Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2019, 12:17 PM   #1

Nest Thermostat

I have a spare Nest thermostat that I was thinking about installing in my TT. I currently have a Honeywell digital in there now. I figured I would get a 12-24v step-up converter to power the Nest.

However, I'm wondering if this poses a problem because won't the Nest send 24v to the heater and AC relays to trigger them? Obviously they are all 12v so that won't work. Any one tried this and have insights if this will work or not?

The Honeywell works great but I just finished up the network and wifi install so I thought having the Nest might be nice since I could manage it remotely (especially when we leave the dog behind). Plus I have it just sitting here not being used.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:15 PM   #2

I have been thinking about this too. I have the Nest Hello doorbell and wanted to add the thermostat to the collection. Hopefully someone chimes in to say if it’s possible or not.
Justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #3

If all you have is 12volts, that's all the stat has. As a retired AC guy, thriow the nest in the trash. If you just have to have the internet link just get another Honeywell with wifi. Either way all your usage data gets sent to somebody to help design an ad just for you.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
If all you have is 12volts, that's all the stat has. As a retired AC guy, thriow the nest in the trash. If you just have to have the internet link just get another Honeywell with wifi. Either way all your usage data gets sent to somebody to help design an ad just for you.
So is your point that if I feed the Nest 24v to power it, it can only pass 24v along to the heater and AC relays to trigger them? That makes sense, and in that case it doesn't work and would damage the relays.

As someone who has worked for a media company as a web developer, I don't doubt that Nest collects data. Every piece of Internet connected hardware collects data. That's not a debate to be had in this thread, but it doesn't deter me from using the Nest thermostat (I have four in my house now running different zones).

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #5

I'm not debating the data gathering , it's an FYI for those that do not realize everything that goes on with these wifi tstats and you wanted an opinion on the quality of a nest & working voltage.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

Check this video. It can be done, but you will need some relays.
carloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
So all that thermostat data (one record for each 5 minutes) that I have from 2009 for my ecobee SMART thermostat is useless? It saved me over $500 one Saturday morning. Here in central Florida the temperature very seldom gets under 40. I woke up that morning and noticed that it was a bit nippy in the house.

At 9 AM I called the AC guy and gave him the info, he said it was the logic card and he did not have any and would have to order one on Monday. I called another AC guy (Big AC company here), pretty much the same answer and I asked him what the logic card would cost... a minimum of $500 plus installation and testing.

I decided to query my thermostat database and it showed that the interior temperature was dropping since 4AM. The stats showed that it was 35 outside and the heat pump was not getting activated (supply duct temp) or the secondary resistance heating was not getting activated. The Energy Management system did not show any major current draw either.

I then went to check the thermostat settings on the computer and low and behold, the heat pump cutoff was changed from 25 degrees where I set it, to 40 degrees. The secondary resistance heating was deactivated. Reset them to my numbers and the system went back to normal.

So, what caused the system to change my settings. No clue, other than we had some MAJOR lightning hits near our house last summer. I did not see any major voltage spikes or brownouts on the electric service since January of 2018, which is monitored by my Energy Management system. Although the thermostat's humidity sensor has been acting weird. Possible thermostat firmware upgrade glitch, possible.

We could also go into the AC units increasing (over time) output temperature at the supply duct that alerted me to a possible problem low level of Freon (15 year old system, with 2 computerized zones) a few years ago.

Data is a TOOL, just like the pressure meters, temperature meters, multimeters. When used properly it becomes a VALUABLE tool, to see how the system has been running, and changes up to the problem time.

The next generation of thermostats are going to communicate with the HVAC systems, not like the current generation that just tells the HVAC system what to do without knowing if it is doing it or not. I am one of the lucky guys that incorporated my 3 systems to keep me informed as to how the house is doing. Smart thermostat, Home Automation system and Energy Management. The ALL talk to each other, and I have them programmed to give me alerts... just need to create a program to compare the current thermostat settings to the settings that I put in. That's another day.

So with the $500 of savings, I went out and purchased more Home Automation toys....

I Love my toys.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:08 AM   #8

Sounds like trouble waiting to happen!
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettt View Post
Sounds like trouble waiting to happen!
They are missing the point which is google, Amazon etc are also getting the data. That's all I am saying. The debate as to whether digital tstats save
$ is another topic & I believe they can/will. It's just some folks don't like the new set of eyes in their home
Tstats that communicate with all the equipment or send data are not new and I had several systems that sent me logs at my office and eventually to my cell phone.
You nest guys I think if you have a minimum of 3.7 volts it will operate and charge the built in battery's but it's been 7 or 8 yrs since I took their online course and I never installed any. I didnt use them, liked 3 other brands better which all used capacitive discharge for backup instead of batterys
Old 04-08-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloss View Post
Check this video. It can be done, but you will need some relays.
Thanks for this. Mystery solved. Now to decide if I want to take this on or not.

Gone but not forgotten: