I don't plan on driving during the night, its just for those early morning departures. This is something that wouldn't be "high" on my priority list, I just did it first because it was real easy to do.
Jeremy B.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #8

Thank you! Unfortunately, most times I leave on a trip I arrive at night, so your exterior mod might make sense for me as well. I hadn't thought of looking at the bulbs when I purchased the trailer, and when I got it home, was surprised they weren't LED.
PoohbearT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

Do those LED panels stick onto the metal heat shield with an adhesive backing? And does the colour of the light compare to the original? It looks pretty close from the picture.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Do those LED panels stick onto the metal heat shield with an adhesive backing? And does the colour of the light compare to the original? It looks pretty close from the picture.
They already have a 3M adhesive foam backing on them and I just stuck them to the heat shield. The color of these are a little whiter then the 921 (ie they don't have the deep yellow hue that the 921 bulb has). I would say they resemble more of a daylight color (Pure White - 3500-4000K) but not the (Cool White - 6000K) color that has the "blue" hue. Its hard to see in the photo, but it is noticeable in person.